• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Only if the question is - "Which gun is so damn ugly that I have to conceal it?"

Oh no you didn't just say that!

shocked-face.jpg

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    While a Glock is ugly to some people, I don't feel that way. I love my G19. Fantastic gun that shoots very well, looks great and feels better in my hand than every other gun I've tried, with the possible exception of my Ruger SR1911. 9mm is a great round for the range, being less expensive than most other rounds and having less recoil. 15 rounds in a compact gun is nice. The G19 has a lot going for it and mine is definitely a gun I'll never get rid of. Good luck trying one out and deciding if it's right for you.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Only if the question is - "Which gun is so damn ugly that I have to conceal it?"

You also realize that every time you draw your Glock, even in a 100% legit self-defense situation, you're automatically hit with a charge of indecent exposure. If there is a dog around, you'd get arrested for animal cruelty.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    While a Glock is ugly to some people, I don't feel that way. I love my G19. Fantastic gun that shoots very well, looks great and feels better in my hand than every other gun I've tried, with the possible exception of my Ruger SR1911.

That's a man with taste! The 1911 is a great gun, and you get extra style points for it!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Because I already have a Sig 226 filling the role in my lineup of a full sized pistol. I was originally just going to buy a conversion barrel or exchange kit for the Sig, but I got to thinking and I like the idea of a "compact" pistol as well that could be concealed but also would be at home on the range.

You do know that the m&p comes in a few different sizes, right? And that includes a compact version.

If you liked it and shot it well, I just don't see the reason to change.

theboilermaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    F.W.
    You do know that the m&p comes in a few different sizes, right? And that includes a compact version.

If you liked it and shot it well, I just don't see the reason to change.

I really don't have anything against the M&Pm series of pistols, and I would consider the 9c, but I think that it is quite a bit smaller than the 19 in sight radius making me wonder how it would be on the range.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    As others wrote, both are fine handguns. Keep the Sig, those are drying up on the used market. G19's are pretty common, but I like mine(G19) as a well balanced CCW. Both calibers give you some flex if supply is short. 9mm or 40cal, both great tools for their design. Self defense firing will be under 10yds, and you will be dialing 911. Had a Sig 40, and a Sig 9, sold off both. Should have kept the Sig 40! Good luck in your choices. Lot of others out there, so you do need at least 2!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    For me, each gun has a role to play. There's no sense having two guns that do the same job until all those roles are filled. After that, get whatever you want.

I personally only worry about filling a couple of roles, but like to have a deep bench for those roles.

Any advice on the gen 4s? I'm hearing mixed reports. Is there a range of used gen 4s that should be avoided?

I've had more brass to the face issues with fairly recent Gen 3's than the Gen 4's, and those were fixed up with a Gen 4 ejector. My brother had a gen 3 that ejected like a water sprinkler. I think he got it mostly fixed up by swapping ejector and with an apex extractor if I recall correctly.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a gen 4 these days.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    While a Glock is ugly to some people, I don't feel that way. I love my G19. Fantastic gun that shoots very well, looks great and feels better in my hand than every other gun I've tried, with the possible exception of my Ruger SR1911. 9mm is a great round for the range, being less expensive than most other rounds and having less recoil. 15 rounds in a compact gun is nice. The G19 has a lot going for it and mine is definitely a gun I'll never get rid of. Good luck trying one out and deciding if it's right for you.

I'd have to agree. It's fun to poke fun at the simple lines of a Glock, but when it comes down to it, a G19/G23 is a pretty good looking gun. The XD seems cluttered and overly textured to me, but the Glock's clean simple lines are nice in their own right.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I have tiny hands, like whopper jr. hands. Glocks are just a tad bit too large for me to grip comfortably. Thus why my go to are M&P's, as they are a bit slimmer.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    Glocks Rock! You got to love all the Glock haters even if they are wrong! LOL. Lets see dependable, accurate, straight forward and simple, well tested. Yea think I will keep mine around. 17,23,26 and I am sure more to come.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    9mm Sig P229 seems a possible choice for you. A bit heavier than the Glock, but a decent belt and holster makes that a non-issue.

I would avoid going back and forth between Glock and Sig. You'll never be as good with one as you could have been if you try to switch back and forth. Under stress, you want everything to be as ingrained into your instincts as possible, you don't want different grip angles, sights, trigger pulls, etc. For me, I'd say see which one you like best and then stick with that platform and train hard with it.

I don't presume to know how much training you've had, but working with someone who's able to coach you with your grip and make sure you're controlling recoil as well as you can may help you feel less "flip" with the .40.

AceDerringer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I wouldn't jump to a Glock without trying the HK VP9... its a little larger than the G19 I think but its definitely worth a look... The trigger is second to none and virtually no flip...love it... If you are in the Fort Wayne area I would let ya shoot mine...

theboilermaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    F.W.
    9mm Sig P229 seems a possible choice for you. A bit heavier than the Glock, but a decent belt and holster makes that a non-issue.

I would avoid going back and forth between Glock and Sig. You'll never be as good with one as you could have been if you try to switch back and forth. Under stress, you want everything to be as ingrained into your instincts as possible, you don't want different grip angles, sights, trigger pulls, etc. For me, I'd say see which one you like best and then stick with that platform and train hard with it.

I don't presume to know how much training you've had, but working with someone who's able to coach you with your grip and make sure you're controlling recoil as well as you can may help you feel less "flip" with the .40.

The 229 or M11 were considerations as well, but I'm still not sure if I am a fan of the DA to SA trigger pull. LOVE the look of my sig though!!

Nope I have never had professional instruction. Just read and watch as much as possible and then head to the range to practice.

theboilermaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    F.W.
    I wouldn't jump to a Glock without trying the HK VP9... its a little larger than the G19 I think but its definitely worth a look... The trigger is second to none and virtually no flip...love it... If you are in the Fort Wayne area I would let ya shoot mine...

I actually just past one up when at Blythe sports in Valpo two weeks ago traveling from Chicago. I just bought a G19 actually. I like the smaller size as it fits a role in my lineup that is empty. Sweet gun though, and I regret not buying the one he had. 3 mags and night sights used for like $599

Top Bottom