Intersting problem with 45 ACP reloads...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    I think I'd hold off on sharing reloads with others? With this issue or no apparent issues there is still a liability concern, right?

I don't share or sell my loads to just anybody... Only a buddy that I would trust with my life. He also trusts me... And if you see the guns I shoot my reloads with, you would probably trust shooting them too...

Mark

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    And I think we can safely say that the most likely culprit is bounce back from hitting frozen wood. Case closed...for now. :)

Mark

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    My buddy brought by 3 of the bullets...2 of them had clear indications that they hit something and are deformed. The third one looked almost new...

So, case closed...100% sure it is bounce back.

Another reminder to wear your safety glasses...

Mark

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Good story and reminder about safety. 200 gr LSWC over 4.8 of bullseye. I have koaded and shot many of them.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Just be thankful that you did not have to dig them out of your leg. Shooting at wood can be hazardous - I once saw a bullet go into a wood fence post and travel 180 degrees around a big knot and return back to the shooter. Elmer Keith describes seeing the same thing in one of his books. You need to find something that will stop and trap the bullet - not just reflect it back. A woodpile ain't it - too many unknowns in there. I also stood next to a guy once shooting medium level .44 Spl. loads at a swinging steel plate. The bullet came straight back and hit him right between the eyes. A case of perfect timing. Fortunately the bullet had lost enough energy that he survived but it taught me to be very careful about shooting steel or anything that can rebound a bullet back. You must know where that bullet is going to go if it bounces off a target. I angle my steel plates so the ricochets will always go down into the ground or off to the side. People have been killed shooting steel when they didn't think about what can happen.

Last edited:

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Just be thankful that you did not have to dig them out of your leg. Shooting at wood can be hazardous - I once saw a bullet go into a wood fence post and travel 180 degrees around a big knot and return back to the shooter. Elmer Keith describes seeing the same thing in one of his books. You need to find something that will stop and trap the bullet - not just reflect it back. A woodpile ain't it - too many unknowns in there. I also stood next to a guy once shooting medium level .44 Spl. loads at a swinging steel plate. The bullet came straight back and hit him right between the eyes. A case of perfect timing. Fortunately the bullet had lost enough energy that he survived but it taught me to be very careful about shooting steel or anything that can rebound a bullet back. You must know where that bullet is going to go if it bounces off a target. I angle my steel plates so the ricochets will always go down into the ground or off to the side. People have been killed shooting steel when they didn't think about what can happen.

Can't disagree with you on any of this. I shoot steel for the most part myself.

Mark

Top Bottom