• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    So, I did after all do the bank run. Took out a bit more that my usual withdrawal (we don't have to go to the ATM with what we keep at home). I originally wanted some 50s and 100s, but they said "We are short on funds right now. Do you mind having that all in 20s?"
    This is a major national bank. At least they had enough.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    So, I did after all do the bank run. Took out a bit more that my usual withdrawal (we don't have to go to the ATM with what we keep at home). I originally wanted some 50s and 100s, but they said "We are short on funds right now. Do you mind having that all in 20s?"
    This is a major national bank. At least they had enough.
    I just went and took out $5K. They had all hundreds and didn't even blink.

rdbs505

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    I just went and took out $5K. They had all hundreds and didn't even blink.
    Did they ask you if you had big plans that day? I always wonder how much of a withdrawal is enough to make them "suspicious " enough to fill out the form 8300. Ever had to deal with that?

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Did they ask you if you had big plans that day? I always wonder how much of a withdrawal is enough to make them "suspicious " enough to fill out the form 8300. Ever had to deal with that?
    The 8300 trigger is $10k.
    But if you withdraw measured amounts large enough, you might get a visit.
    My local coin shop had an especially busy week a couple of years back.
    His wife made several runs to get cash from the business account (none 10k or more).
    He told me an IRS agent and sheriff's deputy dropped by to visit.
    He got a little defense and explained to the agent how his business is heavy on cash transactions.
    He invited the agent to come back after close and inspect his books all he wanted to. The agent declined.
    He spoke up and asked the deputy what he was there for (they knew each other). The deputy wouldn't make much eye contact.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    His wife made several runs to get cash from the business account (none 10k or more).
    He got a little defense and explained to the agent how his business is heavy on cash transactions.
    He invited the agent to come back after close and inspect his books all he wanted to. The agent declined.
    He spoke up and asked the deputy what he was there for (they knew each other). The deputy wouldn't make much eye contact.

Multiple transactions adding up to $10k is actually more suspicious to banks than one big one of $10k or more. At that point, they assume you know the $10k rule and are trying to skirt it with multiple transactions.

Speaking of nosy bank tellers... We decided to move some cash from one online bank to another, by way of our regional bank checking account, to spread the risk around. When the money showed up at the regional bank, I also went to the branch to pull a couple grand out to keep handy. When the teller saw the balance, she told me that was a lot of cash to keep in a checking account. I told her it wouldn't be there long. She asked what my plan was for it. I told her I was just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Which company selling silver rounds/bars has the lowest mark-up?
    Depends. Lately it's been SDBullion with their generic rounds. But it depends on what you want and what day it is.
    100 oz. bars are around $1.75 per ounce above spot. Goes up from there as the item gets smaller.
    Findbullionprices is a good start, but I found a number of better deals by going directly to the seller's site.
    Go-to places right now are Monument, SD, silvergoldbull for silver and Liberty Coin for gold commemoratives.

Last edited:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    My bank has never asked, but they now expect me to stop by every month or two to make a major withdrawal. So never any questions (except "how do you want that?") and just pure normal business transaction. SWMBO appreciates not having to stop by the ATM every time she needs cash.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I withdraw deposit that amount and more all the time, never had anybody make a visit to my home, business, let alone a Leo. I don’t even know what an 8300 is.

I guess a lot of folks think 10k is a big chunk of money, it’s not. Lots (and I mean lots) of folks deal with that amount of dollars multiple times a day.

Why in the world would the IRS show up at your home? Or Business? It takes those guys hours to put on there shoes. And a local business had a same day visit, with Leo. He’s already on someone’s radar for unknown reasons. Or?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Yeah, $10K is the official trigger but they can also do it anytime they want.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I withdraw deposit that amount and more all the time, never had anybody make a visit to my home, business, let alone a Leo. I don’t even know what an 8300 is.

I guess a lot of folks think 10k is a big chunk of money, it’s not. Lots (and I mean lots) of folks deal with that amount of dollars multiple times a day.

