• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    So I would like to see if INGO has any advice for me, being as we have folks from all walks of life here. Comming up in the next week or so I have an interview for an internal promotion to supervisor.

It is a union manufacturing environment I have been working at for three years currently. I have past management experience from college working at Burger King (have to make money to take the GF out somehow lol).

On paper I have almost all of the "preferred qualifications", that being said I am pretty young (mid 20's). The question I could see being asked is basically,

"Why should we give you the job over person X who has more manufacturing supervision experience?"

Anyone ever been in a similar situation? I want to make absolutely certain I nail this interview as this would be a huge deal for the wife and myself more than likely allowing us to purchase a house this year.

If anyone wants more details feel free to PM me trying to keep it somewhat vague

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Having also come from a background in the restaurant business, both in and out of management, I would emphasize that the principles of management are the same regardless of the environment. I'm in IT now but have been complimented on my work ethic because it was learned in a fast paced, customer-oriented, and often high stress environment. Best of luck to you! :thumbsup:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Well I'd start out by letting them know that you gain your strength by sleeping in most days. You like to keep the team on their toes by showing up at all hours of the day so you aren't predictable. Lunch "time", pshaw what a dated concept! Just got in to work at the crack of noon? LUNCH!

Also let them know that you can be next to impossible to get in touch with because you're rarely on your phone. . . . except for the constant updates to farcebook, twitter and all of your other social media presences. After all, it's tough to get views unless you're spewing homophobic, racist or xenophobic posts during the work day.

Sexist? Hell no, bend over baby you'll drive! And as far as the LGBTQ thing goes let 'em know you're not really gay but $20 is $20. Amiright, amiright, amiright?? Of course there was that one time in Vegas but HEY, IT'S VEGAS.

Need any more ideas just let me know.

The above statement is meant as editorial humor or satire, should the OP or any other person attempt to follow this advice is to admit you understand the ramifications of said editorial and are willing to accept the consequences of your actions.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Fresh eyes for a better surprise.
    Your youthful exuberance is a quality that cannot be matched. You can say that while you might not have the experience that person X has, that you will be in management for the long haul. I wish my old man was alive to give you more tips but I'm just grasping at straws here since I'm an old millwright like your grandpa.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    I went from quality control to supervisor in a union environment. I suspect going from union to supervision might involve some resentment on the union side, be prepared. In the interview I would emphasize your strengths, your work ethic, and any other appropriate knowledge related to the manufacturing operation. I would also recommend studying the union contract, if you haven't already, so you wont be blindsided should an unusual situation present itself if you become supervisor. There were times I skirted the contract with the consent of the union members involved, other times I was required to follow the letter of the contract, knowing the contract was essential. Should you get the supervisor's position, be fair and consistent. How you say something is as important as what you say. Example: I once told a person I supervised that constantly neglected to wear his required safety equipment that " I would rather write him up than take him to the hospital!". He got he message without residual resentment. Good luck.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Being a supervisor doesn't only mean you have the experience and knowledge required to perform the job. You also have to have the ability to motivate, lead, and encourage your employees to either promote themselves or "branch out" within the company in ways that interest them, if that is possible at your company. So to show them you deserve the job over someone with more experience you have to prove you have the technical skills/knowledge and ability to lead vs. manage.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Supervisory positions often involve as much teaching as they do all the damned necessary supervisory / personnel management paperwork that so many organizations utilize.

Can you be an effective teacher / presenter of information?

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Before the interview.
    Sot down andake a list if your accomplishments of the last year.

Makes notes of times you have taken the lead onan projects and the positive outcome of your actions

Make notes of mentoring or training your teammates.

Have you saved the company money? If so, how much? And how? How do you plan to do it in the future?

Then make a list of goals of things you would like to accomplish I'd you for the promotion.

Keeps these goals based in reality and won't cost a ton.

Study these notes before the interview.

This way if they ask a question semi based on these things you have examples and answers already in try chamber. It can help prevent a lot of "umm" "uh" "erm" etc etc.

