• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I was talked into doing our barn in spray foam and have been sold on it ever since. I thought the price was too much for me but when the area becomes air tight and heat/cooling loss is at its lowest, the savings on the other end of it is worth it.
    So then I bought a diy kit, which i thought would be a disaster because I heard all of the “you have to know what your doing stories”, and sprayed a room I gutted and rebuilt. It was really too easy. So if you have thoughts on spray foam, these kits make the process simple. They come ready to shoot, you just need to get the chemicals in the tanks to the proper temps before spraying.
    There is nothing better than closed cell spray foam. I just did a room addition for a customer and got it all foamed, they finished it yesterday. I was there working today and fired up small propane can heater, took like 10 minutes for it to be so hot I had to shut heater off because I was sweating. It isn't cheap, but neither is a Yeti!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm going to have to press the shed into use before I get a chance to insulate it. Depending on how badly I freeze my giggleberries off out there this week I may hold off until spring and try to spray foam. I don't think I could get everything up to proper temp to do it before the weather breaks.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    There is nothing better than closed cell spray foam. I just did a room addition for a customer and got it all foamed, they finished it yesterday. I was there working today and fired up small propane can heater, took like 10 minutes for it to be so hot I had to shut heater off because I was sweating. It isn't cheap, but neither is a Yeti!
    Yes sir. We have a 1600sq’ barn with 12’ walls and I can go out right now at 10 degrees and be comfortable with a heavy sweatshirt and no heat. I usually run a mini propane heater for 30-40 min with ceiling fans on and it holds for the rest of the day. On top of that is the sound deadening the foam provides. 2-3” were applied to the barn walls and I did the same in our new room. We have cable ceiling heat in the house and the room with the foam, the thermostat doesnt call for heat like the rest of our drafty house.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The giggleberries weren't waiting around for spring. I was out there yesterday for a few hours and there ain't no way I could continue all week. Got up this morning, made a run to Home Depot and picked up some 1.5" foil faced and got it all installed this afternoon. It's not pretty by any means and I'm going to pick up some foil tape tomorrow to finish it up but it's definitely viable now with the propane heater. There's another 6' of shed on the other side of the far wall in the first pic but it's full of horse tack which isn't being used currently so I walled it off to reduce the cubic footage I'm trying to heat.
    HxbNc5fh.jpg

Fb4NIbJh.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Ok, another quesition. This shed is sitting on a 3" thick pad of gravel that I scraped out a shallow depression for in the yard a few years ago. I was out there all day with the propane heater going and from my chest up it was comfortable but there was snow I tracked in on the floor that never melted all day. My feet were frozen all day, I need to get a decent chair for out there I think I'll ad a foot stool as well.

This shed just sits on 4x4 runners so it's open on both ends. I've tried to think of a decent method of closing the ends up to hopefully hold some heat a little better but I'm not coming up with any good ideas. The shed is 20' from an ag field so rodents are an issue but one I expect to deal with regardless. The budget for this project has been reached so I need something that won't break the bank.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Ok, another quesition. This shed is sitting on a 3" thick pad of gravel that I scraped out a shallow depression for in the yard a few years ago. I was out there all day with the propane heater going and from my chest up it was comfortable but there was snow I tracked in on the floor that never melted all day. My feet were frozen all day, I need to get a decent chair for out there I think I'll ad a foot stool as well.

This shed just sits on 4x4 runners so it's open on both ends. I've tried to think of a decent method of closing the ends up to hopefully hold some heat a little better but I'm not coming up with any good ideas. The shed is 20' from an ag field so rodents are an issue but one I expect to deal with regardless. The budget for this project has been reached so I need something that won't break the bank.
    Maybe some hay bales around the ends or some kind of skirting like mobile homes?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

You want it now? Or modify it in the summer?

Now? put down insulation on top of the floor. The type that's bubble wrap like, with an aluminum coating.
    Then a thin plywood over the top to protect it.
    Next, a small fan (or a couple) in the ceiling to blow the hot air down lower.

Later? Mostly the same. Except insulation UNDER the floor.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And yes, you need to close the ends of the runners to keep wind from getting under.
    As mentioned by LtScott, maybe hay bales and skirting?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    There's already a floating vinyl plank floor down in there so adding insulation to the floor probably isn't going to happen. I was just trying to some up with a decent solution to close off the gap underneath the shed.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.

Point a small fan at the ceiling. It will blow the heat back down. Sounds counterintuitive but it works.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Wood stove, pellet, natural gas, propane, diesel, kerosene. All less expensive than resistive heating...unless there is a super special rate or solar involved.

If it's a small space, the wood stove or pellet may take up too much space. I currently heat my garage with a vent-free natural gas heater, but again, space. I am in the planning stages of outbuilding and I will be using pellet.

However, these little diesel heaters seem pretty interesting.

Honestly, if the heat source is relatively inexpensive and kicks out heat, there is no real need to go over the top with insulation. Especially if it a few hours a day and a few days a week.

My son has one of these in his uninsulated 1 car garage. will bring temps up to upper 50s in a short while. He is using about a gallon of diesel per week.
    --Rick

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Point a small fan at the ceiling. It will blow the heat back down. Sounds counterintuitive but it works.
    Great minds think alike. I've got a fan blowing just above the heater and a taped a piece of 14" MDF to the ceiling at an angle to push the air back down. It's helping but I'm still freezing from the knees down lol.

I did buy one of the nifty little heat powered fans that sits above the Propane Mr Heater. Can't say it pushes a lot of air but in a 10' cube it doesn't take much to get the air circulating.
    FKPXauIh.jpg

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    On the ends of my shed I just used 5/4" deck boards and scribed them to the ground. Then was able to use some stone to seal up where it was not real tight to the ground, plus that gravel keeps me from having to mow too close to the shed.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    So after seeing a new post in the " Show me your guitars " thread ........
    There has to be a connecting story ? ........something similar to , If you are going to play that guitar , you will have to do it in your shed . ;)

Top Bottom