• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I just got back from the property room. I got the gun back, plus one of the magazines, fully loaded with ball ammo.

The gun is not in great shape. There is a whole lot of surface rust on both the slide and barrel. I haven't had a chance to examine it too closely yet, but I didn't see any major pitting. I'm hoping with a little TLC it will at least be functional, even if it's not very pretty.

It wasn't exactly running like a sewing machine before it was stolen, so it had already been removed from the carry rotation. Hopefully it will at least continue to function as a range toy.

The entire process of picking it up took less than 45 minutes, which I thought was OK considering it's a government office. It could have gone much quicker, but I was worried it was going to take several hours.

I dont recall - was this stolen, so the police recovered it from a thief? If so, I guess we cant help them responsible for the condition as the thief probably did not take care of it. If the cops got it directly from you, a different story...

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I dont recall - was this stolen, so the police recovered it from a thief? If so, I guess we cant help them responsible for the condition as the thief probably did not take care of it. If the cops got it directly from you, a different story...

Stolen during a home buglarly in 2014. I had it in a pistol safe to keep the kids out, but it wasn't bolted down.

The gun was recovered sometime in 2015. The story I was told, was that they thought someone had tossed it out of a car window because it was recovered under an over pass, or near a bridge.

I have no clue if that's true, or what the context would be for how they knew that other than a guess based on the location where it was found. I think it was the gal at the City-County huilding that told me.

The mag was loaded with 12 of a possible 13 rounds, and there was one in the chamber. Thugs don't have a reputation as being crack shots, so I don't think it was tossed after a shooting. Not with so many rounds still in the gun.

I think after a thorough cleaning it will function just fine. I did a quick field strip and a lot of the rust seemed to wipe away easily. I don't think any of the damage is significant enough to be super upset about it.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Stolen during a home buglarly in 2014. I had it in a pistol safe to keep the kids out, but it wasn't bolted down.

The gun was recovered sometime in 2015. The story I was told, was that they thought someone had tossed it out of a car window because it was recovered under an over pass, or near a bridge.

I have no clue if that's true, or what the context would be for how they knew that other than a guess based on the location where it was found. I think it was the gal at the City-County huilding that told me.

The mag was loaded with 12 of a possible 13 rounds, and there was one in the chamber. Thugs don't have a reputation as being crack shots, so I don't think it was tossed after a shooting. Not with so many rounds still in the gun.

I think after a thorough cleaning it will function just fine. I did a quick field strip and a lot of the rust seemed to wipe away easily. I don't think any of the damage is significant enough to be super upset about it.

It took three years to get it back? There is something horribly wrong with this.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    The return condition is frustrating, but I’m not totally surprised either. Hopefully it cleans up halfway decent at least.

I just got done with the deep clean. I didn't completely take it apart, but did as best as I could with a field strip, some Q-tips, an old toothbrush and a gravy boatload of Hoppe's 9.

I have to say, the old girl cleaned up pretty good. She has a few new rough spots, but nothing other than minor cosmetic damage.

cGl7J8g.jpg

I'm just glad to have it back. It was the first gun I ever bought.

It took three years to get it back? There is something horribly wrong with this.

Yep. That's pretty much what this thread is about.

Now we need to work on getting Hop's gun back.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I just got done with the deep clean. I didn't completely take it apart, but did as best as I could with a field strip, some Q-tips, an old toothbrush and a gravy boatload of Hoppe's 9.

I have to say, the old girl cleaned up pretty good. She has a few new rough spots, but nothing other than minor cosmetic damage.

I'm just glad to have it back. It was the first gun I ever bought.

Yep. That's pretty much what this thread is about.

Now we need to work on getting Hop's gun back.

So this took three years to get back and it wasn't really even connected to an investigation of any sort short of being stolen?

gewehr3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    I had a pistol stolen several years ago. I kept checking back every six months to see if it was recovered. IMPD was very difficult to deal with. Eventually, with some assistance, I found out the pistol had been recovered years ago, but never properly logged back into the system. The detectives never contacted me or returned my phone calls. I still haven't been able get my pistol returned.

Thankfully, the pistol was insured. It has been a frustrating experience to say the least.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I had a pistol stolen several years ago. I kept checking back every six months to see if it was recovered. IMPD was very difficult to deal with. Eventually, with some assistance, I found out the pistol had been recovered years ago, but never properly logged back into the system. The detectives never contacted me or returned my phone calls. I still haven't been able get my pistol returned.

Thankfully, the pistol was insured. It has been a frustrating experience to say the least.

If insurance paid, isn't the pistol theirs?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

Judging by their actions in doing everything they can to avoid returning guns to lawful citizens, those in charge at IMPD are obviously allied with the anti-gun forces in Marion County.

I remember many years ago when Goldsmith was Prosecutor and the City Council had a guy named Rozelle Boyd pushing to outlaw most guns in Marion County.
    I was at the City Council meeting when it was standing room only to protest it.
    It was pushed back then.

And this latest recent push to outlaw so-called "assault weapons" proves anti-gun forces in Indianapolis government are alive and well.
    So there IS a long history of anti-gun sentiment in Indianapolis.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I don’t think that anyone at IMPD is aware or cares much about the firearm release process. There is no noise being made about it that would require their attention.

YoureTrying

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2018
    The Region
    Very interesting 35 page read even though half of it was inside cracks on others that I didn't understand but nevertheless pretty entertaining.

1stly, congratulations @MCgrease on the return of your gun.

2ndly, I think my cheapo g43 just became my EDC after all of this :D

3rdly, staying out of Indy, more specifically Marion county.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Very interesting 35 page read even though half of it was inside cracks on others that I didn't understand but nevertheless pretty entertaining.

1stly, congratulations @MCgrease on the return of your gun.

2ndly, I think my cheapo g43 just became my EDC after all of this :D

3rdly, staying out of Indy, more specifically Marion county.

Welcome. Nice first post.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Yeah I don't think there's some anti gun conspiracy going on with the upper echelons of IMPD. If you've never worked for the government you don't really know how efficiently inefficient it is.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    No. This seems pretty damn cut and dry. If there's no charges or conviction against you, they should run a quick check on the gun, check your ID, and hand you your ****ing gun back on the spot. They should not be able to hold your firearm for more than an hour while they run those checks with you standing at their desk. Keeping your property for months is inexcusable.

This shouldn't be any different from when cops relieve people of their firearm during a traffic stop.

Yeah I don't think there's some anti gun conspiracy going on with the upper echelons of IMPD. If you've never worked for the government you don't really know how efficiently inefficient it is.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    No. This seems pretty damn cut and dry. If there's no charges or conviction against you, they should run a quick check on the gun, check your ID, and hand you your ****ing gun back on the spot. They should not be able to hold your firearm for more than an hour while they run those checks with you standing at their desk. Keeping your property for months is inexcusable.

This shouldn't be any different from when cops relieve people of their firearm during a traffic stop.

Agreed, and I do think that somewhere in the chain, folks look the other way because it is a firearm, when it should be exactly the opposite and this should be considered an "infringement".

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Just FYI... I've contacted a lawyer to help get back my seized property. Let's see what happens first; getting my "still hurting off and on twisted knee" approved for an MRI by my insurance company or getting my pistol back. Next week gets close to 5 damn months!!!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Never ascribe to a conspiracy what can be accounted for by incompetency and inefficiency.

Top Bottom