• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Okay, I want your honest feedback. Since I moved to Virginia, I have been going out of my mind. There are absolutely no training opportunities within three to four hours of my location. I just may be spoiled from living in the capitol city of Indiana and everything being in close proximity. Still, examining the people at the range, I see a great need in this area, but could I do it?

I've always wanted to do something to give back to the gun community, but every time I start something, work gets in the way. I would still like to really get EDC Nation off the ground, but since moving, all of my resources are gone. As for me becoming a trainer, I guess I'm wondering if I should work to become a trainer or simply be the conduit to bring trainers to my area?

From my experience on INGO, I know most people want an extensive resume, with a great deal of military, LE, or contractor experience. That is something I do not have, well at least the high-level black ops stuff. I'm just an average guy. That said, I am leaning toward the possibility of becoming a type of "promoter" to bring trainers to this area. Because work responsibilities can fluctuate, I'm thinking this is the better option. But, would trainers actually come and conduct classes for someone they don't know? Is this how they normally do it? Also, do they normally charge a flat rate or charge per-person registered? What do you trainers and those of you who take classes think about this? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think you could and should do both. I say this because you are a good communicator and that is a huge part of teaching any subject.

In my opinion, you should not allow lack of high speed/low drag military training to discourage you. Sure, some people "demand" those kind of credentials, but they're probably not for the most part the kind of people you want to (or need to) reach. Being able to communicate, teach, and demonstrate are the keys. Having a strong command of the fundamentals is essential. I didn't say "master" the fundamentals because some people will never be satisfied with their level of skill mastery, even if they are really, really good at executing those skills on demand.

If I were you, I would get NRA Instructor credentials. Not so much to teach their classes, but instead it's the only real credential that is respected outside of those who are experienced in the training world. It can also make it easier for you to get insurance and it will help you assist your students in getting out of state carry permits/licenses in some cases.

I would also seek training from some other, preferably more diverse, sources. I know you've trained with Tactical Response and there is nothing inherently wrong with that, but I think you'd ultimately be a better teacher of skills if you spent time with people like Louis Awerbuck, John Farnam, Clint Smith, etc. Get as much training as you can, with as many talented and experienced teachers as you can. The best sources of knowledge aren't always the best marketers, so talk to some journeyman instructors/teachers and ask them about who helped guide them along the way.

You also don't have to jump into this in the deep end by yourself. Find someone whose program you like, take most or all of their courses including their instructor development/certification classes, and then volunteer to help them teach their classes.

As far as promoting/hosting instructors, I'd say that the more training you have under your belt, the better you will be at assessing who are good people to bring to your area and who are people you're rather avoid. The more experienced you are as consumer, the better you will be at gauging the needs and interests of your market and who will best meet the those needs.

Good luck!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    With limited time and resources I think the hosting idea has some real merit.

But, would trainers actually come and conduct classes for someone they don't know? Is this how they normally do it? Also, do they normally charge a flat rate or charge per-person registered? What do you trainers and those of you who take classes think about this? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

As a host, your job is to A) find a suitable venue, B) find a suitable trainer or training group, C) find suitable students, and D) put them all together! You simply become the contact point for the course. You're a details man, and you figure out the what, when, where, and how.

In my experience the host typically gets to take the course for free in exchange for the above work. Sometimes a venue will charge a per-student or per-course fee (which would be absorbed by the students). Then of course the trainer charges each student their fee.

I've seen many training companies operate in this fashion, so you should have no problem getting trainers once you have a venue and potential students.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Que, I don't know you except virtually so I can't say what kind of teacher you would make. It is obvious you are intelligent and conscientious so if you can find a suitable venue, hosting should be no problem. As to instructing, it is funny you should mention this now. I was just whining to Josh yesterday about the very sad training resumes of some of the instructors I have seen advertising classes. He reminded me that it all depends on what level of student they are teaching to. He is right.

As a side note, I can't believe that there is no training closer to you than that, I would not have imagined that.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Que, I don't know you except virtually so I can't say what kind of teacher you would make. It is obvious you are intelligent and conscientious so if you can find a suitable venue, hosting should be no problem. As to instructing, it is funny you should mention this now. I was just whining to Josh yesterday about the very sad training resumes of some of the instructors I have seen advertising classes. He reminded me that it all depends on what level of student they are teaching to. He is right.

As a side note, I can't believe that there is no training closer to you than that, I would not have imagined that.

I'm really interested in teaching basic courses to new shooters. I've helped teach the NRA course with Vert a few times and I really enjoyed that. I was at the range yesterday and NOBODY had a holster. It didn't appear that many knew about the safety rules. Hmmmm... maybe the Basic NRA Course would be the place to start.

