• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I came of age during the 80s and 90s with black helicopters, Chinese Hong Kong police coming and UN coded stickers on road signs. So I am naturally wary for no reason. I would buy them if the price was right but as yet I have been able to find a better deal or one close enough.

I am on pause with PMs and this price drop has me squirming. While organizing tax stuff last weekend I made the mistake of totaling up all my purchases for 2022. Probably small in comparison to others here but it was a bit of a shock to see it as a lump sum. So unless gold drops below $1,850 or silver slips below $21, Ima gonna watch.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Probable scam alert:
    Reviewers found it sus, and they are selling assayed gold bars for $1532. Considerably less than spot. Certainly sus, but still tempting. Too good to be true...

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Probable scam alert:
    Reviewers found it sus, and they are selling assayed gold bars for $1532. Considerably less than spot. Certainly sus, but still tempting. Too good to be true...
    Looks like pay with bank wire only. Definitely suspect.

Reactions: Leo

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Thinking about getting a few of these during another dip:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Nice. With that info on the coin they look worth it. I would love to get some but I ordered some 90% at the dip as well. With the ratio so high I've been focusing on sovereign silver. Was able to get dimes at a lower premium than any other sovereign coin, though Britannias are priced well right now.

Last edited:

Blazer90

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Lafayette
    What’s your folks opinion on the 1/10th oz of gold ? Are they not worth messing with ?

I have dabbled in platinum as far as smaller than oz weight. Just curious what you all think of the 1/10th items. Thanks in advance.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    If you can find some with reasonable premiums, it's small enough for transactions.
    Occasionally, you'll find some pieces for about the same cost as 1oz bars or coins.

But 1/10oz (3g) is really small and easily lost.

Are you looking for smaller pieces, or less costly pieces?

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    What’s your folks opinion on the 1/10th oz of gold ? Are they not worth messing with ?

I have dabbled in platinum as far as smaller than oz weight. Just curious what you all think of the 1/10th items. Thanks in advance.
    IF the premium percentage is exact the same as 1oz, I'd say have at it.
    If the premium percentage is higher than on 1oz, I'd pass.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

I don't have much gold at all, and what I do have is that because the price was in the range I was willing to pay. Be careful though a strong breeze will blow those little flakes right out of your hand. I was shocked at how tiny it was when it arrived.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN

They have their place but have really high premiums. You can get ten 1oz silver rounds for about the same cost and have more flexibility to sell or barter if that is your use. If it is to get fiat into gold to hold as wealth, the gram bars which come from respected mints in sealed assay cards are good values. I have found 10q gram bars for very low premiums. a 10 gr bar is 0.32 oz. A 5 gr bar has a little more of a premium but is closer in weight at 0.16 oz.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    They have their place but have really high premiums. You can get ten 1oz silver rounds for about the same cost and have more flexibility to sell or barter if that is your use. If it is to get fiat into gold to hold as wealth, the gram bars which come from respected mints in sealed assay cards are good values. I have found 10q gram bars for very low premiums. a 10 gr bar is 0.32 oz. A 5 gr bar has a little more of a premium but is closer in weight at 0.16 oz.
    I agree. I look at the silver 1oz bars/rounds as a $20 bill post SHTF. The gold is in case someone doesn't want silver. Most of what I've tried to get done with precious metals has been a diversified toolbox, sort of like a mutual fund of precious metals.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I have a few Valcambi combi-bars, and they are divided into 1g sections, all fully labeled. Could be useful as small change, but high premiums. Also a few 1/10oz RCM bars that are fully marked and are $25 denominated. And some 20 Coronas that are 1/5oz each but not marked as such. Shaving off and weighing parts of a 1oz bar could be an issue in "certain circumstances." Fractional gold is currency in some places:
    https://financialpost.com/news/econ...-flakes-of-gold-to-pay-for-meals-and-haircuts

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    In Ferfal's book about the collapse of Argentina a while back, he talks about buying and using 24k necklace chain as small increment currency. You have a length of necklace chain which is marked at the end and one snips off what they need. Of course the snipped length is then unmarked.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I like 1/10 oz gold eagles, currently I could if I wanted to, trade 8 of them for a full oz. eagle. As far as buying them goes the premium is a high hurdle. But the same thing goes for selling them back to a reputable dealer.

They are a method of compacting dollars into a small package. As for losing them, put four in a plastic coin envelope and tape shut. Put in your wallet, you now have ~1000.00 on hand and it’s hard to spot with a casual glance at your wallet.

When I made my last trade gold was lower than it is now, I was offered 306.00 ea. for my 1/10 oz. eagles. That was about 5 or 6 months ago.

If I was going to spend FRN’s on gold rite now, I would go with the Valcambi fractional bars @spencer rifle talks about. Now that is for short to mid term holding. For generational holding I would hold AGE, ASE. JMO.

Top Bottom