Is there a term in Psychiatry for people who prefer to live their lives in fear?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Even very early on in the scamdemic, when there were still a lot of unknowns, I remember seeing people driving alone in their cars, wearing masks. Even then, I thought it was the absolute dumbest thing I had ever seen.

I think that particular act, wearing a mask alone in your car, has to be a signal of other, deeper mental issues.
    Just the other day, saw an elderly woman driving a convertible with the top down wearing one of those blue disposable masks. No one else in the car. Thought long and hard but couldn’t come up with any rational reason for it. Possibly allergic to pollen was the best I could do, but if that was the case, wouldn’t putting the top down and turning on the air conditioner be better? Wasn’t driving fast enough to suggest a bank robbery getaway!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Flame suit on

Why does it matter? I carry a firearm that I’ll hopefully never have to use. I spend lots of money on firearms and ammunition to train to protect myself and family. Am I living in fear? If I’m not mistaken wasnt it a crime to wear a mask while carrying in a bank that is now legal? If my memory is correct then it’s actually helped get rid of at least 1 firearm law.
    I don’t think it’s irrational to carry a firearm, per se. If you carry it because you live in constant fear of everything, I think the irrational thing is the fear, not the carrying. I carry for the same reason I have a spare tire for the truck and keep it maintained. In case I need it. There’s a non zero chance that I will.

Contrast that with wearing a mask. What’s the rationale? It was more rational at one point because there was the plausibility that it might keep you from getting covid. That plausibility is gone now.

I still see people driving alone in their cars with a dirty looking surgical mask on that looks like they’ve used the same one since the beginnings. It’s reasonably to ask, WTF are they afraid of? One might ask an armed person, WTF are they afraid of. The reasonable response is, I don’t carry because I’m afraid. I do it to have options in case I’m caught in a bad situation. Maybe there is a rational reason why the guy is wearing a dirty mask while driving alone in a car with he windows up. It damn sure isn’t apparent if there is one. Occam’s razor. That MF’r is crazy.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Try Quercetin. It's natural, and has many health benefits.
    I take it every day. Colds have gone through the house and I haven’t caught them. Never caught covid. Never vax’d. Maybe it’s the Quercetin. Who knows.

But. I still am allergic to certain pollens. Makes my throat close and it’s hard to breathe. And if prolonged exposure I become a high production snot factory. I doubt quercetin has any affect on allergies.

Lpherr

Occupied
    I take it every day. Colds have gone through the house and I haven’t caught them. Never caught covid. Never vax’d. Maybe it’s the Quercetin. Who knows.

But. I still am allergic to certain pollens. Makes my throat close and it’s hard to breathe. And if prolonged exposure I become a high production snot factory. I doubt quercetin has any affect on allergies.
    It works excellent on the Mrs. allergies. She used to require medication to ease the symptoms and now she doesn't need any meds and has no symptoms, or very insignificant symptoms.
    Like anything else, it likely works different for different people. But, it's worth a try.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

I only take it when I have been exposed to noticeably sick people or feel cold or respiratory symptoms coming on. Works like a charm. Wish I had known about it years ago…

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    It is simple common courtesy in parts of Asia to a wear a mask if you think you may have a cold. That's been the case for decades.
    Many of those that have a bugaboo about masks wouldn't dream of letting a surgical team operate on them if they weren't masked.
    Once (I'm embarrassed to say) I found myself driving alone with a mask. I was busy and had become so accustom to it I had forgotten I was wearing it. No biggie.

I stopped wearing a mask long ago but have zero problem with anybody else wearing one. It's simply not my business.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    All these people I see in public seem determined to prolong this covid carp as long as they can. Why? I still people masked at Meijer, in their cars when they're the sole occupant, and even walking their dogs when no one is near them.

I've read news stories and browsed online forums where people are still masking and isolating like it's airborne leukemia. Not high-risk people, just normal, healthy, younger people.

What is this all about, and is there a term for it that can be found in the DSM? I'm genuinely curious.
    The general term of democrat applies.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    There was one positive that came out for me with the mask mandates. My job requires that I enter several homes a day. Some are worse than the local landfill. Being able to wear a mask afforded me the opportunity to gently spray the outside of the mask with air freshener before I wore the mask to aid in retarding the indoor aromatic scents that most people never have to deal with daily.

willie2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    elkhart
    Hypochondriasis or hypochondria is a condition in which a person is excessively and unduly worried about having a serious illness. Hypochondria is an old concept whose meaning has repeatedly changed over its lifespan.[1] It has been claimed that this debilitating condition results from an inaccurate perception of the condition of body or mind despite the absence of an actual medical diagnosis.[2] An individual with hypochondriasis is known as a hypochondriac. Hypochondriacs become unduly alarmed about any physical or psychological symptoms they detect, no matter how minor the symptom may be, and are convinced that they have, or are about to be diagnosed with, a serious illness.[3]
    I knew a lady that was "always sick"...if someone was feeling bad, she was sick the next day. Not sure if she was actually sick or looking for sympathy

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Flame suit on

Why does it matter? I carry a firearm that I’ll hopefully never have to use. I spend lots of money on firearms and ammunition to train to protect myself and family. Am I living in fear? If I’m not mistaken wasnt it a crime to wear a mask while carrying in a bank that is now legal? If my memory is correct then it’s actually helped get rid of at least 1 firearm law.

Corona virus survival rate is about 99.7%

Violent crime rate in Indianapolis is about 0.73% (on the low side)

The numbers will vary with the sample selected and definition of variables.

You can't stop an airborne virus (otherwise no one would catch a cold or flu). You can stop a violent criminal.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Is it bad that I simply don't care what others do unless they are invading my space? (which is not to say I'm not aware as I try to keep some situational awareness about me).

If someone wants to wear a mask, let them. Just like plenty of other things people do that I wouldn't do, it's still a somewhat free country.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Is it bad that I simply don't care what others do unless they are invading my space? (which is not to say I'm not aware as I try to keep some situational awareness about me).

If someone wants to wear a mask, let them. Just like plenty of other things people do that I wouldn't do, it's still a somewhat free country.
    Yep. Honestly, Covid is so far removed from my mind (other than reading about it on INGO) that I literally don't give it a moment's thought anymore.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Flame suit on

I'd change that to, you carry a flower in case you are attacked.
    guns stop bad guys better than masks stop non-germs.

Top Bottom