There is one conservation club in this area and I'm on their waiting list for membership. I'm shooting a competition out there next week and I'll see what they have to offer.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I'm really interested in teaching basic courses to new shooters. I've helped teach the NRA course with Vert a few times and I really enjoyed that. I was at the range yesterday and NOBODY had a holster. It didn't appear that many knew about the safety rules. Hmmmm... maybe the Basic NRA Course would be the place to start.
    From what I've seen & know of you, this would work well for you. I'm looking to get my NRA RO & Pistol Training Certs this year to help better represent my HHRP Club / Steel Valley & maybe work into an assistant instructor position (if someone has room / need for one) Maybe you could even bring a little FNS to the VA?!?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I have watched several of your comedy videos, based on that alone I think you could pull it off. You are very well spoken and have a great demeanor about you. I say go for it if you can make it work with your work schedule. Be it as a trainer or the go to guy to set it up.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Que is good to go. I would recommend the NRA Basic Pistol Course and RangeMaster Instructor Development Course to start. Not everything needs to be high speed, low drag. I appauld your desire to give back to the firearms community. You will do great.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    From what I've seen & know of you, this would work well for you. I'm looking to get my NRA RO & Pistol Training Certs this year to help better represent my HHRP Club / Steel Valley & maybe work into an assistant instructor position (if someone has room / need for one) Maybe you could even bring a little FNS to the VA?!?

Do the Basic Pistol Instructor course. There is a test you can take and for $40 get the RSO cert. (edit: this RSO test requires you to be a certified instructor) I had/have the paperwork somewhere but never filled it out. Never saw a need to be an RSO. I did complete a yearly RSO refresher course every winter when I lived in South Dakota.

There is some stuff starting to brew at Sand Creek. Going to need your assistance

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Mike I appreciate this post. There was a thread some time back about what people look for in a trainer. What is an appropriate resume? I will admit my resume is not strong enough but I do not make any claims otherwise. I have shot with people and even have some friends who somewhat overestimate their skill level and experience. I have also noticed the opposite to be true.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Okay, I want your honest feedback. Since I moved to Virginia, I have been going out of my mind. There are absolutely no training opportunities within three to four hours of my location. I just may be spoiled from living in the capitol city of Indiana and everything being in close proximity. Still, examining the people at the range, I see a great need in this area, but could I do it?

I've always wanted to do something to give back to the gun community, but every time I start something, work gets in the way. I would still like to really get EDC Nation off the ground, but since moving, all of my resources are gone. As for me becoming a trainer, I guess I'm wondering if I should work to become a trainer or simply be the conduit to bring trainers to my area?

From my experience on INGO, I know most people want an extensive resume, with a great deal of military, LE, or contractor experience. That is something I do not have, well at least the high-level black ops stuff. I'm just an average guy. That said, I am leaning toward the possibility of becoming a type of "promoter" to bring trainers to this area. Because work responsibilities can fluctuate, I'm thinking this is the better option. But, would trainers actually come and conduct classes for someone they don't know? Is this how they normally do it? Also, do they normally charge a flat rate or charge per-person registered? What do you trainers and those of you who take classes think about this? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

I would not use INGO as representative of what 'most people' want.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Mike I appreciate this post. There was a thread some time back about what people look for in a trainer. What is an appropriate resume? I will admit my resume is not strong enough but I do not make any claims otherwise. I have shot with people and even have some friends who somewhat overestimate their skill level and experience. I have also noticed the opposite to be true.

Oh boy, like I can't get in enough trouble here on my own. The more I thought about what Josh told me, the more I realized he was right. It is all relative. My resume is pretty thin if you compare it to guys like Larry Vickers or Loius Awerbuck or whoever. Even though I probably have more classes and experience than you, in the one class we were in together you did just as well as anyone else and IIRC beat me on the written test. That being said, I feel you need some kind of a base of knowledge more than just a NRA certification and one or two classes if you plan on teaching something other than basic marksmanship. It can be a horrible feeling if a student has a problem or question and the only answer you have you read in a book or saw in a video. In the end, it is all up to the student to make that judgement.

You bring up a great point with your comment about not making big claims. Some things I list, but don't make an issue of, like my military or police service because they are not that relevant and were a lifetime ago. If a guy has 20+ years in SF or SWAT (not me) and is teaching to that group of students then it makes a whole bunch of sense to advertise that.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

There is one conservation club in this area and I'm on their waiting list for membership. I'm shooting a competition out there next week and I'll see what they have to offer.
    Que, we have ,met, on more than a couple occasions, and shot together at least that many times, I would recommend you, 100%.... if my word, means anything to you .....

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Que, if I understand you correctly, you should be quite able to effectively take those beginners in hand and impart a solid understanding of safe handling, basic marksmanship, weapon maintenance, and so forth. Don't do another wardrobe faux pas with those bright orange ear plugs which clash with the rest of the ensemble, and you should be good to go! :):

Then again, if you DO repeat the earplug clash, at least it would reinforce the idea on your future students that they need to use ear protection!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think it's great you're even considering this. You never know when you'll stumble upon what you're really meant to be here for. You've recognized a need; there may be an untapped market ready and waiting.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Jump in.

The bottom line is that you have to not only know what to teach, but also know WHY you teach what you teach.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Que, I have only read your posts, watched your videos, and met you once.

From that, I think you'd do a fantastic job.
    Yup, as was mentioned, probably get the NRA certs, people do like that.

Next, probably gonna be part time, don't quit your day job.
    You have to drum up the interest first.
    I'm sure once some people take your class, and start talking to their friends about it, it will start to take off.

Top Bottom