• ...and so much more!
  • dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Uncle Hassienawked? Uncle Expat? I’m your long lost nephew

I’m lucky I guess, I’ve talked with my son about what guns have been in the family for generations and he knows what is expected of them. Over the years he has told me which guns I’m not allowed to sell, because of his memories and fondness of them. I’ve already started gifting him some of them.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    While I really do understand the romance of having something from grandpa or your father, I have had to change my views. Material things are only valuable as long as the memories are alive. I was fond of my maternal grandfather, who pretty much died penniless. I still have his memories, they have value. If he gave me something significant, the memories would still be the valuable part.

I have been involved in enough grief counselling and got involved in enough estate distribution to know that it is not often that great things happen in the span of even one generation. By two or three generations, the value of inherited goods is almost non existent. Huge boxes of pictures and family heirlooms get dropped off at charity centers on a regular basis. If I have something that would be appreciated by someone else, I give it to them, even though they are not relatives.

Do the best you can and walk without any guilt and shame. The weight of "coulda, woulda, shoulda" is just not something a man needs to carry.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    While I really do understand the romance of having something from grandpa or your father, I have had to change my views. Material things are only valuable as long as the memories are alive. I was fond of my maternal grandfather, who pretty much died penniless. I still have his memories, they have value. If he gave me something significant, the memories would still be the valuable part.

I have been involved in enough grief counselling and got involved in enough estate distribution to know that it is not often that great things happen in the span of even one generation. By two or three generations, the value of inherited goods is almost non existent. Huge boxes of pictures and family heirlooms get dropped off at charity centers on a regular basis. If I have something that would be appreciated by someone else, I give it to them, even though they are not relatives.

Do the best you can and walk without any guilt and shame. The weight of "coulda, woulda, shoulda" is just not something a man needs to carry.
    This reminds me of a situation that occurred in the house we bought from an octogenarian couple. After we moved in, I ventured into the attic above the garage. It was full of "stuff".

I hauled it down into the garage and started going through it. I called the previous homeowner over to look at it. Most of it was boxes of pictures and trinkets saved over the years including some commendations he received while in the Army along with some Army photos.

He rifled through them quickly plucked out a couple items and asked if I would just toss the rest. I said, "are you sure"? He replied, "I'm not sentimental. All this stuff does is take up room in boxes I haven't been in for years."

I tossed it but not after I found two newspapers that I kept; one for a paper declaring the start of America's involvement in WWII, the second a paper headlining that the war was ended.

I'm still trying to find someone that can help me preserve them as some kind of wall hanging in my office.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Just keep everything, shoot them, enjoy the guns, and go down memory lane of going shooting with your dad. I inherited some of my Dad’s guns when he passed some 42 years ago and still have them. Every time I shoot them I get a knowing smile on my face. Best of luck to you OP!

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    There is no dishonor in selling an inherited firearm so that someone else will get to use and enjoy it. If you have the space, you can keep them all forever, and decide where they go via your will. But if you don't have any plans for using some of them, might as well get a little cash and give someone else the opportunity.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Sorry for your loss brother!
    I’ve been down this path already. My father in law passed… I ended up with guns and tools that I didn’t expect.
    My dad passed… ended up with guns and tools I didn’t expect.
    I sat on the stuff for awhile and pondered what too do with said items.
    I finally realized that none of it had any real meaning to me. My memories of those men meant more to me than the “inherited” items.
    Found out later that mother in law and my mom basically “pawned” these items off on me cause they didn’t know what to do with them. Lol
    I sold most of the stuff and used the money to buy things I wanted. I think of the dads whenever I use thes things.

Brother… don’t get too wrapped up in “sentimental” items. You can’t take them with you… do what makes you happy.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    There is no dishonor in selling an inherited firearm so that someone else will get to use and enjoy it. If you have the space, you can keep them all forever, and decide where they go via your will. But if you don't have any plans for using some of them, might as well get a little cash and give someone else the opportunity.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
    I agree.

