Is It Good For The Gun Cause To Bash Suppliers On The Open Internet?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I told you this but I don’t think you believed me. From the article.

“Some Smiling Kids clients claim the dentistry practice offered gift cards for clients willing to provide 5-star reviews on social media sites.”
    I knew there were bogus reviews. I've heard that about products on Amazon for years. I had never heard of people being bribed to give them though. That's a different situation than Amazon. But I will concede that it apparently does happen. It's never happened to me though.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I knew there were bogus reviews. I've heard that about products on Amazon for years. I had never heard of people being bribed to give them though. That's a different situation than Amazon. But I will concede that it apparently does happen. It's never happened to me though.
    Review us and get a free appetizer, sandwich, etc. Seen those a lot. Give us a great review and we give you X, cant give us a great review, contact us to make it right. Service advisor and dealership service managers begging for ONLY five star reviews and offering to do anything to get them.

Surprised you have not seen them more often but it may just be the difference in places we go. Some are more subtle than others…

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Review us and get a free appetizer, sandwich, etc. Seen those a lot. Give us a great review and we give you X, cant give us a great review, contact us to make it right. Service advisor and dealership service managers begging for ONLY five star reviews and offering to do anything to get them.

Surprised you have not seen them more often but it may just be the difference in places we go. Some are more subtle than others…
    Well now that I think about it, I have seen fast food places print something on the receipt to go to their website and leave a review for a free sandwich or taco or whatever. Didn't specify that it had to be a good review though.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Well now that I think about it, I have seen fast food places print something on the receipt to go to their website and leave a review for a free sandwich or taco or whatever. Didn't specify that it had to be a good review though.
    I wonder what percentage of negative reviews for those FF places end up published?

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County

I had a lady say "If you want to give us a good review, fill out the survey, if not, just forget I said anything about it!" but I think she was kinda making a joke. And I don't even remember where it was now...

Johwar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2020
    Elwood
    I have clearly explained why and made no personal attacks. You completely misstate my point explained clearly in my posts. Not trying to silence anyone, never made such a statement. It is important because we don’t have so many options for folks to go shoot that we can let petty grievances be lodged without comment. Maybe you do.

It is very funny that a week or so ago I was defending Bobcat from a petty charge and some mods liked my posts, but this week I am using the same defense of SPB and the story is different.

What really is ridiculous is the thin skinned nature of so many here.
    Sorry partner but you spent very few words defending SPB. The majority of your words were admonishing me for complaining about a policy and the disrespect I received from the manager.
    I find it interesting that in all the replies about CTD no one has the foggiest idea how such a reviled business can stay in business all these years through all the changes in our world. It is clear there is a true hatred for them. As bad as they are one would think they would fail immediately. How do they survive not only the bad business practices but all the bad publicity?
    Probably on a short leash as the Texas Attorney has charged CTD with dishonest pricing. But for goodness sake, don’t “bash” them.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Review us and get a free appetizer, sandwich, etc. Seen those a lot
    And I would imagine most people are smart enough to see through that kind of thing. If you see 2,000 reviews on a site how much stock do people actually put in that.

I honestly don't place a lot of stock in reviews. In fact, I can remember a time before the internet, where reviews for products were hard to find. Not everyone is a mindless robot buying or not buying based in opinions of strangers on the internet.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Sorry partner but you spent very few words defending SPB. The majority of your words were admonishing me for complaining about a policy and the disrespect I received from the manager.

Probably on a short leash as the Texas Attorney has charged CTD with dishonest pricing. But for goodness sake, don’t “bash” them.
    SPB is a reasonable company from all I have seen. Very few ranges to go to in the cities, need all we can get. There are always two sides to every story…

The Texas gouging law is anti-freedom and possibly unconstitutional. I bashed the AG when this was done.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I try to read good and bad reviews of a product. Then I try to get an idea of whether I care about anything the reviewers are actually saying.
    Especially when they’ve given it a bad review because they expect it to do something it’s clearly not designed to do.

