• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Let me clarify that- I meant to ask if they only sell one type of knife at a time, I'm pretty sure they'd only release one at a time anyway unless they debut a new line or something. I noticed there is a pretty good little selection under the knives tab on scrapyard's site, but then in the ordering tab all that you can order is the scrapper 5 LE.

yeah one knife model run at a time. although the secondary market has a great selection if you know where to look.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    * Also- Anyone with a Busse knife please answer, is the "INFI" as durable as it's been hyped up to be? I'll admit I am a little skeptical, but not in disbelief of their claims by any means. I'd just like a little affirmation from some people who own and use them. Thanks.

Yes and then some:rockwoot:
    Bob
    BTW if you'd like to see some this weekend let me know. I live in the NE corner of Marion county

RTDoug

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    * Also- Anyone with a Busse knife please answer, is the "INFI" as durable as it's been hyped up to be? I'll admit I am a little skeptical, but not in disbelief of their claims by any means. I'd just like a little affirmation from some people who own and use them. Thanks.

While I dont own one, I did witness my nephew batoning thru some red oak last weekend with his new Nuclear meltdown something or other Busse.

That edge gave up very little in sharpness with some chopping thrown in for good measure.

The finish marred abit, but no biggie to me. It is going to show a little if you use it.

All in all, I was impressed.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Busse/Swamp Rat/Scrap Yard... think Lincoln/Mercury/Ford.

Jerry Busse (Gerald Paul Busse) was first making knives marked as GP Busse. Those early knives, when found, easily sell for $1,000-$2,000. The operation expanded beyond Jerry as the sole employee and became Busse Combat of Wauseon, OH. One of the occasional grinders was his brother, Dan Busse.

The early knives of Busse Combat were A2 steel and this period included the knives known as "SH" or "Straight Handle." The steel became INFI (the magic isn't the steel - it's the heat treat) during the SH period. A Steel Heart and Battle Mistress from this period would be known as a SHSH and a SHBM.

The next transition was to the Ergo Handle period. A Steel Heart and Battle Mistress from this period would be known as a SH-E and a BM-E.

The Fusion Handle (a "fusion" between the straight handle design and the Ergo) period comes next. A Steel Heart and Battle Mistress from this period would be known as a FSH and a FBM.

There was a line of Busse knives known as "Basics" which included a modified form of INFI (INFI-M) and used Resiprene-C handles. Shortly after 9/11 Jerry made a large quantity of knives that were given away to troops heading to Afganistan: They used resiprene-c grips and SR101 (more or less 52100 with the legendary Busse heat treat.) It was called the Taliwhacker. This was the only Busse made with SR101.

Swamp Rat is born using SR101 steel and res-c grips. Common blades were the Battle Rat, Camp Tramp, and Howling Rat. Later a series of micarta grip Rats came along such as the Ratweiler, and Swamp Rat became a bit more upscale. Some of the small Rats came with D2 steel that performed remarkably well with the Busse heat treat. Blade show 2006 (or was iit 2007?) the first Rat (a hawk, actually) was marketed with SR-77 steel. (Basically, S7 steel with Busse heat treat.)

Shortly afterward, along comes Scrap Yard, usually primarily SR77 steel. Scrap yard uses mostly res-c, which has now left the stable of Swamp Rat with G10 and micarta handles. There have been limited edition Scrap Yard blades with INFI but SR77 is the norm.

Busse: Jerry Busse IS Busse Combat. Garth Renker (great guy and good friend) is the Ops Manager and does much of the Custom Shop work. Amy-0 is a big part of the public face of Busse on the forums. Much like the energizer bunny, to know her is to love her. ThatMGuy, Mike, is one of the Busse Mods and receives a couple of boxes of assorted knives to sell at the 1500 and a couple of Ohio shows as a direct Busse rep. Idahoskunk runs the Busse Company Store that receives a set amount of Busse blades and special releases. There are NO dealers. If you find a Busse in a knife store, they've paid the same thing you would, direct from Busse (online, Blade Show, Blade Show West, 1500, Knob Creek, OH show, or Company Store) and are passing an additional cost on to you.

