Indiana Senator Braun Joining In Contesting Electors.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Is it 2 hours of debate for EACH objection?
    I don't believe so, but not sure. I believe it takes a minimum of one Rep and one Sen in writing. Now if there were multiple pairs with different objections, then possibly but don't know.
    What I believe I read is that each objection has to be resolved before the process can move on. If they object to the counts in all six states, I believe it will be six seperate debates, one on each objection. IIRC they can't move on to the uncontested states and save the contested ones for last, either. Arizona likely to be the first and Wisconsin the last

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    What I believe I read is that each objection has to be resolved before the process can move on. If they object to the counts in all six states, I believe it will be six seperate debates, one on each objection. IIRC they can't move on to the uncontested states and save the contested ones for last, either. Arizona likely to be the first and Wisconsin the last
    After some further reading, I'm pretty sure you are correct. Votes are opened in alphabetical order with a chance for objection after each, if a proper objection is made then the two houses separate for debate and vote then go on to the next. So my prediction has changed, after somewhere between 2-102hrs (most likely between 2-12) of debate the house will vote to not uphold any of the objections and Biden will be certified the winner. And as before if I'm wrong great. But I don't see the house upholding the objections.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Is it 2 hours of debate for EACH objection?
    I have heard it is a 2-hour debate PER state. If they get to a state and have 1 house and 1 senate member object, off they go to debate that state for 2 hours. It should happen several times. Even if it doesn't play out, the debates should be recorded and the evidence in each state fraud election should be public. It is disgusting how this election was filled with fraud and not even tried to hide it because they figured they had liberal judges on their side and had enough members to override objections. It will likely be the most contested election in history, even if Trump has the military run another election. If enough state electors are thrown out where neither side gets 270, then the entire election goes to the house and senate. The House votes for the President and the Senate votes for the Vice president. Each state gets 1 vote in this process. There are 20 Democrat states and 30 Republican states.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Is anyone else confused by the fact that several Senators, including Braun, pulled their support for the objection to certify because of the kerfuffle at the Capitol?

I mean, either you think the election should be contested or you don't. That opinion shouldn't change based on the reaction of the mob.

I wonder what would happen if Braun supported an AWB and gun owners stormed the Capitol. Something tells me he wouldn't change his mind in that case and vote against it.

This just proves how spineless these people really are. The minute they face angry Americans they collapse.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Is anyone else confused by the fact that several Senators, including Braun, pulled their support for the objection to certify because of the kerfuffle at the Capitol?

I mean, either you think the election should be contested or you don't. That opinion shouldn't change based on the reaction of the mob.

I wonder what would happen if Braun supported an AWB and gun owners stormed the Capitol. Something tells me he wouldn't change his mind in that case and vote against it.

This just proves how spineless these people really are. The minute they face angry Americans they collapse.
    BTW, this was not a one and done type of vote situation. This would have required multiple votes to get anything done. He ONLY said he would make the objection vote...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

I think it will be presented as a 'principled' decision to avoid further inciting unrest, but I cannot escape the feeling it just gave them an excuse to do what most of them wanted to do anyway - to get the matter behind them while appearing to have been willing to defend the constitution and the election process and get on with the business of jockeying for position at the relocated trough

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    I think it will be presented as a 'principled' decision to avoid further inciting unrest, but I cannot escape the feeling it just gave them an excuse to do what most of them wanted to do anyway - to get the matter behind them while appearing to have been willing to defend the constitution and the election process and get on with the business of jockeying for position at the relocated trough
    On the bright side, maybe Roberts will allow the SC to hear a case now. I mean wasn't his reasoning for not doing so to prevent riots?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Wait - now I'm confused.

I thought the whole point of this kerfuffle was "we" want lawmakers to collapse and do our bidding when get angry?

The whole objection was nothing more than kabuki theatre, so it's not surprising if he backed down when faced with consequences of this farce.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    On the bright side, maybe Roberts will allow the SC to hear a case now. I mean wasn't his allegedly overheard reasoning for not doing so to prevent riots?
    FIFY.

Who are we backing for our next senate race?

