• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Dr Seuss hasn’t been banned. The company that published his books decided to no longer publish some of his more controversial works. Works most people probably have never ever read. This was an act of virtue signaling, not banning. You can still get all your favorite Seuss books.
    If that’s all that was happening, Kut, I’d agree with you. Unfortunately, eBay made clear that they were (my word) “sanitizing” their site so that the books in question cannot be sold there either. Like it or not, when the copyright owner will not publish a book and one of if not THE primary source of purchasing that book used will not allow it to be sold, the end result is censorship, which is tantamount to a ban. I have not looked to see if the banned books are still available for purchase at a reasonable price on Amazon or not.

Also, while I can’t speak for others, I know I had at least one of those books, maybe two, when I was growing up and learning to read. YMMV.

Of note, I did hear it suggested somewhere to those who have copies of the Forbidden Tomes, they should scan and PDF them and make them available without charge on the net.
    My evaluation of this idea is that the copyright holder has declined to continue selling them, so their future profits are essentially zero, and the person copying them has done so without remuneration. I don’t know if that would be a shield against prosecution or not.

Blessings,
    Bill

ETA: I even heard that if you had bought the books on kindle, they were removed from your account...so this is pretty significant, IMHO.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Dr Seuss hasn’t been banned. The company that published his books decided to no longer publish some of his more controversial works. Works most people probably have never ever read. This was an act of virtue signaling, not banning. You can still get all your favorite Seuss books.
    I don’t know if it was intentional, but they’ve certainly increased sales dramatically. People are buying up Dr Seuss books like they’re a scarce commodity.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If that’s all that was happening, Kut, I’d agree with you. Unfortunately, eBay made clear that they were (my word) “sanitizing” their site so that the books in question cannot be sold there either. Like it or not, when the copyright owner will not publish a book and one of if not THE primary source of purchasing that book used will not allow it to be sold, the end result is censorship, which is tantamount to a ban. I have not looked to see if the banned books are still available for purchase at a reasonable price on Amazon or not.

Also, while I can’t speak for others, I know I had at least one of those books, maybe two, when I was growing up and learning to read. YMMV.

Of note, I did hear it suggested somewhere to those who have copies of the Forbidden Tomes, they should scan and PDF them and make them available without charge on the net.
    My evaluation of this idea is that the copyright holder has declined to continue selling them, so their future profits are essentially zero, and the person copying them has done so without remuneration. I don’t know if that would be a shield against prosecution or not.

Blessings,
    Bill

ETA: I even heard that if you had bought the books on kindle, they were removed from your account...so this is pretty significant, IMHO.
    I have also heard that Amazon has done this but I can’t find independent verification that they have. I haven’t spent much time looking though, so it may be. But if it is, it’s probably just the six books affected. You can still buy many dr suess books on Amazon Kindle right now.

And if Amazon did remove the books from people’s accounts it is more likely that it’s that the publisher revoked the agreement with Amazon to sell digitally. This has happened before like that.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don’t know if it was intentional, but they’ve certainly increased sales dramatically. People are buying up Dr Seuss books like they’re a scarce commodity.
    “Never let a crisis go to waste,” apparently isn’t just for government. People are buying ALL titles. There just may be some smart marketing agent who suggested pulling the trigger on this.

maxipum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Bloomington
    “Never let a crisis go to waste,” apparently isn’t just for government. People are buying ALL titles. There just may be some smart marketing agent who suggested pulling the trigger on this.
    No not likely, just some modern day nazi wannabees inadvertently increasing book sales because they have for all intents and purposes banned some children’s books they don’t like. WTF

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    I have also heard that Amazon has done this but I can’t find independent verification that they have. I haven’t spent much time looking though, so it may be. But if it is, it’s probably just the six books affected. You can still buy many dr suess books on Amazon Kindle right now.