Nickbau5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2020
    Brownsburg
    Just reading the OP, I would say it is 100% necessary to talk about poor practices in the industry if they come up. Let people know is a company is bad to deal with and if that person avoids them because the company has some dumb policy then so be it. I don't think it matters if they support the site, just because they donate to the site doesn't mean it has to become an echochamber/shill forum.

Unwarranted bashing should be discouraged, but it there is valid reasoning then it should be called out. If a gunshop came out with poor decisions and treated customers poorly, they shouldn't be supported and people should be made away of them. If an employee was rude, let people know, if the store is known to artificially raise prices, let people know. Don't feel personally slighted by a critique of a business, it's not like we have to shill them just because they claim "pro 2A".

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Anytime anyone feels 'their policy' trumps the 'customers expectations' is a resolution to conflict, I will predict poor outcome. Probably for both parties involved...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Anytime anyone feels 'their policy' trumps the 'customers expectations' is a resolution to conflict, I will predict poor outcome. Probably for both parties involved...
    Right, And conversely, anytime anyone feels “their expectations“ trumps the businesses expressed policy, I will predict a poor outcome for both parties. Which is what my original post was about…

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Right, And conversely, anytime anyone feels “their expectations“ trumps the businesses expressed policy, I will predict a poor outcome for both parties. Which is what my original post was about…
    Wait. Missing in what you're now saying is what your original post was about is the relevance of "the cause". What we're talking about here is completely separate from that. We're just talking about consumer expectations, business policies and behavior, and the conflicts they can cause in a transaction. I don't think "the cause" belongs in that discussion.

Johwar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2020
    Elwood
    Wait. Missing in what you're now saying is what your original post was about is the relevance of "the cause". What we're talking about here is completely separate from that. We're just talking about consumer expectations, business policies and behavior, and the conflicts they can cause in a transaction. I don't think "the cause" belongs in that discussion.
    Brother you are wasting your breath on this guy.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Damage to 2A vendors is one of the outcomes that could be bad for both parties, and even other 2A supporters.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Just reading the OP, I would say it is 100% necessary to talk about poor practices in the industry if they come up. Let people know is a company is bad to deal with and if that person avoids them because the company has some dumb policy then so be it. I don't think it matters if they support the site, just because they donate to the site doesn't mean it has to become an echochamber/shill forum.

Unwarranted bashing should be discouraged, but it there is valid reasoning then it should be called out. If a gunshop came out with poor decisions and treated customers poorly, they shouldn't be supported and people should be made away of them. If an employee was rude, let people know, if the store is known to artificially raise prices, let people know. Don't feel personally slighted by a critique of a business, it's not like we have to shill them just because they claim "pro 2A".
    Pretty much this.

I would rather post a review online letting people know, as to not push away new potential entrants into our sport, then to let some company quietly screw people while worrying about if airing their crappy practices might damage our sports image.

If the company doesn't care if their practices might damage our sports image, why should I worry about putting my honest review of their crappy practices online?

Edit

More so. Airing our grievances against said crappy practices openly also works in our favor. Because if the anti gunners come out and say hey look this store is horrible, well, we already knew that and posted about it openly to avoid said ****** store.

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    Damage to 2A vendors is one of the outcomes that could be bad for both parties, and even other 2A supporters.
    What the heck is a 2A vendor? You can't buy or sell 2A rights, they are inalienable. It's also not accurate to assume a gun shop is a 2A supporter. Have heard some support gun control and universal back ground checks before.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Something I have noticed here and on forums in general, there never seems to be any thought put to the fact that there are two sides to every story, and the forum usually only hears one side. Why is majority default to take the side of the poster?

Everyone that runs into policies at companies they do not like, and fail to win a challenge to them, feels disrespected anymore. Are there really that many bad employees at gun stores? Particularly places like SPB or Midwest Guns, or Top guns? Those employees are always disrespectful?

Indy area only has a handful of indoor ranges for the near 2 million that live in the area. It just seems like way too often we have posts criticizing these companies for clearly written policies and then everyone piles on.

I will continue to call out what I believe to be frivolous complaints against the few options to shoot for those that have no place to shoot at home. We are trying to grow 2A supporters and frivolous complaints against ranges doesn’t further that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom