• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Just had a thought occur to me... and I think I already know the answer, but I'll ask anyhow. Knowing this information before going to say, the Indy 1500, or any gun show where people are selling silver coins etc. at tables, is that a viable place to buy? I'm guessing it's not, since obviously people will be wanting to make a profit just like they do on ammo.
    The metals market closes from 5p on Friday until 6p Sunday and most gun shows are on weekends so there's that. If it's a weekday show then have your phone out to check spot if you're ready to buy. I've gotten some great deals from INGO members. The gun community has a good portion of silver buyers/sellers/traders

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The metals market closes from 5p on Friday until 6p Sunday and most gun shows are on weekends so there's that. If it's a weekday show then have your phone out to check spot if you're ready to buy. I've gotten some great deals from INGO members. The gun community has a good portion of silver buyers/sellers/traders
    I'm guessing there's an app for that? :): Or is it something that can just be googled? But yeah, most gun shows are going to be starting on Saturdays but the 1500 starts on a Friday afternoon. Is there usually much fluctuation between Friday closing and Sunday's opening though?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I have been hearing that silver may be headed in a similar direction to Gamestop. That silver is being sold on paper and it could take nearly a year to mine that much and the sellers may be short of the physical silver.

Thoughts?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have been hearing that silver may be headed in a similar direction to Gamestop. That silver is being sold on paper and it could take nearly a year to mine that much and the sellers may be short of the physical silver.

Thoughts?
    You know I'm totally ignorant of this stuff, but I'm guessing that what you're describing would be applicable to "paper" silver (silver "stocks") and not so much to physical silver.

Edit: I'm an idiot. That's pretty much what you said! :):

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    All my children nieces and nephew's and soon my 1st grandchild all get a silver eagle of the year they graduated. I'm shocked how much one cost now that I bought for my oldest son's graduation. It's worth $99.95 now to collectors. I paid $18 for it then.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Just had a thought occur to me... and I think I already know the answer, but I'll ask anyhow. Knowing this information before going to say, the Indy 1500, or any gun show where people are selling silver coins etc. at tables, is that a viable place to buy? I'm guessing it's not, since obviously people will be wanting to make a profit just like they do on ammo.
    Do you feel you're more comfortable buying precious metals from a stranger sitting behind a folding table at a gun show or from a web based business or a brick and mortar local store. I wouldn't have any intention in buying precious metals at a gun.

There's a gun show in Fort Wayne at the Coliseum on March 6th. Those have been going down hill for years and it's just a place to get gouged on junk now. I hope to attend a 1500 some day because I've heard good things about those shows.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Do you feel you're more comfortable buying precious metals from a stranger sitting behind a folding table at a gun show or from a web based business or a brick and mortar local store. I wouldn't have any intention in buying precious metals at a gun.

There's a gun show in Fort Wayne at the Coliseum on March 6th. Those have been going down hill for years and it's just a place to get gouged on junk now. I hope to attend a 1500 some day because I've heard good things about those shows.
    For me gun shows mostly suck! Why? Because I am not dumb enough to be the sucker nor knowledgeable enough to to find the diamonds...

Lumpy76

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Hebron
    All my children nieces and nephew's and soon my 1st grandchild all get a silver eagle of the year they graduated. I'm shocked how much one cost now that I bought for my oldest son's graduation. It's worth $99.95 now to collectors. I paid $18 for it then.
    Good job. For Christmas my wife always wanted to buy the nephews (only boys on that side, 6 of them) toys but I would give an ounce or two of silver. Now that they are older they really appreciated it. One is using it for part of his first car now.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

No, I wouldn't necessarily say I'd be more comfortable. Just was wondering if most would be "legit", if I got a wild hair up my butt and decided to buy a couple of coins or whatever. Mainly thinking of pricing compared to regular brokerages. If it's like buying ammo at a gun show, then I would likely steer clear.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    No, I wouldn't necessarily say I'd be more comfortable. Just was wondering if most would be "legit", if I got a wild hair up my butt and decided to buy a couple of coins or whatever. Mainly thinking of pricing compared to regular brokerages. If it's like buying ammo at a gun show, then I would likely steer clear.

I don't know how to test for silver being real or not, so for me I buy direct from websites like apmex.com. I have no real other reason for buying from them other than when I put stuff in the cart, calculate tax, and shipping it's usually the cheapest delivered to my house.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Some things I learned recently:
    Playing the metals market is like playing the stock market. Timing is extremely important, but all the logic and study won't guarantee you anything, except a little better odds.
    Gainesville Coin seems to be cheapest on junk silver, but gold is harder to figure out. Austrian 100 Corona coins tend to have low premiums and be very close to an troy ounce of gold, but are not as widely recognized. Almost no one has Mexican gold pesos at present.
    Findbullionprices.com is like the ammoseek of metals, though I haven't used it enough to trust it completely.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I don't know how to test for silver being real or not, so for me I buy direct from websites like apmex.com. I have no real other reason for buying from them other than when I put stuff in the cart, calculate tax, and shipping it's usually the cheapest delivered to my house.
    When I was buying gold last month at my local dealer who I have known for years he had a fake silver coin. From a layman's standpoint I could not easily tell the difference between it and real silver. If I were buying from someone I did not know/trust I would be very careful.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I think with the rate of printing money, and trillion dollar bills being passed it's past time to get some sort of precious metals in your hands right now. Timing is important in all things, but in this case I'd consider getting a certain level of precious metals a high priority and then try to worry about the convenience of timing purchases later.

At this point I would consider precious metals a higher priority than guns and ammo. Personally, I'm considering selling guns and ammo that I don't need at today's premium and using those funds to put towards silver.

If/when the US dollar collapses it's going to be a good idea to have something that'll easily translate into the new currency.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    At this point I would consider precious metals a higher priority than guns and ammo. Personally, I'm considering selling guns and ammo that I don't need at today's premium and using those funds to put towards silver.
    Already doing that. Selling spare ammo and primers on farmlist for inflated prices to non-INGO people and turning it into silver.

Top Bottom