And as we age, this problem isn't limited to firearms. The T-day dishes mom acquired thru S&H green stamps, the frosted glasses we used on special occasions, the "good silver", etc. My kids grew up and have their own stuff. I'm gonna have to have some chats with them this winter. Maybe sell those things and start a Roth IRA for each of the grandkids. Decisions...

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    My dad left me a nice collection of guns. Not museum stuff but just good quality guns. I have several Marlin 39’s. He loved those. He knew I loved them also. My wife and I never had kids ( didn’t fall for that gimmick). I always thought I’d pass these guns down to my nieces and nephews. Well, most of them dont have any interest. The ones that do have interest aren’t very responsible. I’m sure they would sell them the first time they needed a quick buck. I hate to even think about selling them. Have any of you ran into this problem?

I am sorry to hear this.....What a mess!

Let me ease your mind. You can just give them to me.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    My father was a great Dad to all of us. Loving, hard working, kind and hilarious. His memories are treasures. None of them are bad. I have a hatchet that the hired man bought him when he was 4 after his dad died, so 1931. It is still in great shape and I remember it growing up.
    Now my Dad was a master machinist and woodworker. He did incredible stuff that I can only hope to come close to. I have a shop full of machines and tools from him, up to a milling machine and newer 46" lathe. But it is the small things that really bring me back to him. Last night I grabbed scribe from a wooden machinists tool box on my bench to mark a butt plate for trimming and noticed it has his name engraved on it. Set me back for awhile with fine memories.

Take your time but they are only things, the memories last.

Don

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Sorry to hear of your father's passing, condolences and may he rest in peace.

Only input I can offer is what my Pops told me. He said, do with it what ya want, I'll be too busy being dead to give a ****.

I'm sure most parents just want these items to bring their children the same enjoyment and happiness it brought them, in whatever form that comes in...............using, gifting, donating or even selling.
    Inherited a cabin in WI from my dad. After several years, it became too much to keep, too far away. Finally came to the realization we needed to sell it. I dabble in coin collecting because of my dad. About a week after we sold the cabin, my coin dealer called me, first and only time. He got the last coin I needed to complete a set, one I have been looking for for some time. I go and get it with the portion of the cabin money I put aside for a coin or two and it is probably one of the nicest coins I have. The mintage, which I noticed much earlier was 4,450,000. My mom and dads phone growing up was xxx-4450. That was a sign too me that I made the right decision and that coin has as much sentimental value as the cabin did.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Grew up in gun culture.
    So nothing really wows me.
    Its just stuff.
    Got my dad's old beater brass frame .44 mag SBH all up n running.
    New base pin (oversize 1.5 thousandths), new BRC ejector rod housing, total tear down/clean, orig parts put back in (removed safety conversion parts). New grips.
    Its still a beater, but looks better.
    And all it does is sit in the safe.
    Why do I keep it?
    Im not sure.
    It used to clunk outside the bathroom door at dads for decades, hung in a Lawrence belt rig.
    The ol lady says buy some good leather and hang it outside on our bathoom door.
    Not kidding.

Seriously, have discussed it w buds that knew my dad way back.
    They crack up and we tell stories, kickstarted by the door knocker.

In that, its a fun piece. But it will proly not get leather and still just sit in the safe.
    Haven't even shot it. Think I borrowed it off the old man to hunt one season, a decade or more back. Hasn't been shot since.

I should book a bear hunt and whack one with it.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    My dad left me a nice collection of guns. Not museum stuff but just good quality guns. I have several Marlin 39’s. He loved those. He knew I loved them also. My wife and I never had kids ( didn’t fall for that gimmick). I always thought I’d pass these guns down to my nieces and nephews. Well, most of them dont have any interest. The ones that do have interest aren’t very responsible. I’m sure they would sell them the first time they needed a quick buck. I hate to even think about selling them. Have any of you ran into this problem?

