• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Looks like we are seriously looking at one of these. Which one do you have and why? There are at least 7 different choices -- the only thing I know I could not possibly care less about is the bluetooth connection option.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    We have one, use it all the time.

BBQ ribs in an Instant Pot, 2 racks for 33 minutes with a dry rub. Then under the broiler to caramelize some BBQ sauce. Better than any other method we've tried so far.

Also cooked beef ribs, orange beef, lemon/garlic chicken, lasagna and the list goes on and on.

FWIW, we have a 6 quart Instant Pot, the model we have is the Duo.

I'd recommend that particular brand because each brand is somewhat different in the temperature and pressure at which they cook but most of the popular cookbooks are written for the Instant Pot brand so you don't have to adjust the times up/down or fiddle with the recipes, which you'd have to do with a different brand of cooker. From some comparison tests I've seen, the Instant Pot brand also is the best for "slow cooking" so it makes a good slow cooker/crock pot in addition to being a pressure cooker.

FWIW, these do NOT cook at the same temperature or pressure as a stove top pressure cooker so you don't really want to use the recipes designed for those cookers with your Instant Pot or similar cooker. All of these style of cookers cook at both lower pressure and temperature so you'd have to adjust up the cooking times. The lower pressure and temperatures also make them unsuitable for 'pressure canning' but they can be used as water bath canners.

Last edited:

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    We got the one sold at Sams Club. It’s phenomonal! We cook stews, soups, roasts, chicken, and about everything else we can think of in it. If you like hard boiled eggs, it will cook them perfect every time and peel super easy.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My wife got the one from Costco. She seems to really like it and has cooked ribs, some soups, and some other dishes. Pretty good.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I bought one for us for Christmas. It's the 8 quart. We use it quite a bit. It's awesome.

I have found if you want to cut down on prep time, use a skillet on the stovetop to brown meat first when the recipe calls for it to be browned in the instant pot. Things seem to go much quicker.

We've done lots of soups/stews so far. Man is it good. I've done one pot roast. I'll need to tweak the recipe as the meat wasn't quite as tender as from a 6-8 hr crock pot.

My wife wants to try to make a cake in ours too.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I got 6qt one on impulse for $60 on Prime Day... my steamer is old, my crock pot is old, I've always been intrigued by pressure cookers... why not?

But now I am just learning what to do with it, so let's bring this back... and let's see some actual recipes, people.

Top Bottom