• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Man, I just had to share this with the group. Yesterday, I went to Centerville, IN to witness my sister-in-law tie the knot. I met a lot of people there who I did not know and my father-in-law introduced me to a name named Mike Combs. Mike has a form of leukemia that is allegedly easy to retreat but it keeps coming back every year and a half or so. He is in year six or seven of his battle. He's doing well so lately and is a really good guy. I bring this up for two reasons.

I petition to everyone who has a moment to pray for Mike that this will be his last round of chemo and that it will be a successful round of chemo.

I'm not a real emotional kind of guy. I'm pretty arrogant and it is really hard to get me to be serious for more than 30 seconds because I hate its awkwardness. Anyway, when Mike introduced himself to me yesterday, he said he was glad to finally meet me. I asked him how he had heard of me and he said that my father-in-law put my name on their church's prayer request list as soon as they found out I had issues with my own health. He said that a burden had been on my heart and he has been praying for me for about a year and a half.

Man, say what you want about being bitter, jaded, cynical or sardonic... all of the things I commonly associate myself with... but that kind of attitude is humbling.

When I was moping about being sick back in Jan of 09, Mike called me and left me a voice mail saying that he didn't know me but that he was praying for me. He didn't mention his own struggle, he didn't give any flowery words... just his name and his purpose for the call. "Hi, this is Mike. You don't know me but I'm praying for you and your wife." Believe it or not, I saved that voicemail and listened to it a couple of times when I was feeling pretty blue last year.

In hindsight, I probably should have answered that phone call.

Or maybe not. I don't know. I shook Mike's hand a couple of times, shoot the breeze with him and he introduced his wife to me. One thing I do know, I'll be praying for Mike and his family. When you have a moment, do the same for him. Thanks.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Let’s try to hit the major bullets and the minors today folks... National Day of Prayer. Lets pray not just one another, but our country's leaders, allied leaders, and most importantly, lets pray for our enemies. Stay safe, God Bless. RNM

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    It is poignant and sad that these events have to come on Mother's Day, but I realize that death is just a part of life, and we don't get to choose the time or the circumstances, and she lived her life as robustly as anyone I have known.

Shadowbeach,

You make a wonderful point. This woman lived a full life. If your aunt is a Christian then this passing is a cause for celebration! She can say 'it is finished' and enter into her reward in Christ. I know there will be earthly sorrow, but from God's point-of-view, there will be joy at another saint who held fast to the end!

God bless you and your family.

lovemywoods

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Thanks to all that prayed for a family member who was having problems
    with 'Nam.' He seems to be doing much better, it has been a struggle for
    him. Saying some prayers for Mike, thanks for sharing that story weakerbrother.
    Prayer's also for your Great Aunt an family Shadowbeach

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Dad left on Monday for a trip to Mongolia for 11 days. He's been posting updates on Facebook and he's been in contact with Mom, and it's been going well. But this afternoon I got a voicemail from Mom saying that his wallet was stolen. Not a big deal, but I'd appreciate some extra prayers for his ministry there, for his safety while there and on his return home next week. From what he reports, God is continuing to do great things there! So that's a praise - that His Kingdom is being built stronger in places it isn't always allowed.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thanks TWB (and others who are also praying but didn't post).

In quick succession to, and perhaps more serious than, my last request...
    Some of you may recall my brother and his wife moved to Pennsylvania not too long ago. Yesterday we heard from them that his wife was not feeling well, went to the doctor, and he sent her to the hospital for observation. Without getting too much into it (because I'm not sure they'd want me to), there were a couple "worrisome" EKGs and the doctor has ordered a heart catheterization for Monday. She has been having problems sleeping well for quite a few years now, but thankfully she was able to get a good sleep last night - praise God!

Your prayers for her health and for a calming peace for both of them would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thanks TWB (and others who are also praying but didn't post).

In quick succession to, and perhaps more serious than, my last request...
    Some of you may recall my brother and his wife moved to Pennsylvania not too long ago. Yesterday we heard from them that his wife was not feeling well, went to the doctor, and he sent her to the hospital for observation. Without getting too much into it (because I'm not sure they'd want me to), there were a couple "worrisome" EKGs and the doctor has ordered a heart catheterization for Monday. She has been having problems sleeping well for quite a few years now, but thankfully she was able to get a good sleep last night - praise God!

Your prayers for her health and for a calming peace for both of them would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

She had some symptoms today, tingling and cold, clammy hands, so they transferred her to another hospital this afternoon to do the heart catheterization today instead of tomorrow.

The result of the operation was that her heart is fine. After a few hours recovery (I guess she isn't allowed to move for a while after this kind of op), she'll be discharged and sent home this evening!

Thanks for your prayers.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    A guy that lives down the street from my parents-in-law is a really good guy and I talk to him every time I am out that way (Colorado) and I found out his mother has a brain tumor and no health insurance........ he is selling his Elanore mustang to help pay for the bill's....... They are a really nice family.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    A guy that lives down the street from my parents-in-law is a really good guy and I talk to him every time I am out that way (Colorado) and I found out his mother has a brain tumor and no health insurance........ he is selling his Elanore mustang to help pay for the bill's....... They are a really nice family.

I will definitely be praying for that family. If she can't get help, tell her to check out a local Catholic hospital. They get tax write offs for donating help to those without health insurance and can sometimes be a little more easier to work with. Partner up with a social worker as well. They can act as a secretary to the family in times of stress.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I will definitely be praying for that family. If she can't get help, tell her to check out a local Catholic hospital. They get tax write offs for donating help to those without health insurance and can sometimes be a little more easier to work with. Partner up with a social worker as well. They can act as a secretary to the family in times of stress.

Thanks for the info.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Where in Colorado?

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Bump for updates and requests.

The first phone call in the office I took today was tracking down a few debit card purchases. I provided the info and the woman I was speaking with starting breaking down and crying. She told me that her husband had run off because they found out he was dying of kidney cancer. She wasn't sure where he was and he wasn't answering phone calls. I had to breech protocol for the moment and told her that I would be praying for her and her husband. She thanked me several times for stating that and that she believes in the power of prayer.

Please do the same for this woman and her family.

Top Bottom