Why in the world would the IRS show up at your home? Or Business? It takes those guys hours to put on there shoes. And a local business had a same day visit, with Leo. He’s already on someone’s radar for unknown reasons. Or?
    I got a surprise visit from two IRS agents a few years ago so I know darn well it happens. They were wondering why I was taking $5K every day out of my account in Pittsburgh. That tells me they can be and are informed about transactions if the bank feels like it. The problem was I do not have an account in Pittsburgh. However some buttwipes stole my identity along with many, many other people and were filing fraudulent tax returns to get refunds. They were getting TONS of money from our government and they happened to use my ID to open an account in Pittsburgh to receive and store this money.
    The FBI already knew about this and had arrested several people involved. I get emails from them through the Victim Notification System(VNS) and fortunately had saved those emails. I told the IRS agents they should talk to the FBI instead of me. I gave them my Pittsburgh FBI contact name and number and showed them many emails from the VNS and gave them a list of the buttwipes involved.
    Here is that list. I am not violating anybody's privacy - this matter is in the public records through the courts. Notice the good American names on the list. Some of these buttwipes are being deported because they were not even US citizens.
    Xerxes Shevar
    Gcobisa Kehle
    Loyiso Kula
    Abiodun Tijani
    Funmilayo Aliyu
    Samuel Sobaloju
    Kwame Asamoah
    Doherty Kushimo
    Abiodun Bakre
    Saburi Adeyemi
    Adetunji Gbadegeshi
    Adebola Mejule
    Idowu Olugbade
    Alaire Sanya
    Olanrewaju Ajetunmobi
    Olusegun Akinwale
    Olayinka Olurinde
    Festus Owusu

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    No, they didn't care. I take out $5K periodically. A few months ago I took out $9K and they told me I needed to call ahead a few days to get that much. They did give it to me though. I happened to get the one well-known grouchy teller that time. So since then I just do $5K.
    I don't know if they do a form 8300 or not - I figure that is up to them.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville

They stopped by the business, that he opened over 3 decades ago.
    Maybe he'll drop off their radar when his business crosses the 1/2 century mark.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I got a surprise visit from two IRS agents a few years ago so I know darn well it happens. They were wondering why I was taking $5K every day out of my account in Pittsburgh. That tells me they can be and are informed about transactions if the bank feels like it. The problem was I do not have an account in Pittsburgh. However some buttwipes stole my identity along with many, many other people and were filing fraudulent tax returns to get refunds. They were getting TONS of money from our government and they happened to use my ID to open an account in Pittsburgh to receive and store this money.
    The FBI already knew about this and had arrested several people involved. I get emails from them through the Victim Notification System(VNS) and fortunately had saved those emails. I told the IRS agents they should talk to the FBI instead of me. I gave them my Pittsburgh FBI contact name and number and showed them many emails from the VNS and gave them a list of the buttwipes involved.
    Here is that list. I am not violating anybody's privacy - this matter is in the public records through the courts. Notice the good American names on the list. Some of these buttwipes are being deported because they were not even US citizens.
    Xerxes Shevar
    Gcobisa Kehle
    Loyiso Kula
    Abiodun Tijani
    Funmilayo Aliyu
    Samuel Sobaloju
    Kwame Asamoah
    Doherty Kushimo
    Abiodun Bakre
    Saburi Adeyemi
    Adetunji Gbadegeshi
    Adebola Mejule
    Idowu Olugbade
    Alaire Sanya
    Olanrewaju Ajetunmobi
    Olusegun Akinwale
    Olayinka Olurinde
    Festus Owusu
    ^
    ^

Yes, what I mentioned, “already on radar”. I’m surmising in your case they wanted to know, find out, if you were somehow involved. Just a guess of course.

Festus——:lmfao:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    ^
    ^

Yes, what I mentioned, “already on radar”. I’m surmising in your case they wanted to know, find out, if you were somehow involved. Just a guess of course.

Festus——:lmfao:
    I was "already on radar" as far as the FBI was concerned, yes. However I could tell this was all brand new to the IRS agents and they did not have a clue before I told them all about it.

Reactions: Mij

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Remember when former Speaker of the House Dennis Hassert got in trouble some years ago? He was being blackmailed. In order to avoid reporting he made several periodic withdrawals under $10K instead of regular $10K+. He faced no legal trouble from being blackmailed but was charged with Structuring.

Friend of mine used to work in Fraud Detection & Investigation at a regional bank. She just laughed at the shenanigans folks went through for no real reason.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I was "already on radar" as far as the FBI was concerned, yes. However I could tell this was all brand new to the IRS agents and they did not have a clue before I told them all about it.
    I can only imagine this IRS crap is only going to get worse with the current crop of Bozo’s in office. Recall that is how the .gov “got” Capone. Nobody does an end around better than a Fed. Politician.

Top Bottom