Indiana senate passes revised school parking lot gun bill!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by MikeDVB
    Didn't think so - so getting out and putting it in the trunk would be a no-go unless you did it before getting on-property.
    Correct.

After reading http://iga.in.gov/static-documents/2...OMH.CCH001.pdf, I don't see a provision stating that a person would violate the law by exposing the firearm while securing it. What are you going to do stop along the road, put it in the trunk, then procede to the school?

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    From my email inbox. Update from Sen. Jim Arnold (D) and voted yea:
    Guns on school property
    Controversial legislation gained approval that will now allow individuals who legally possess a firearm to keep it in a motor vehicle parked in a school parking lot as long as the firearm is locked in the vehicle out of plain sight. Under current law, it is a felony to possess a firearm on school property. However, with the passage of SEA 229, this penalty is eliminated as long as the firearm is locked in the trunk, glove box or out of plain sight in the vehicle. If persons in legal possession of a firearm leave the firearm in plain view in the vehicle while on school property, they would be charged with a Class A misdemeanor.
    In addition, SB 229 allows law enforcement agencies to sell confiscated firearms to the general public at auction. Only individuals who are lawfully allowed to own firearms could make purchases. Proceeds from these sales would be used by the agency for the purchase or maintenance of firearms, ammunition, protective vests, and other law enforcement equipment. Another provision provides that a firearm scheduled to be destroyed be sold to a salvage company where it can be dismantled for parts, scrap metal, recycling, or for resale as parts for other firearms.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by MikeDVB
    Didn't think so - so getting out and putting it in the trunk would be a no-go unless you did it before getting on-property.
    Correct.

After reading http://iga.in.gov/static-documents/2...OMH.CCH001.pdf, I don't see a provision stating that a person would violate the law by exposing the firearm while securing it. What are you going to do stop along the road, put it in the trunk, then procede to the school?

Exposing the firearm isn't the issue. If you get out of the car while you're holding it (say, to put it in the trunk) then you're carrying on school property for the three feet you walk to the read of the vehicle. While you're inside the car, you're still on your own property.

pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government
    Exposing the firearm isn't the issue. If you get out of the car while you're holding it (say, to put it in the trunk) then you're carrying on school property for the three feet you walk to the read of the vehicle. While you're inside the car, you're still on your own property.

So, you're saying that by placing the gun in your trunk, they can nail you for carrying on school property? That makes no sense, how are you going to lock up your weapon? -- I need a little more clarification on this.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    So, you're saying that by placing the gun in your trunk, they can nail you for carrying on school property? That makes no sense, how are you going to lock up your weapon? -- I need a little more clarification on this.

Yes, it makes no sense, but that is how it goes.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Glove box, under-seat safe, in console, several methods come to mind. Legally, just putting it on the passenger seat with a jacket or a book concealing it completely from view is enough to comply with the law. I think the "locked in the trunk" provision is if you have your shotgun in there from a hunting trip, you're OK, or if you have a way to put it in the trunk by flipping down the back seat... But no, exiting the car with it is, from my read, out of the question.

This actually raises another question:

You lock your gun in the car, concealed, etc.... and exit. For the couple of seconds until the door is again locked, you're committing a felony act, and if you unlock the doors, likewise.

The only way around this I see would be something like In Car Gun Lockers

LongHinge1911.jpg

which provides another level of "locked" in the car when you open the door.

Or is there a common-sense action inherent in the law that would allow for expected use.

Anyone?

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I don't know why, but few things bug me more than those who play the "mother" card. "Mothers Against Drunk Drivers", "Moms Demand Action", "Million Mom March", "As a mother, I think..."

Being a parent does not give you any special insight into social problems. Most of us are parents and are, frankly, effing idiots. Being a mom doesn't make you special and when you attempt to gain political points with me by offering it up as a credential, I automatically write you off as someone who will not argue your case with facts but will just use emotional pleas. In other words, when you say "As a (insert credential), I think..." then your opinion is not worth my consideration.

Do you feel the same way about Mothers Against Gun Control?

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I think we should enjoy our victory...let this set for a bit with the anti's...then we can come back and make it even better. For now, though, can we just enjoy the victory and not shoot holes in the law before its even signed?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

How does it make no sense? As already noted, you can still lock your gun in your car. The bill doesn't specify that you have to put it in the trunk. If they tried to write the law so that you could carry it to the trunk to lock it up, it would have to be so needlessly complicated to cover all of the specifics that it almost certainly wouldn't have passed. For example:

How long do you have to get from your door to the trunk? Five seconds? Ten minutes?
    What happens if I walk to the end of the parking lot and then back to my trunk?
    What happens if I get out of my car and pause to tuck in my shirt before proceeding to the trunk?
    What happens if I get out of my car and pause to have a conversation with another parent before proceeding to the trunk?
    What happens if I walk to the next car over and put it in their trunk instead?

You would spend paragraphs defining the particulars. Is this bill ideal? Not by a long shot, but I will take it because that's what we were able to get passed.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Do you feel the same way about Mothers Against Gun Control?

Yes. I'm not sure why their particular political position would be relevant. They're still forcing a pointless qualification down your throat as part of their argument. It's a poor substitute for facts and effective debate.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Holy crap! Even Niezgodski from South Bend voted for it.:n00b: Bet that'll **** off little Mayor Petey.:laugh:

I shall send him an atta-boy. Just like training a dog, positive reinforcement.;)

Would it be appropriate to go to the Mother's In Search of Action Facebook page and begin gloating now, or is waiting until after it's signed a classier move?

I wouldn't gloat. Just poke holes in their arguments, which isn't hard to do. I avoid their facebook page...lots of name calling and childish tactics.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I hope these people realize that if someone "snaps", as they say, laws will be worthless in protecting their children. I would bet there are guns on the property of Indiana Public Schools as I write this, law or no law.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I hope these people realize that if someone "snaps", as they say, laws will be worthless in protecting their children. I would bet there are guns on the property of Indiana Public Schools as I write this, law or no law.

Did you watch the proceedings yesterday? One representative argued that SB229 should not be passed because, even though it is currently a felony, you're cool as long as you don't get caught. He then went on to argue that the bill addresses "a completely imaginary problem that has never actually happened" and then went on to illustrate why it would be bad by describing....a completely imaginary scenario that has never actually happened.

Logic is not usually their strong point.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    House: Indiana General Assembly - 2014 Session

Senate: Indiana General Assembly - 2014 Session

Senators against: Breaux, Broden, Lanane, Randolph (one of the co-authors!), Rogers, Skinner, Stoops, Tallian, Taylor, Wyss

Reps against: Austin, Bartlett, Battles, Bauer, Brown (C), Candelaria Reardon, Delaney, Errington, Forestal, GiaQuinta, Hale, Harris, Kersey, Lawson, Moseley, Pierce, Porter, Pryor, Riecken, Shackelford, Smith(V), Summers, Vanderbaugh, Ziemke

Someone else can fetch their emails!

Blessings,
    Bill
    Hey Fort Wayne'ers! It's time Capt. NannyState gets kicked out of office. This guy has been king of liberty infringing Rep. as long as I can remember.

Oh, wait, he's retiring. State Sen. Tom Wyss won't seek re-election - News-Sentinel.com

From the article:
    Wyss has also co-authored legislation to prohibit texting while driving and authored a law to require everyone in Indiana to wear a seat belt. In 2001, after an 11-year battle, he helped pass the law establishing .08 as the legal limit.

Top Bottom