• Total voters

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    Going to stir the pot here.

Is the glock 19 obsolete? Back 20 years ago it was probably one of the best pistols.

However for concealed carry there seems to be 1.5 stack guns like the p365xl or hellcat or even a g48 with a shield arms magazine

And for duty use, bigger higher capacity guns exist.

So what is it good for in Anno 2024? A jack of all trades starter pistol for a guy starting out? A detectives gun? Something else I'm not considering

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Have owned and carried for LEO, Security. and personal protection for over 20 years. Don't see anytime soon moving on to another. Uhm, except for a G45-5. Best of both worlds, but my G19-3 is in my nightstand.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I think they are still very relevant. I carry a G19.4 with RMR for work (“duty”) and a Springfield Hellcat Pro with RMR for EDC. In all honesty, I probably shoot the Hellcat better, but after 25 years behind the Glock platform, I have no doubts about ability with it. They are nearly the same size and capacity, with the Hellcat being slightly thinner and a touch easier to conceal AIWB, but if I was a “one and done” guy, I’d most assuredly vote for the G19 due to the vast array of parts, accessories, mags (stendos) and holsters, all for at a lower cost and better availability than Springfield.

For my needs, a handgun is pressed into service and if I had to pick one to suit all of my needs, I wouldn’t hesitate for the G19. My needs are obviously different than most having a “duty” necessity, but a G19 with a spare 21 round mag is a formidable EDC choice.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Why doesnt glock pump out some new mags like sigs design that fits the 19 frame still. Get like 5-6 more rounds, becomes more relevant again. Just seems like the glock 19 being bigger than a sig 365, it should be able to hold 20+ rounds. Maybe im not seeing something

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I see this post as more questioning the viability of the "compact" form factor than the G19 itself. My answer is, "Not at all."

Not everybody wants a tiny gun. Some guys don't have little girly hands but still want something a little smaller than a full-size duty pistol for CCW. I'm not a Glock guy, but most of my collection of semi-auto handguns fall into the traditional "compact" category (P320, P229, P225, P228, Beretta 92X Compact, Springfield EMP4, etc.), which is pretty much defined by the G19.

Not everybody is trying to conceal, either. The G19 makes a decent duty gun, or woods carry piece, and its size difference from the G17 keeps it from digging into the seat of the car so much, and makes it easier to slip into a CCW rig after work. Yet it gives up very little in terms of shootability to the "full-size" gun.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The Glock 19 may have slowed a bit in overall sales numbers, mainly due to the increase in competitive products and options, but is it any less viable?
    Answer: Absolutely not!
    I do like the Glock 26 (with a Glock 19 magazine and an X-Grip spacer) and, lately, the Glock 45...but that, in no way, diminishes the Glock 19's viability!

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Why doesnt glock pump out some new mags like sigs design that fits the 19 frame still. Get like 5-6 more rounds, becomes more relevant again. Just seems like the glock 19 being bigger than an sig 365, it should be able to hold 20+ rounds. Maybe im not seeing something
    This is just unfortunately due to Glock’s magazine design. The plastic shell over over the metal liner is just bulkier than metal mag designs. When I put a G19 mag next to a Hellcat Pro mag, they are obviously much different in size while having the same capacity. Hence why Shield Arms made a metal mag to put 15 rounds in the G43X/48. Glock could do it, but they obviously won’t retool entire factories to make new mags, and they don’t have any financial incentive to change styles at this point with millions of mags out in circulation and assumably thousands in storage and aftermarket companies already making products to fill that niche.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    The Glock 19 Gen 2 was my first Glock back in 1993. I don't shoot my Gen 3 as much as I used to, but it is definitely not obsolete. I replaced the old dim night sights today with new XS Sights night sights. My son had this one for awhile till I found a nice used G19 Gen 5 for him. I missed my Gen 3 so much I traded him and got it back. Glock 19 (Gen 3) 9mm TLR-7 LS.jpg
    My son's G19 Gen 5. It's an early one with the grip cutout, but it was essentially new. I put my old TLR-3 on it until he can get a better light.
    Glock 19 (Gen 5) 9mm LS.jpg
    Used Glock 19's can be had for good prices and make an excellent first pistol for personal and home defense. They are not for everyone, but they definitely have their place.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Why doesnt glock pump out some new mags like sigs design that fits the 19 frame still. Get like 5-6 more rounds, becomes more relevant again. Just seems like the glock 19 being bigger than a sig 365, it should be able to hold 20+ rounds. Maybe im not seeing something
    I haven't had good luck with glock 19 mags, they just don't hang in for the long haul. Maybe its the ozone layer being eaten away?

11.jpg

CB1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 27, 2018
    Putnam County
    I've witnessed some crazy good shooting from competitors in IDPA matches using Glock 19 's.
    No it is not obsolete. I know for me when under pressure it's going to take a lot more work with the smaller guns to try and match the performance of the 19.

Top Bottom