And if Amazon did remove the books from people’s accounts it is more likely that it’s that the publisher revoked the agreement with Amazon to sell digitally. This has happened before like that.
    Yes, Amazon has pulled their sales of the 6 books, but it looks like third party sellers are still able to list them (at enormously inflated prices)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No not likely, just some modern day nazi wannabees inadvertently increasing book sales because they have for all intents and purposes banned some children’s books they don’t like. WTF
    I suggest you not look into Disney today.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yeah, I am aware. No Disney anything in our house. I made that call a couple of years ago. Disheartening
    There's going to be a HUGE backlash eventually. There are plenty of people, who are liberal, who don't like how extreme some of this stuff has gotten. Honestly, I think disclaimers should suffice for things that would be questionable today.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Virtue signaling (or CYA) by the Seuss foundation that groveled and apologized, and said they'd discontinue some of his books. I hear that some schools HAVE banned his books. Amazon refusing to sell his books could be virtue signaling but the effect is about the same

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well, it's what happens when media makes claims that go beyond the facts. In this case, conservative media has been framing this as Dr Seuss being canceled. The fact is that you can still buy the popular Dr Seuss books even on Amazon Kindle right now. The books that the publisher discontinued aren't the most popular ones that we've all read or heard of. It's not even clear that those books were canceled due to wokeness. I've never heard of the titles they discontinued (not banned). I'd have to read them for myself to decide if they're actually racist or not.

But people keep hearing from conservative media that all of Dr Seuss is banned. So they go out and buy them all up.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    How about the ones that went inside in what appeared to be a tour? They remained within the velvet ropes and had guards that appeared to be conducting an organized tour of the facility. From the videos I saw, depending on your location, the conditions were vastly different.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Virtue signaling (or CYA) by the Seuss foundation that groveled and apologized, and said they'd discontinue some of his books. I hear that some schools HAVE banned his books. Amazon refusing to sell his books could be virtue signaling but the effect is about the same
    Amazon refusing to sell the books is probably more because the publisher discontinued them. I'm not sure they have a right to sell them at that point. Certainly not in digital form.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Amazon refusing to sell the books is probably more because the publisher discontinued them. I'm not sure they have a right to sell them at that point. Certainly not in digital form.
    Would that apply to existing stock?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I would think so. But it's not like Amazon has "shelves". They might have copies in bins in a warehouse, or they might be direct ship from publishers.
    And I'm guessing entrepreneurial types snatched them all up at the first hint of controversy.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    How about the ones that went inside in what appeared to be a tour? They remained within the velvet ropes and had guards that appeared to be conducting an organized tour of the facility. From the videos I saw, depending on your location, the conditions were vastly different.
    I wonder about that too. I think at most they could reasonably be charged with trespassing. But they didn't look to me to be particularly dangerous to anyone, or trying to take part in any insurrection.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Apparently the FBI is arresting those that entered into the Capitol Building for what they did INSIDE the building and out.

“'If you turn me in, you’re a traitor and you know what happens to traitors … traitors get shot,' Reffitt, 48, said to his son and daughter, according to his wife"

This is not protesting. It is naked criminal behavior done with the pretext of some "higher purpose".

So, to recap what these fools did, federal crimes which those now in power will use to attack all of us. Thanks, morons.

I'm not disagreeing with you.

Also, please do not assume that I am one who supports the insurrection or the attack on our Capitol building, where lawful proceedings were disrupted. Far from it. The people who violated the law are criminals, regardless of their motivation.
    I have a prediction for both of you. It won't be confined to the people who actually breached the capitol. In states with red flag laws, merely having attended a protest at the capitol on 6 Jan will be used as de facto evidence that that person should have his guns confiscated because of the obvious danger (s)he represents to the new world public order - and it will not be that long before I am proved right. Much like there used to be more demand for racism than the actual supply, in the new reality the demand for show trials of dangerous right wing insurrectionists will likely greatly exceed the supply of same

Top Bottom