• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Silver is going up for the same reason SPX is going to 4000. Money printers go brrrrr.
    Crypto is probably a better hedge against inflation though.
    I really can't wrap my head around crypto. Not backed by anything (and I guess the dollar really isn't anymore either though), and totally made up out of thin air. Just seems crazy to me.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I really can't wrap my head around crypto. Not backed by anything (and I guess the dollar really isn't anymore either though), and totally made up out of thin air. Just seems crazy to me.
    Yes it’s made out of thin air. The allure is that there is a finite amount and it’s not controlled by a central banker like jpow. Means Jpows money printers can’t make your 1 Bitcoin have .9 Bitcoin purchasing power.

I honestly think and believe that the feds are cooking the books on the inflation number right now. They say we have no inflation and yet everywhere I look prices are rising. Lumber, gas and all the food commodities are all skyrocketing. If that’s not inflation idk what is.

positions: holding a couple hundred shares of some crypto mining companies as well as a single call. No actual crypto position yet, still trying to decide size of position I’ll take.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I honestly think and believe that the feds are cooking the books on the inflation number right now. They say we have no inflation and yet everywhere I look prices are rising. Lumber, gas and all the food commodities are all skyrocketing. If that’s not inflation idk what is.
    tenor.png

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yes it’s made out of thin air. The allure is that there is a finite amount and it’s not controlled by a central banker like jpow. Means Jpows money printers can’t make your 1 Bitcoin have .9 Bitcoin purchasing power.

positions: holding a couple hundred shares of some crypto mining companies as well as a single call. No actual crypto position yet, still trying to decide size of position I’ll take.
    But how is there a finite amount if all of it is "imaginary"? Who says "this is all there is, and there ain't no more"? :scratch:

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    On the inflation subject bc crypto can’t be manipulated it’s probably the best judge we have of REAL inflation. JPM and many other large institutions hold significant silver positions to back silver ETFs. Now I don’t know what they are doing as the market maker but if it was me I would be making a fortune selling covered calls and then impact the price based on how much extra silver I buy of how much of a short position I take up.

ELI5 version: banks control the price of silver. That’s why you pay over spot. You call it a “premium” I call it the real price.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    But how is there a finite amount if all of it is "imaginary"? Who says "this is all there is, and there ain't no more"? :scratch:
    Sorry for jacking this thread with the crypto talk but The creator sets it that way. That’s actually one of the problems with using crypto. The “mining” is actually people using their computers or dedicated mining machines to process the complicated math problems that are the transactions from one holder to another. The miners are then rewarded with a portion of a coin, the further into the crypto lifecycle we get the smaller the reward. For a while last year the only way it was profitable to “mine” crypto was to steal power.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sorry for jacking this thread with the crypto talk but The creator sets it that way. That’s actually one of the problems with using crypto. The “mining” is actually people using their computers or dedicated mining machines to process the complicated math problems that are the transactions from one holder to another. The miners are then rewarded with a portion of a coin, the further into the crypto lifecycle we get the smaller the reward. For a while last year the only way it was profitable to “mine” crypto was to steal power.
    1613167682438.png

Sheesh... "creator"... "mining"... "steal power"... sounds more like a video game than an investment vehicle. :):

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    On the inflation subject bc crypto can’t be manipulated it’s probably the best judge we have of REAL inflation. JPM and many other large institutions hold significant silver positions to back silver ETFs. Now I don’t know what they are doing as the market maker but if it was me I would be making a fortune selling covered calls and then impact the price based on how much extra silver I buy of how much of a short position I take up.

ELI5 version: banks control the price of silver. That’s why you pay over spot. You call it a “premium” I call it the real price.

Actually I was given a great definition of spot price in the silver thread and I am sorry a cannot remember who to credit. I was told spot is the equivalent of the price of corn on the CBT st $4 a bushel, can you buy corn at that price in the grocery store? So yes, $4 is the real price of a bushel but who is going to give that $4 bushel to you?

Spot is the price for ore that is mined and refined to silver that is sold to the mint that strikes the coins that assure value...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Actually I was given a great definition of spot price in the silver thread and I am sorry a cannot remember who to credit. I was told spot is the equivalent of the price of corn on the CBT st $4 a bushel, can you buy corn at that price in the grocery store? So yes, $4 is the real price of a bushel but who is going to give that $4 bushel to you?

Spot is the price for ore that is mined and refined to silver that is sold to the mint that strikes the coins that assure value...

Hopefully those who shared will see I'm learning! LOL

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The cost of the silver going into the production of a generic 1 oz 0.999 silver bar is the same as the cost for the silver needed to produce a US Eagle coin. This should not be confused with price though. Spot price is the expression of the cost or price of a commodity. When the Chicago Board of Trade says corn is $4.00 per bushel, you won't pay that at the store. If you did, that 16 oz can of corn would run $0.05.

So the price of a unit of silver has to include the cost of production. So since the cost to produce a 1 oz bar, excluding the silver cost, is about the same as that to produce a 10 oz bar, the premium on the larger bar is lower per troy ounce. Many buyers and investors perceive added value to sovereign coins as they are a known quantity and less likely to be of lower quality or even counterfeit.

Here it is, thanks!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I look at the precious metals like silver or crypto currency with a mutual fund mentality because it's going to be better to have a little bit of everything to smooth out spikes or drops in value. The appeal of silver to me is that I physically have it in my possession period. Whether coins or bullion are better is a complete guess and nobody has a clue what would be worth more post SHTF regardless of how smart they think they are. I keep bullion that's clearly labeled with what it is and the weight of it in a new sealed package if at all possible so if I'm bartering post SHTF the stranger who has never followed precious metals before doesn't have to take my word for what it is. At the same time, some people would rather see an officially minted coin for whatever reason they got in their head. For me, I spread it out evenly between the two options. Silver & Gold is not a number on a bank account that can be changed over night like what happened in the island nation of "Cyprus". Look that one up if you can't remember it. Physical cash should be part of this mutual fund concept as well. Crypto currencies are being created every day and pricing fluctuates on a moments popularity contest, but I don't think it's bad to have some of that too, just be aware it's on a computer and despite what people say eventually someone is going to figure out how to steal it like anything else.

If you're thinking financial survival, and you should, think of it like a mutual fund. Some bullion, some coins, some cash, some crypto, some whatever. I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just had a thought occur to me... and I think I already know the answer, but I'll ask anyhow. Knowing this information before going to say, the Indy 1500, or any gun show where people are selling silver coins etc. at tables, is that a viable place to buy? I'm guessing it's not, since obviously people will be wanting to make a profit just like they do on ammo.

Top Bottom