Have questions prepared. I've done a lot of interviews and I always feel jipped when the candidate has no good questions for us.

Some questions that may be handy.

What projects do you see coming down the pipe line that I would be watching over? What are some of the road blocks you could see going into it?

If money,time, and staff were not an issue what would you like to change or improve?

What qualities would a person need to be successful in this role?

Best of luck!

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Can you offer some examples from your past work that demonstrate you took the lead on some aspect of the work, or provided helpful direction to others even when you weren’t required to do so? Goes to your initiative and/or leadership character. (Of course, if what you did turned into a s###-storm, probably don’t want to mention that one)!

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Turn the tables. Why wouldn't you give me the Job. You guys are discriminating against me if I don't get the job.

JK don't do this.

But seriously I would look really hard at what their management turn over rate is. Everywhere I've ever worked supervisors catch the blame for everything and the turnover is constant. Then again most of them had little knowledge about the work we were actually doing.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    "Why should we give you the job over person X who has more manufacturing supervision experience?"
    All experience is not created equal. Don't automatically assume you're out of the running because someone else has more years than you. Sometimes personnel changes are made because higher-ups want something to change, and they want someone receptive to that rather than someone who feels they already know it all.

Herding teens at a BK sounds like relevant experience to me.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Well I'd start out by letting them know that you gain your strength by sleeping in most days. You like to keep the team on their toes by showing up at all hours of the day so you aren't predictable. Lunch "time", pshaw what a dated concept! Just got in to work at the crack of noon? LUNCH!

I'm pretty sure I already work for you, except at work you're pretty anti-2A. :nono:

Before the interview.
    Sot down andake a list if your accomplishments of the last year.

Makes notes of times you have taken the lead onan projects and the positive outcome of your actions

Make notes of mentoring or training your teammates.

Have you saved the company money? If so, how much? And how? How do you plan to do it in the future?

Then make a list of goals of things you would like to accomplish I'd you for the promotion.

Keeps these goals based in reality and won't cost a ton.

Study these notes before the interview.

This way if they ask a question semi based on these things you have examples and answers already in try chamber. It can help prevent a lot of "umm" "uh" "erm" etc etc.

Have questions prepared. I've done a lot of interviews and I always feel jipped when the candidate has no good questions for us.

Some questions that may be handy.

What projects do you see coming down the pipe line that I would be watching over? What are some of the road blocks you could see going into it?

If money,time, and staff were not an issue what would you like to change or improve?

What qualities would a person need to be successful in this role?

Best of luck!

+1. I'd add that there's nothing wrong with having some notes with you to refer back to if needed. I've usually been in the position of being an outside candidate so I have a copy of my resume (and bring many spares for others that may attend) and tie my answers back to my documented experience literally by bullet point. Since they already know you that might be an excessive approach, but the notes won't hurt regardless. I don't care if you worked for BK or NASA if you have good experience to draw from. Just tie all of your answers back to things you actually did and can cite specific examples from it.

Given that this is an internal interview, I imagine you already have some idea of how it will go since you got the job the first time, but one of the more challenging interview techniques that have been growing more popular is what are called behavioral questions. These are more about how you answer than what your actual answer is and will normally start with something like "Tell me about a time when...". If your employer is known to use that technique, it's a good idea to research the commonly asked questions. Some of them are extremely difficult if you're blindsided by them.

Again to FMJ's point; Personally, I always ask what the company's 5 year goals are for the position. Is it a position in which they're looking to grow senior staff to advance up the chain? Be a permanent fixture of the area and become a subject matter expert permanently? Whip things into shape quickly and then move on to the next fire? Etc, etc. Their answers will almost always open the door for more questions. At my current position the answer I received was that they were launching a product line and needed to staff up to support it. That got into questions about where it was being manufactured, by who, at what scale, the timing for the project, why they would expect to need to maintain staffing levels after the project, etc, etc. It was a great entry to engage back in the other direction.

Good luck!

