• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Problem is, drawing when the guy has the knife out and is only 2 feet away, that becomes an issue.

Anyone want to guess the distance of the old guy was at? Im thinking maybe a little farther than 5 feet. Maybe the attacker was even facing the defender (bad situation to draw at). This old guy is a hero, but there were probably alot of variables against him.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    <<snip>>Ive been at knife point once in college and while I had a gun in my back pocket, I just gave him the wallet and let him on his way. Had I tried to draw or tell him to drop it, I would probably be eating from a tube now. Not as glamourous as the traning vids show it huh? Guy eventually got caught not even 15 minutes later.
    <<snip>>
    RIP Old Man.

You know D.H. maybe your conscious thought was IF i pull this gun out of my pocket, I will be released from this college and my investment into my future will be for naught.
    The other poster had it right, you were in an attack and you lived to tell about it and you got another chance at life.
    Anyway you look at it you still came out on top. You are a winner! :cheers:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    With todays politcal thing, you are right GETA2J.

Do we have a name of this guy though? I would like to know what distance and situation this guy was in b/c its a learning situation. If the attacker was facing towards the old guy, then there would have been a huge disadvantage. Maybe he thought the attacker would have dropped the weapon with some words?

If an attacker is facing you, I dont know if there would be enough time for words/commands or even a good draw/shot. You would have to be stupid fast in order to get him shot in the time he could turn the gun on you. Also, this is in a parking lot, not sure if there was any cover available either. 38th and Moller is a rough spot, not sure I would even go there during the day let alone 11pm.

The huge plus is that a much younger woman is now alive and well due to the sacrifice of an older man. Something of this sits well with me.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    That had me a bit on edge that night... I live 5-10 minutes away and I never sleep well on nights when I hear of a shooting close... matter of fact I had a nasty dream that night about being present at a bank robbery and it not turning out well at all for 3 people.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    You know D.H. maybe your conscious thought was IF i pull this gun out of my pocket, I will be released from this college and my investment into my future will be for naught.
    The other poster had it right, you were in an attack and you lived to tell about it and you got another chance at life.
    Anyway you look at it you still came out on top. You are a winner! :cheers:

Agreed. Sun Tzu wrote a long time ago, "He will triumph who knows when to fight and when not to fight." OK, yeah, he wrote it in Chinese, but you get the idea. You knew that the odds against you exceeded the odds in your favor. You gave him what he wanted, served as a good witness, and ran your pants through the washing machine. In that situation, it doesn't sound like you had much choice.
    Bottom line, DH, you're alive, you got your wallet back, you learned, and the BG got caught. I can't think of many better outcomes.

:+1: to you.

Blessings,
    B

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've eaten at that restaurant many times. That's the strip mall that Best Buy is in. The whole neighborhood has been going downhill for many years but was once the cutting edge of suburban commerce. Times change, be prepared, be safe :do2:

I lived on that side of town for 18 years and was there this week and am surprised how it has changed. It is depressing.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    I hope they catch the POS that did this. The city is falling apart in more areas as well. The east side is going to pot and well as the area we live in.
    RIP Ol boy you did good.

Santee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    DH, You do not draw on someone with a knife a couple feet from you. Hell, you did what any sane person would have done, you lived.

In any situation, training notwithstanding, each person will react according to their nature. Discretion is the better part of valor, know when to use it.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    My 14 yo son and I had a good discussion about this tragic incident. My son has been rather excited that I got my L.T. Permit. First discussion was reason I carry: first and foremost to exercise my 2nd Amend. Rights and second for protection. What I discussed with my son is that "things" can be replaced. People can't. I told him if someone breaks into the house and I'm aware of it than I am staying upstairs (where all the bedrooms are). They can have the junk I have downstairs. Soon as the criminal lands one foot on the stairs than his getting a chest full of No. 4 shot or 230 gr. of lead from my 45. Not INTERNET bravado I've been in combat and I know what I can do and can't do. What I drum into my kids' heads is this: "your brain is the most powerful weapon: ENGAGE IT!"

I feel terrible for the family, I have eaten in that area often. Hindsight is 20/20 so I won't engage in second guessing the decisions made; I wasn't there and I don't have the whole story.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I went to that parking lot on Saturday just to see the area. I couldnt tell where the guy had been, but the whole place was really wide open. Did they ever catch the guy that shot him? Not a terribly high amount of lighting but close to some houses.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    A couple of points.

What would I do in this situation. I ask myself that all of the time. I have read of some that would only pull if their own life or one of their family was in danger. The reason for that is that the situation could be mistaken in some way, and you may be in the wrong.

The other point is that I have read often that if you pull on a BG, you better be ready to start shooting immediately. This is because of the tendency of the BG being brought up to shoot first or be shot.

That means that if you pull, you shoot, and you better not be mistaken.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Shooter Arrested

He was in jail (arrested on 7-6) when arrested for this charge. Evidently he's been robbing folks in the neighborhood using his Mom's car. 4 counts of Robbery, 4 counts of criminal confinement. 2 others arrested with him. His photo was caught on the Home Depot security cameras.

Teen charged as an adult in Good Samaritan shooting

July 11, 2008 07:30 PM EDT
    INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - Metro detectives arrested a suspect in the shooting that started the wave of violence in Indianapolis.
    Sixteen-year-year-old Dominique Staten is charged as an adult in the murder of 72-year-old Mario Gonzalez-Tello.
    He died on June 30 in the parking lot outside Mr. Gyro's at 38th and Moller on the city's west side.
    Police say Tello pointed a gun at a Staten attempting to rob a friend. The suspect fired and killed Tello.
    Staten is charged with murder and robbery.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom