• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maceace

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    NWI
    I've read nothing but good reviews, I keep getting the urge to pick one up, at one point they were $299 shipped BNIB...I used to have a Walther 99 and sold it (I know I'm a dumb ass) and this seems to be a copy of it...

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Hi, you failed to be specific about which particular model you are interested in, but I just purchased a S-120, which is a clone of the CZ-75, so I will tell you about it. I am very impressed by this pistol, fit is excellent with absolutely no play at all between frame and slide. There are no machining marks anywhere, everything was nicely polished inside and out. The finish appears to be a cerakote type finish. It is nicely done, but I would prefer an old fashion blue. The trigger is outstanding, smooth pull and clean break.

Unfortunately, I don't own an actual CZ product to compare it too, but I can compare it to a SAR B6P which is another Turkish made CZ clone. The SAR has a slighlty better SA trigger pull, but a much worse DA trigger pull. The DA pull with the Canik is much longer, but also much smoother. I can dry-fire it in DA mode without the sights moving off target. I can't do that with the SAR. The factory grips on the Canik are lousy, much too wide and uncomfortable. However, you can get a set of Hogue grips for the CZ-75 very cheaply, they fit without any modifications, and are superb. I have included photos of it with the original factory girps and with the Hogue grips to give you an idea of the difference they make. I am also including photos comparing it to a GI 1911, and the SAR so you can see some of the differences. I have always loved the feel of a 1911 grip, but find that I prefer the Canik now that it has the Hogue grips installed. It is more rounded and wider, but just seems more natural in my hand. I have included photos of it in my hand compared to a GI 1911 and you can see that although the geometry is different it fills my hand pretty much exactly the same way except for where the trigger is positioned and I like it better on the Canik anyway. I have relatively small hands by the way. In the photos comparing pistols side by side, the Canik is always on the left, the 1911 in the middle, and the SAR on the right. I took the photos after I had lubed it, so if the finish doesn't look smooth in the photos it is due to the lube, not the machining.

I haven't had the Canik very long so it has only been to the range once and I was only able to fire 50 rounds through it due to time constraints. However, it fired all 50 rounds without malfunctions and they were reloads from Freedom Munitions. The 50 rounds were all within a 3" circle at 7 yards, which is pretty good for me. I am going to change the sights to a fiber optic front which I think will help my tired old eyes tremendously. I think the standard sights are a bit on the small side. I have at least 500 rounds through the SAR without any malfunctions, so I really don't expect anything different from the Canik. The Turks seem to make good guns.

Last edited:

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    Canik's are Great gun for the money. BTW Canik and Tristar are the same guns; Tristar's are a few bucks less. I have a CAnik 55 Shark C chrome.

Last edited:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I have the Canik55 Stingray-C which is the CZ P01 clone, but all-steel. It is a very well made gun at it's price. Mine is fully chromed, including barrel. It is quite accurate and the all steel construction soaks up recoil nicely. I've had no issues with it, having put a couple hundred rounds through it so far. The hard plastic grips were not fantastic, but I swapped in some CZ75 Compact rubber grips and it is quite nice now. I think I've either written a review or at least a mini-review on this site so you can probably search on Canik55 Stingray-C and get some hits. In short, well worth the market price, and could be found for under $300 until recently. Mine spends most of it's time in a BOB, but I had it out this last weekend and put a few magazines through it.

TacticAll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I just ordered a Canik 55 TP9 in Titanium due in large part to Nutnfancy's review on youtube. I'll give a review as soon as I get a chance to take it for a drive.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Got my Stingray not too long ago. Feels extremely high quality.

Canik is one of those hidden secrets that hasn't gotten out yet. Now's the time to invest in them before everyone gets wind of it.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Had one of their CZ clones (Stingray compact). The machining was sloppy in a couple of aesthetic areas but the gun performed flawlessly in the limited time that I had it.

It shot better and was more accurate than a compact gun has any business being. On the other side of the coin it was basically a brick, far heavier than it should've been. They obviously aren't wasting valuable CNC time removing anything but what is absolutely necessary.

Sold it to an INGO member that I won't name, he may still have it. In my limited opinion they seem to be a great value.

:twocents:

3.jpg

mikemcbride

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    They look like quality guns, I been going back and forth about picking one up. Now I definitely think I will.

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NE of Indy
    Thanks guys! Sorry, I've been unable to make time to get back to this post for a bit. Yeah, I too saw Nutnfancys review. My problem is buying into the hype. Heck, he had me wanting a Hipoint 9 and I had already shot one and said no thanks. LOL (no offense to those who love em...) So I love my Walther PPQ (mine was the original M1 before they had an M2...) and was always interested in a P99. So if this is a reliable, affordable version, I'd be tempted to give it a try... All black of course. :)

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Just got an S-120 on a whim and had it out to the range. VERY sweet! Still figuring out my POA, smooth function and substantial feel. Every bit as good as the CZ75B, IMO.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    The Canik TP9 looks like a great value for $299-$319. And, it comes in a nice looking case with a holster, mag loader, and extra mag.
    Mags are made by Mecgar.
    The holster is a Blackhawk Serpa looking knock off, which is a holster I would probably buy and they cost $40-50, so basically that makes the gun $260-ish... not bad!

Seems like a no-brainer if you are looking for a good gun for cheap.
    Good potential for "go bag" gun too

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NE of Indy
    I did see a TP9 yesterday at Gander Mountain. I think they had $429 on it. I waited a few minutes but they were busy selling guns (imagine that) and I had a hungry Wife waiting in the car so I had to leave before checking it out... Looks great and I'll definitely go back. Great opportunity to at least feel it in hand, check the action, finishing, etc... Its either this or talk a friend into ordering one and shooting theirs!

Top Bottom