We need a couple good one's lined up, right?
    Wow. If Braun isn't good enough, then I don't know who would be. Seems like any politician makes one decision that's disagreeable, then it's on to the next.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    Response from Senator Young RE: certification of election:
    Dear _______________,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the recent events surrounding the congressional certification of the 2020 presidential election results. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.
    Congress’ role in the presidential election process is narrow by design. States are responsible for their own elections and for determining the resulting electors. Accordingly, Congress has no authority to do anything other than certify states’ Electoral College votes as reported.
    Under federal law, electoral votes are counted during a joint session of the Senate and the House of Representatives on the fixed date of January 6 following each presidential election. According to the Electoral Count Act of 1887, members of Congress may object to the counting of the electoral votes from one or more states or the District of Columbia. Objections must be signed by at least one representative and one senator and “shall state clearly and concisely, and without argument, the ground thereof.”
    If an objection to a state’s electoral votes is received and meets the requirements, each chamber convenes separately to consider whether to concur with the objection. If both chambers vote to affirm the objection by a simple majority, then that state’s votes are discarded and the electoral victory threshold decreases. If the objection fails, then the original electoral votes for that state are counted and the process of counting the remaining states’ electoral votes continues. Prior to the 2020 election, there were only two instances of bicameral electoral vote challenges since 1887. In both instances, the objections were rejected by the House and the Senate.
    On January 6, 2021, as Congress met to debate a bicameral objection to the electoral votes from the State of Arizona, a violent mob of rioters breached and then occupied the U.S. Capitol, disrupting the constitutional and democratic process of counting all states’ certified electoral votes. In America, we have a right to peacefully protest, but what occurred at the U.S. Capitol on January 6 went against everything we stand for as a nation. Violence, no matter the venue, no matter the cause, is not a legitimate means of achieving social change or relieving political frustrations.
    Like many Hoosiers, I too wish the results of the 2020 election were different. Over the last four years, I have strongly supported President Trump and I am proud of the list of accomplishments we’ve secured for the American people – including the confirmation of three conservative justices to the Supreme Court, implementing significant regulatory reform, combating opioid abuse, and instituting historic tax reform for the first time in 31 years. However, the U.S. Department of Justice has stated that there was no evidence of widespread voter fraud substantial enough to change the outcome of the election.
    As stated in Section 5 of Title 3 of the U.S. Code, whenever any state makes a final determination by judicial or other means of any controversy or contest concerning the appointment of electors, that determination is conclusive as long as it is made at least six days before the fixed meeting of the Electoral College. On December 14, 2020, the Electoral College met and confirmed the outcome of the 2020 U.S. presidential election based on the results formally certified by the states on or before December 8, in compliance with federal law.
    Given that, for Congress to supplant the will of states’ certified electors for its own would be unconstitutional and set a dangerous precedent, damaging the integrity of and respect for the Electoral College. Upon assuming this office, I took a solemn, inviolable oath to support and defend our Constitution, just as I did as a United States Marine. I have not violated that oath and will continue to uphold it.
    Hours after the U.S. Capitol was initially breached and in spite of these attempts to undermine the electoral system, Congress reconvened to complete the Electoral College certification process. In short, the Senate voted to dismiss the objections raised to Arizona and Pennsylvania’s electors by a vote of 93 to 6 and 92 to 7, respectively. Americans voted, the Electoral College voted, and then Congress was obligated to fulfill its role in turn without disenfranchising the American people. For that reason, I voted to certify the will of the states as presented and uphold my constitutional duty as a United States Senator.
    With that said, the election systems and procedures many states have implemented have caused people to question the integrity of the ballot and our electoral system as a whole. With these concerns in mind, I see value in establishing a bipartisan Election Integrity Committee charged with reviewing the 2020 election and making recommendations to state legislatures to improve the security, integrity, and administration of federal elections. That is why I joined several of my colleagues in introducing legislation that would create such a committee, with the ultimate goal of restoring Americans’ confidence in the integrity of our political systems.
    I believe it is essential that Hoosiers – and all Americans – have full confidence in the integrity of our election system, and we must ensure appropriate safeguards are in place at the state and local level to restore voters’ trust.
    Again, thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to represent you in the United States Senate.

Sincerely,
    Todd Young
    United States Senator
    iqtrk.gif

Top Bottom