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I'm pretty sure I already work for you, except at work you're pretty anti-2A. :nono:

+1. I'd add that there's nothing wrong with having some notes with you to refer back to if needed. I've usually been in the position of being an outside candidate so I have a copy of my resume (and bring many spares for others that may attend) and tie my answers back to my documented experience literally by bullet point. Since they already know you that might be an excessive approach, but the notes won't hurt regardless. I don't care if you worked for BK or NASA if you have good experience to draw from. Just tie all of your answers back to things you actually did and can cite specific examples from.

Given that this is an internal interview, I imagine you already have some idea of how it will go since you got the job the first time, but one of the more challenging interview techniques that have been growing more popular is what are called behavioral questions. These are more about how you answer than what your actual answer is and will normally start with something like "Tell me about a time when...". If your employer is known to use that technique, it's a good idea to research the commonly asked questions. Some of them are extremely difficult if you're blindsided by them.

Again to FMJ's point; Personally, I always ask what the company's 5 year goals are for the position. Is it a position in which they're looking to grow senior staff to advance up the chain? Be a permanent fixture of the area and become a subject matter expert permanently? Whip things into shape quickly and then move on to the next fire? Etc, etc. Their answers will almost always open the door for more questions. At my current position the answer I received was that they were launching a product line and needed to staff up to support it. That got into questions about where it was being manufactured, by who, at what scale, the timing for the project, why they would expect to need to maintain staffing levels after the project, etc, etc. It was a great entry to engage back in the other direction.

Good luck!

Now I know the chase for money is exciting. Trust me. I've doubled my salary in the last 5 years.

But it's important to remember that interviews go both ways. They are feeling you out for the role and you are feeling out the role.

When they wave a 5 10 15 % pay jump it's real easy to say **** it I'll do any job for $X
    But $X will quickly not be worth it if you hate the job.

Be sure to ask many questions get a good feel of what the job will be then weigh it out against the pay. 100k a year isn't worth it if you work 70-80 hour work weeks.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Now I know the chase for money is exciting. Trust me. I've doubled my salary in the last 5 years.

But it's important to remember that interviews go both ways. They are feeling you out for the role and you are feeling out the role.

When they wave a 5 10 15 % pay jump it's real easy to say **** it I'll do any job for $X
    But $X will quickly not be worth it if you hate the job.

Be sure to ask many questions get a good feel of what the job will be then weigh it out against the pay. 100k a year isn't worth it if you work 70-80 hour work weeks.

In the same vane, I was long ago told that if you don't get it going in, you're likely to never get it. So if you need X money or Y vacation time, get it up front because you're going to have to change jobs again to get there if you don't. I'd have a much easier time talking a new employer into a 10% raise than I would my current employer.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    In the same vane, I was long ago told that if you don't get it going in, you're likely to never get it. So if you need X money or Y vacation time, get it up front because you're going to have to change jobs again to get there if you don't. I'd have a much easier time talking a new employer into a 10% raise than I would my current employer.
    Very much this. This is one reason we have high turn over in IT. If a person makes 60k but feels they are worth 75k their best chance is to change jobs and start negotiating at 75k or 80k

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    You're in your 20s and being considered for a promotion to manager.

I'd make sure that you let them know you are really committed to being with them long term and want to climb up the ladder to bigger and better things to help grow the company, become more efficient, yada yada yada.

They don't want to lose you because you obviously have value and skills. You don't want to be put into a position where you are with the company for years and feel stunted. Your goals and theirs align if they believe in you as much as you do.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Very much this. This is one reason we have high turn over in IT. If a person makes 60k but feels they are worth 75k their best chance is to change jobs and start negotiating at 75k or 80k

My present employer has the extremely foolish position of refusing to negotiate counter offers as if their staff are terrorists. We've lost some of the most talented people I've ever worked with, one or two that might have even been among the best in the world, over like $10k/yr in salary. Stupid is as stupid does...

Anyhow... :)

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Not sure your union ? But coming from UAW you will be better off in the long run staying union ! The management retirement is going to be crap if any and possibly 401k ? with Indiana being a right to work state they can fire you without cause !? But as union you will have a pension when you retire ! Food for thought .

Top Bottom