• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave A

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Hancock Co.
    I’m thinking about building a greenhouse attached to the south facing wall of my garage. It is estimated to cost about $1000 for a 10’ x 20’ “temporary” design using sheet plastic. So what can I do with a greenhouse besides starting plants, mainly vegetables, early? Are there plants that will grow and produce for 9 or 10 months? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Dave

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    If you run lighting, and keep a schedule with it, there are plants that can pretty much produce indefinitely as long as they are maintained. I believe indeterminate tomatoes are the ones that will go forever.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I start construction at the end of the month for one permanently attached to the south side of the house on a slab. Went the plastic route for 2 years which was had positives, but was too fragile and impossible to heat when it was really cold.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    Check out some hoop houses on YouTube. I put up a 12x20 last year for very little money. I drove rebar in the ground and formed arches by connecting 2 lengths of plastic conduit, then covered it with heavy plastic film.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    To all that are doing this or have can you post pics and details. Im thinking of doing this within the next couple of years. I plan to build a chicken coop this year for next spring and would then like to build the green house. The hoop house thing I have seen on youtube but that is very temporary. Also did anyone use actual glass and if so what kind and how did that dent the pocket. Thanks in advance.

Also on youtube you should look up something called a solar can heater. Or solar beer can heater. It looks like it might work and if so it would be great to heat a green house or chicken coop.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I've made a mini hoop house on one of my 4'X20' raised beds with pvc hoops and clear plastic. I kept spinach alive all winter under that with no heat.

The only hard part is you have to watch it pretty close and pull the plastic open on sunny days so that it doesn't get too hot.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've made a mini hoop house on one of my 4'X20' raised beds with pvc hoops and clear plastic. I kept spinach alive all winter under that with no heat.

The only hard part is you have to watch it pretty close and pull the plastic open on sunny days so that it doesn't get too hot.

This works, and it's what we've done up to now. Wife wants something taller and more permanent.

dooshie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Indy
    I do this also. But dureing the summer I use bird netting and when late Sept. or mid Oct. comes around I lay the plastic over it and it helps me get a extra 3 to 5 months of planting a year

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I know it's not much help but there are videos on YT of a guy that built one out of scrap materials and he grows all kinds of stuff year round .

His trick is that is uses an in ground " rocket stove " with natural flat stone on top ( a cap of sorts ) , and a 55 gallon drum full of water on top of that .

He says the water releases the heat over night and keeps the space around 50 degrees even in the winter as long as he heats the drum once a day .

Top Bottom