Swamp Rat: On paper, Swamp Rat is Jennifer Busse - Jerry's lovely wife. Eric Isaacson (Louisville, KY) is the face of Swamp Rat and does all of the online sales. Swamp Rats can also be picked up at one of the shows mentioned above. I'm a Swamp Rat mod on Bladeforums.

Scrap Yard: The face of Scrap Yard is Dan and Patricia Busse. Dan is Jerry's brother. All sales online/direct and/or one of the shows.

A variety of models are usually found at shows but only one model is typically available for order at one of the three online venues. Busse does preorders. Swamp Rat occasionally does pre-orders or direct from Swamp Rat (ratknives) website. Swamp Rat and Scrap Yard often only have a set number for sell and they can sell-out in hours.

Online Extravaganzas are another way to pick up one-off, mil-surplus or Custom Shop knives from all three.

What is an Extravaganza? That the title of link in my sigline on BFC.

Progunner said:
    Jerry has odd lots of stuff left over from military orders and the like and from time to time he gives us a crack at them free for all style. He teases the hell out of us with pics and stuff for a day or two, tells us an approximate time when he is going to post the "Go!" button and shortly before posting that "Go!" button he gives us the prices and ordering instructions. You prep your email with your choices and when you see the "Go!" button you mail that sucker and hope you score something. It is a first in first served free for all and it gets nuts sometimes.

These "Go" posts are usually posted on Bladeforums.com as well as the Busse Combat home site forum.
    http://www.bussecombat.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

An example of Mr. Busse instruction set from a past Extravaganza:
    BladeForums.com

An example where Jerry revealed the price IN the "Go!" posting:
    BladeForums.com

Good luck and have fun! NO REGRETS!!

Last edited:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Some pics from Blade West... it's going on in Portland RIGHT NOW but will end in the next couple of hours.

IMG_1146.jpg

IMG_1147.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

IMG_1150-1.jpg

IMG_1151-1.jpg

IMG_1152-1.jpg

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    IMG_1153-1.jpg

3915835795_4e5f6a70ab_b.jpg

This is what a special release at the Company Store looks like:

Yup, you guessed it, Jerry decided to have a Screwdriver instead of his favorite scotch and went to the grinding room.

Here's a VERY LIMITED SAR-8 SE (special edition) Full Convex, Orange/Black G-10, EIGHT + INCHES (like you hogs always wanted and bragged about) of RAZOR SHARP, SLICK INFI !

Scheduled to debut at the Busse Company Store Monday Sept. 14th, Approx. 9:30 PM Eastern Time!

Try not to miss this one as it is expected to sell out faster than a SIX PAC of COORS IN AMY-0's OFFICE!

HERE IT IS ! and more pics to follow after i recharge my camera.

DON'T MISS THIS AWESOME PUMPKIN CARVER :thumbup:

sar-8a-orng1280.jpg

sar-8b-orng1280.jpg

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

So you're telling me you guys pay $500+ for one of these and then beat the hell out of them in the dirt/mud/woods?!?!

How do you do it?

Alex (danielocean) and I are getting together for Beer and Blades Wednesday evening at 1930. You should come!

Crap I'm working that evening. If I wasn't I'd be sure to stalk you guys. :D (and yes, I realize that invitation was to Bob, not me, lol)

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    So you're telling me you guys pay $500+ for one of these and then beat the hell out of them in the dirt/mud/woods?!?!

How do you do it?

The first swing is ALWAYS the hardest - after that it is pure muscle memory. :)

Crap I'm working that evening. If I wasn't I'd be sure to stalk you guys. :D (and yes, I realize that invitation was to Bob, not me, lol)

For you, the invitation is always open, bro!

Top Bottom