A good friend of our family in his declining years gave most of his guns to his sons. Within a couple of years all of the guns had been sold. He had his granddad's shotgun and his shotgun. He knew our youngest daughter and her husband are hunters and appreciate guns. He brought the 2 guns to a Labor Day party we always had and gave them to our daughter and SIL. They wrote up the story on a piece of paper, rolled it up and put it in one of the barrels. Dates and names get forgotten, but this keeps it straight. Shame when you have to give your least valuable but most precious guns to a non family member. I was/am proud of them for getting those gifts.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    My FIL left me some guns, and I will never let them out of the family, I gifted my son, my FIL's Security Six, when he turned 20, my step son has struggled with some demons, and has moved in very positive directions over the past few years, I'm thinking of giving him his grandfathers 336 (I'm having a hard time letting go) but I feel it's right to let him have it. He's not a "gun guy", but I think he'll like it. I'm not going to put stipulations on it, but will tell him if he ever thinks of letting it go, to give me first right of refusal.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I will have to deal with this one day. My father left me a few guns, and my daughter has ZERO interest in them. I really struggle with who to leave them to, but I want them to stay in the family so I have a couple of options. I will probably split my guns between friends and family.

Scott58

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    NW indiana
    I'm in the same boat. My sister taught school for 40 years and raised two boys to be as Marxist as possible. No way I'm leaving my firearms to them or their kids. Put a few people from outside the family in my will. They are younger people who I used to work with who share the same values I do. It's about my only option unless I sell some of them and I'm not interested in that.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Great thread!
    I helped a fellow teacher after I retired sell her Dad's collection after he died.
    She had 2 rooms full of guns & rifles & ammo, & misc., mostly WW2 stuff.
    She asked for my help on how to dispose of everything b/c the relatives kept saying they would come over to pick up items they wanted, but for weeks, they did not.
    I told her not to take things to a dealer b/c she would get 10 - 25 cents on the dollar, & an auction can take 30%.
    I've been to some gun auctions where things sold very cheaply.
    Just this week, I bought a perfect 1990s gun that he purchased at auction cheaply b/c relatives didn't care & just wanted quick cash.

A member here that I had done business with before ended up buying everything at fair value & he could make a profit selling at tables at gun shows that he did & I could sell everything in one shot.
    When I asked her what she expected to get, I had sold everything for 5 times more than she expected.
    She was nearly in tears in gratitude & she knew I was impeccably honest about all the financials.
    Under full disclosure, I took a 10% commission, less than what we had agreed on since I sold everything so quickly.
    Some of the relatives put it into gear & scampered to get other rifles that I hadn't picked up yet when they found out she had turned it into quick cash, haha!
    I was going to make a 3rd trip to pick those up since I simply didn't have enough room in my Subaru to get everything at once.

I have a friend on INGO that will sell all my guns, ammo, optics & holsters after my demise for my wife.
    He will take a commission and/or guns/ammo of said value for his trouble.
    I have 3 people on INGO that I trust enough & know well enough to ask them to do that.
    There are probably another 6 that I could ask, but they are older than I am & I'll probably outlive them, haha!
    In a perfect world, if my hobby declines I can have the fun of selling everything myself or if I have declining health & know to start liquidating.
    My kids have no interest & I want my wife to recover money I have invested in the hobby to buy the next car or furnace or whatever, haha!

Bstarkey_46947

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2021
    Indiana
    I inherited a gun collection from my FIL and all his tools. The guns and tools still reside at my MIL house. I am fortunate, I have 1 son that is interested in guns and hunting and 1 son that has not interest at all (at this time). He introduced me to hunting back in the late 80s and I've been involved ever since. Opening day of Deer firearms season is a little sentimental for me, all three of the gentlemen I used to deer hunt with have all passed away but I have it to experience and share with my son now. I'd much rather have the 3 guys back and more good memories than the guns and tools.

Hassiebawked

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 18, 2019
    South Central Indiana
    years ago I saw a thread similar to this one, the question was "what happens to your collection when you die" so rather then have my wife sell them and get cheated, I decided if you want my guns you will have to marry her. One nice fellow said he would do it-send pics of guns
    Yeah, my biggest fear is dying and my wife selling my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Top Bottom