Indiana setting local homicide records year-after-year.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Did a double take when I saw the leading cause of death for 2018.
    And I wonder at why it isn't included in the murder stats.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I think the 90's were really bad up north in Gary and south bend
    If you look it up, you'll find the murder rate in pretty much any metropolitan area was a lot higher in the 90s. Indy was almost double what it is now
    Homicide_Rate_in_Indianapolis.png

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you look it up, you'll find the murder rate in pretty much any metropolitan area was a lot higher in the 90s. Indy was almost double what it is now

But total murders have now set a record in Indy. I'm guessing the per capita rate has gone down due to an increase in population?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

Yep, wife and I were discussing this yesterday. The media makes a huge deal about how the murder rate is increasing, without explaining that it's actually going down per capita. Of course, that just wouldn't fit the agenda very well... :rolleyes:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Yep, wife and I were discussing this yesterday. The media makes a huge deal about how the murder rate is increasing, without explaining that it's actually going down per capita. Of course, that just wouldn't fit the agenda very well... :rolleyes:
    Or that the VAST...VAST majority of homicide victims are involved in crimes that caused them to get killed. Now, I do not want to downplay the true innocent victims and their deaths are a sincere tragedy. However, if you are not involved in the criminal element, your chances of death are extremely remote.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    The way I see it 9 out of 10 murder victims died innocent, never having had the opportunity to associate themselves with criminal activity.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Made it almost 5 whole days into the new year. The first two go to the west side (Haughville), I was expecting the east side. People not killing each other seems too much to ask.

Indianapolis homicide detectives are investigating their first homicide of 2019. Shortly after 6:30 p.m. Saturday, IMPD officers were sent to the 1100 block of Sharon Avenue on the city’s west side. A caller told police they could see someone inside the residence lying on the floor.

Upon arrival police say the found the first male victim in the hallway. Police say the second victim was discovered when homicide detectives and the crime lab came inside to search the home.

Captain Robert Troutt said they guy living at the home was in the process of moving out. “We don’t know all of the circumstances. We know that he’s had some problems with other people in the neighborhood, so he was just moving out and going somewhere else,” Captain Troutt said.

Investigators say the victims are two males in their late 20’s.

https://fox59.com/2019/01/05/two-dead-in-first-homicide-of-the-new-year/

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    IMPD releases final homicide numbers for 2019

Slightly lower than last year.

2019 Intentional Homicides (Murders): 152
    2018 Intentional Homicides (Murders): 158
    2019 Total Homicides: 171
    2018 Total Homicides: 178

“For the first time in nearly a decade, our city has seen a decrease in the number of homicides impacting our community,” said IMPD Chief Randal Taylor. “This small victory is a notable one, but the fact remains that just one homicide in our city is one too many. Today, as we begin a new decade, let us all recommit ourselves to working together to make Indianapolis an even safer place to call home. Many thanks to the women and men of the IMPD for their selfless service, continuous engagement, and courageous actions throughout the year.”

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I think the non-fatal shooting #s are up, but that is anecdotal at this point because I have not seen the data. Could be several reasons why more weren't killings, bad shots, good medical care, luck, etc...

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Where are the non-fatal shootings numbers? We are always one ambulance/medic away from a shooting becoming a killing.

I seem to remember Lt. Col. Grossman touching on this subject while giving a presentation I attended. His take seemed to be that modern/emergent care was contributing to lower homicide rates, but I don't recall if there were overall stats to represent non-fatals, as vupd mentions.

Top Bottom