• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I am considering purchasing a camping hammock (bug net and rain fly required) for kayak camping. I do not want to dump a ton of cash on a Clark or Hennessy just yet. I need to see how all of this is going to work out in my yak first.

My wife and I canoed the Big South Fork of the Cumberland from TN back into KY about 24 years ago (pre-kids). Now that kids are grown, and it's basically just us again we really want to do it once more but in our yaks this time. Back then we only took a ground cloth and a tarp for a 3 day trip. We were a lot younger then and just can't sleep on the ground like that anymore without pads. I don't want to mess with trying to take pads and other comforts in a yak where space is limited more so than in the canoe.

Any input on a decent starter hammock that you have actually used would be greatly appreciated.

Dirty Steve

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I love to hammock camp. I do it exclusively now and my wife and daughters (13 and 8) are all set up with hammocks too.

If you're looking to get going on a budget, depending on the budget of course, it can add up quickly.

I really like the ENO hammocks. A doublenest is gonna run around $70 new. I also have a kelty Noah 12 tarp that I use if my wife or daughters are coming along (rare) so we can bunk style and have plenty of top cover. I think you can pick those up for around $60 but they're a bit heavy. If it's just me, I have a tadpole from wilderness logics. It's awesome. Silnylon and unbelievable light and pack able. They start at $99 on their website. Eno guardian bug nets are nice. They're $60. You're also gonna need either a pad or an under quilt if night time temps will be below seventy or you're gonna get cold butt syndrome. You can get a pad from REI pretty cheap. Just make sure you get at least an inch of loft when compressed. If you or your wife can sew, a DIY poncho liner underquilt works great. That's what I use.

Don't forget your stakes and guy lines for your tarp as well as a ridge line . 550 paracord works fine for this unless it's gonna be super windy. You'll also need a suspension system. You can get webbing from eno. It's called Atlas Straps and they work great. Do not buy their previous version called slap straps they're junk. You can pick them up for $30. Or, you can pick up some static rope from rei but it's not grea for the tree. If you go this route, just loop around the tree a couple times but make sure it's static line or it's gonna stretch and your butt will end up on the ground.

I know it sounds like a lot of stuff, cuz it is, but it does pack down very easily. I can get all my gear in a 28l daypack with room to spare if it's just me. You have so many options with hammocking compared to tent camping.

Good luck. I'm not an expert but have been doing it a couple years now so if you got questions, I'll do my best to help answer em.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    2nd the ENO Doublenest. I'm a tubby **** (nearly 400 at my heaviest) and I sleep like a baby in my Doublenest. I kinda did it on the cheap watching Amazon sales. Got the hammock for $50 and the bug net for $40. I bought a cheap set of 1200lb cargo straps for $10 and cut the hardware off to use for the suspension. I use a $7 tarp and some paracord as a rain fly and a $10 Army woobie blanket as an underquilt to camp comfortable down to 35ish°

All that plus a 20° bag and mess kit with butane stove fits in the ILBE assault pack. Everything I need to camp is always in my trunk.

Last edited:

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Another route for your hammock suspension is whoopie slings. A set can be had for about $15. They're adjustable and lightweight. Just google it and you'll get a good idea what it is and how it works.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Since the OP is looking for an entry level setup, look at the blue nylon hammocks at Wallyworld- about $30, well built, includes suspension rope setup. I've had my 240# carcass in mine on several trips now, holding up great! Even read some grudgingly positive youtube reviews by some admitted gear snobs. Gotta add a rain fly and net though.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Thanks gentlemen. I appreciate the comments. I noticed that REI carries the ENO hammocks and we do frequent REI. We already have several static lines for rock climbing but I had not thought of them for a suspension system. Paracord is always along on every trip we take since it seems to come in handy for something or another. Any knowledge of the Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro? That is one model that we had considered as it seems to get good reviews.

Dirty Steve

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I've no eno hammocks, but if you want to try before you buy I have a couple of Hennessey models and a Warbonnet that aren't likely to see use before mid summer.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Thanks gentlemen. I appreciate the comments. I noticed that REI carries the ENO hammocks and we do frequent REI. We already have several static lines for rock climbing but I had not thought of them for a suspension system. Paracord is always along on every trip we take since it seems to come in handy for something or another. Any knowledge of the Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro? That is one model that we had considered as it seems to get good reviews.

Dirty Steve

Grand Trunks are nice hammocks. I find them easier to hop in and out of but I prefer a flatter lay so I like the ENO better but that's just me. A buddy started with eno and switched to grand trunk. I haven't had any personal experience with the skeeter beeter but it satisfies many of the requirements you're gonna need to get going. IIRC, the bug net isn't removable so you always have to have it set up with a ridge line which shouldn't be an issue for your trip but may be for day hikes if you choose to use it again later.

I buy most of my outdoor gear at REI too. Love that place!

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Since the OP is looking for an entry level setup, look at the blue nylon hammocks at Wallyworld- about $30, well built, includes suspension rope setup. I've had my 240# carcass in mine on several trips now, holding up great! Even read some grudgingly positive youtube reviews by some admitted gear snobs. Gotta add a rain fly and net though.

Ive got a wally world blue hammock, and it works just fine for me. I use some cheap ratchet straps to hang it from the trees, and have a under quilt setup I made out of a sleeping bag for winter champing.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    watch woot.com. they throw the Yukon series hammoks on sale ($20) they are nice. I like their doubles better than their netted ones. they are longer. You can usually get thier bug nets too. Hammock forums .com is a good resource for details.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I have an Eno Doublenest that has served me well with a poncho liner underquilt. I did see just tonight that Target had Thermarest hammock kits, with suspension straps, at the Indy/Southport store for $50.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I'm just curious for those who have purchased the Wally World special, how many nights a year are you getting from them? I picked up a Byer hammock for my daughter initially and it just didn't last after a few hiking trips, not even over nighters. Started fraying along the edges. I use it now as a gear hammock.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I'm just curious for those who have purchased the Wally World special, how many nights a year are you getting from them? I picked up a Byer hammock for my daughter initially and it just didn't last after a few hiking trips, not even over nighters. Started fraying along the edges. I use it now as a gear hammock.

Ive slept in mine about 20 nights or so. No fraying or damage at all to mine.

Top Bottom