IRS agent accidentally shot, killed by fellow agent during training at Phoenix gun range

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County

A special agent with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is dead after being accidentally shot by another IRS agent during a training exercise Thursday at a federal gun range in Phoenix, officials confirmed.

A spokesperson for the Federal Bureau of Prisons confirms that an incident occurred Thursday at their gun range, which multiple federal agencies were utilizing at the time through an interagency agreement. The spokesperson said no Federal Bureau of Prisons employees were injured in the incident.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Same reason as everyone else I presume. I feel the need to be armed sometimes so I'm not going to pass judgement on anyone else.

Mmmm. I'm going to have to disagree here. He didn't feel the need, his overlords did and for specific reasons required for his position. We have entirely too many non-elected agencies running around arming their employees so they can press their thumbs down on us harder and harder each day. I won't shed a tear for one less.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    First, prayers for all those involved.

This accident could have been prevented…why do IRS agents need to be armed?
    The special agents involved in Thursday’s shooting were part of the IRS’s Criminal Investigations unit with the Phoenix Field Office. Special agents with IRS-Criminal Investigations are the law enforcement branch of the IRS and are fully-sworn law enforcement officers who investigate violations of the Internal Revenue Code, including potential tax crimes, money laundering and some bank secrecy act violations. According to the IRS, the Criminal Investigations Division is made up of 3,000 employees worldwide, with 2,100 of those being special agents.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    The special agents involved in Thursday’s shooting were part of the IRS’s Criminal Investigations unit with the Phoenix Field Office. Special agents with IRS-Criminal Investigations are the law enforcement branch of the IRS and are fully-sworn law enforcement officers who investigate violations of the Internal Revenue Code, including potential tax crimes, money laundering and some bank secrecy act violations. According to the IRS, the Criminal Investigations Division is made up of 3,000 employees worldwide, with 2,100 of those being special agents.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Same reason as everyone else I presume. I feel the need to be armed sometimes so I'm not going to pass judgement on anyone else.
    Hopefully you just forgot purple.

You feel the need to be armed for self defense. The IRS feels the need to be armed to enforce tax collections and criminal enforcement (as defined by the IRS). Big difference there. Treasury agents don't need to be armed.

Reactions: Leo

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I sure hope these guys are going to find all that missing money the govt can't find.

Maybe they will whip them into shape and big daddy government will finally pass an audit.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Geez, it's like every bureaucracy has their own police force. NOAA, Soc. Sec.. Post Office, IRS....
    Ok, maybe not every, but far too many. It is sad a man died when nobody involved was attempting to do something bad or criminal. But maybe this man's death will help prevent the unnecessary death of a civilian who forgot to pay Uncle Sam.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    if not the IRS Special Agents, who would you like to investigate then arrest the alleged criminals who are allegedly defrauding the IRS?
    That's a fair question. Local/state coppers have no obligation to administer fed functions, as I understand it. So if IRS needs a badge/gun to assist in apprehending tax cheats, couldn't they use one of the existing fed police forces?
    Side question, not to you specifically, I wonder how many tax cheats are so dangerous they would require armed agents be used? Or I guess, what kind of people are these IRS agents actually pursuing? Surely not the run of the mill swindler who claims erroneous deductions.

Top Bottom