• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hassiebawked

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 18, 2019
    South Central Indiana
    My dad left me a nice collection of guns. Not museum stuff but just good quality guns. I have several Marlin 39’s. He loved those. He knew I loved them also. My wife and I never had kids ( didn’t fall for that gimmick). I always thought I’d pass these guns down to my nieces and nephews. Well, most of them dont have any interest. The ones that do have interest aren’t very responsible. I’m sure they would sell them the first time they needed a quick buck. I hate to even think about selling them. Have any of you ran into this problem?

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    I knew a retired college professor that hunted heavy, fished hard, shot trap, reloaded constant, and tied flies when the weather was bad. He died and left everything to his son who enjoyed the outdoors every bit as much as his dad.

The problem was that sonny boy was already completely outfitted. So he picked what he wanted, which was 20% or so. Then he proceeded to call up all dad's outdoor buddies and give away a trove of guns, tackle, ammo, reloading equipment and such. The leftovers were given to sonny boy's friends.

So if you could not stand to sell an inherited item I am sure a close friend would give it a nice home.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    I've struggled with similar issues, so I can empathize. Inheritances are kinda paradoxical when you're especially sentimental. I have many things I wish I never had to inherit, and will simply keep until my estate sale auction when it's no longer my problem. But you can't do that with everything.

One option I've found is to trade some of them. Bartering takes away the unpleasantness of discussing money and the associated negative feelings of 'selling' something.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Friends or acquaintances of you or dad. If it were me and no one had interest. I would sell some of the less important pieces to ease any financial burdens or spend on something to make you happy now. You can sell them to like minded people where they will turn into a family heirloom, I love getting pieces with history. I love holding something and using it like people did before me. Goodluck.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Inherited items of any type, come with a heavier responsibility than normal stuff.
    Having to deal with my mother's things became a rough thing to do. I had many memories associated to things from my past. Besides those items I had to deal with things I knew were special to my mother.
    But eventually reality slapped me in the face. I realized I just physically couldn't keep (hold on to), all that I wanted to.
    My sobering moment came when it dawned on me, the memories of my mother, her love and our relationship, was really the only thing of value to me. When I realized that, dealing with the "stuff" became much easier. Don't get me wrong, I probably still hung on to more than I should have. But my mind now sees these things as "stuff".

@Hassiebawked...
    My recommendation would be to hang on to the most remembered and treasured firearms from your dad.
    Allow yourself time to process the whole situation. After you're comfortable keeping selected guns, find the others good homes. Giving away, trading, selling, whatever you decide to do, be mentally comfortable doing that.
    If you're at a point where you just still feel attached to them, hold them. They aren't eating anything and can wait until you're ready to make a move.
    My heart goes out to you.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Condolences on the loss of your father. Having one's own crumb snatchers gives one opportunity to point them in a direction you think wise. Maybe they'll go that way.
    Things are things. Sometimes they conjure memories, good or bad. Remembering your father and your times together is a much greater honoring than caretaking random items he accumulated.
    Even greater honor would be achieved by using the things to teach a willing youngster about hunting and shooting. Maybe gift him or her a rimfire if they prove to have an interest.
    My :twocents:, and worth what you paid for it.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I have an older friend and shooting mentor who has no heirs, and is in the process of selling off a lot of his stuff so that his wife isn't saddled with it after he is gone. Most of them are pieces that he's collected personally over the years, so they're not overly sentimental to him, but they are to me due to the nature of our relationship. In addition to setting me up with a bunch of reloading tools and components from his stash, as well as some excellent gunsmithing books, I've bought a few guns off of him (Marlin lever-actions, actually) for prices that made them basically gifts, because he wouldn't take any more. While they're guns that I wanted for practical reasons, they also have a lot of sentimental value because they came from him, and I won't be selling them.

My recommendation would be to find a shooting buddy or younger mentee who you know will appreciate them for what they are and pass them on...either through gift or sale. You'll have the satisfaction of knowing they're going to a good home where they will be cared for for and appreciated, and they will have acquired a gun that might otherwise have been out of reach with some good memories attached.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Sorry to hear of your father's passing, condolences and may he rest in peace.

Only input I can offer is what my Pops told me. He said, do with it what ya want, I'll be too busy being dead to give a ****.

I'm sure most parents just want these items to bring their children the same enjoyment and happiness it brought them, in whatever form that comes in...............using, gifting, donating or even selling.

Fallschirmjaeger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Noblesville
    Sincere condolences for your loss. One question to consider— was your dad someone who used the guns a lot? If so, the guns deserve to go to others who will continue to use them in the way that your dad would have liked. If he was more of a collector, maybe it makes more sense (and economical sense) to sell them to others who would value them in the same way. Just a thought.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I also inherited a few guns from my dad. Each of use three brothers split the 9 firearms, 3 a piece.

We made a decision that we would never sell the guns unless to one another.

If I outlive my brothers and my kids aren't interested, I'll have no issues selling them at some point in the future.

I am not sentimental. Once you get old enough and you are looking to be the "last man standing" you need to do what's right for you and anyone else near and dear to you.

I know my father would understand. I would hope that other father's would too. They are tools and when I hold/shoot them, it brings back memories. But I don't want them sitting in a safe after I have breathed my last so some uninterested party can do what they want with them. I will always have the memories, material objects in possession or not.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Sorry about your Dad.

Give yourself time to process before you do anything. The mind doesn't work all that precisely in the grief cloud. Nothing is on fire, and you don't need any immediate action. Before you do anything know that the firearms themselves are just objects. Your memories with your dad are the important things.

After time you'll be less emotional and more rational about the firearms. In the meantime, use them and think about your dad.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I also inherited a few guns from my dad. Each of use three brothers split the 9 firearms, 3 a piece.

We made a decision that we would never sell the guns unless to one another.

If I outlive my brothers and my kids aren't interested, I'll have no issues selling them at some point in the future.

I am not sentimental. Once you get old enough and you are looking to be the "last man standing" you need to do what's right for you and anyone else near and dear to you.

I know my father would understand. I would hope that other father's would too. They are tools and when I hold/shoot them, it brings back memories. But I don't want them sitting in a safe after I have breathed my last so some uninterested party can do what they want with them. I will always have the memories, material objects in possession or not.
    I said something about my Dad awhile back to the grandkids and it hit me, they had no idea who I was talking about. They never met him. So they will never have the same feeling about his guns that I have. I have one gun that has been in the family since probably the mid 1860's give or take. I would hope that someone would treasure it in the family.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I said something about my Dad awhile back to the grandkids and it hit me, they had no idea who I was talking about. They never met him. So they will never have the same feeling about his guns that I have. I have one gun that has been in the family since probably the mid 1860's give or take. I would hope that someone would treasure it in the family.
    Keep telling the stories.

Top Bottom