Indiana Right to Hunt and Fish, Public Question 1 (2016)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah, they do tend to muddle the language on those sometimes. I can usually figure out how I want to vote on them but as for the judges, I have no idea.

OT: sometimes putting signs in your yard can have the opposite affect. For example if every day for the past couple of months you drive by the same yard filled with Democrat signs, and that yard also has school board candidates and judges, you kinda remember those names when it's time to vote. Sometimes, it's not as much about who to vote for, but who to vote against.

Here's the language of what appears on the ballot (for reference).

So the intent being, if you want to forever prevent PETA types from passing silly laws against hunting, vote 'yes'. I'm still not confident that this will actually do that. I may try some google-fu to find the specific wording for the change to the state constitution.

ETA: Not that it matters. I already voted 'yes'.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    OT: sometimes putting signs in your yard can have the opposite affect. For example if every day for the past couple of months you drive by the same yard filled with Democrat signs, and that yard also has school board candidates and judges, you kinda remember those names when it's time to vote. Sometimes, it's not as much about who to vote for, but who to vote against.

So the intent being, if you want to forever prevent PETA types from passing silly laws against hunting, vote 'yes'. I'm still not confident that this will actually do that. I may try some google-fu to find the specific wording for the change to the state constitution.

ETA: Not that it matters. I already voted 'yes'.

I haven't dug into it but 19 other states have passed similar laws. I'm betting the language (or effect) is similar in all of them.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    The libertarians are saying "vote no." Because not needed.

Sorry for the delay, I finally found the article I was thinking of. Food for thought:

Hoosiers: There Is a Constitutional Vote on your Ballot - Right to Hunt and Fish
    "The Bill of Rights contains no other section requiring any other right be subject to the laws of the General Assembly or other authorities of the General Assembly. When did a right become alterable by the government?

This is not a constitutional amendment. If Hoosiers grant the General Assembly and their authority agencies the power to change terms of a constitutional document they are violating the Constitution itself."

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    They lost me at "subject only to the laws prescribed by the General Assembly and rules prescribed by virtue of the authority of the General Assembly to:"

If I read this right, its basically "you have a right to hunt and fish until the GA writes a law telling you that you dont.". (or passes silly restrictive laws that make it not worth the hassle)

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    A friend of mine posted about this proposed amendment and how it would open the door for hunting stray cats. I also heard on the radio the other night about the argument that this will allow hunting in downtown Indy.

Jason

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    A friend of mine posted about this proposed amendment and how it would open the door for hunting stray cats. I also heard on the radio the other night about the argument that this will allow hunting in downtown Indy.

Jason

I agree with what others have said. "its a solution looking for a problem"

I'm torn. We dont need more laws. But I also hate animal rights nutcases who are calling desperately to stop it because of silly reasons like this. (Putting my fingers in the eyes of wackjobs is a hobby of mine. Its probably the most fulfilling one.) One on Abdul's show the other night eluded to people starting to hunt songbirds if this passes. :facepalm:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Maybe they should pass a law saying the constitution carries the weight of law. That would fix everything.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You guys are acting like there is a Constitutional right to hunt and fish now.

As it stands now, the General Assembly can pass laws limiting or eliminating hunting and fishing for any reason or no reason at all. This applies to any regulations made by the DNR as well.

this amendment would limit any laws to those having a genuine wildlife management or conservation purpose or to preserve the future of hunting and fishing.

Laws simply made to curtail hunting and fishing would be unconstitutional....which they are not now.

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

As it stands now, the General Assembly can pass laws limiting or eliminating hunting and fishing for any reason or no reason at all. This applies to any regulations made by the DNR as well.

this amendment would limit any laws to those having a genuine wildlife management or conservation purpose or to preserve the future of hunting and fishing.

Laws simply made to curtail hunting and fishing would be unconstitutional....which they are not now.

This is how I took it. Its a law to limit the ability to make more laws. I voted yes because the NRA said to and this reasoning.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

This is a good way to look at it.

Anybody know if the language of the IN Amendment is more or less the same as that of the other states that have previously enacted similar changes to their constitutions?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

That right there pretty much sums up the issue with the leftist wackos. They know if this passes the door is shut on them ever succeeding in restricting hunting, no matter how miniscule the chance is today.

Thanks for the analysis sir.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Algae eater here.....And I'll vote for this.

1) People have a right to hunt and fish. Absolutely, this is a God given right to provide sustenance for yourself and family.
    2) If I'm going to eat meat, I'd prefer to hunt it myself, or it to be raised outside of the big farm industry by a local small farmer.

I expect anyone that votes no on this to become an algae eating vegan immediately.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    They are trying to declare it a right, to stop possible anti hunter legal maneuvers (like the antis have done out east).

Wonder what all has been tried in New Jersey, the anti bear hunters are all bent.
    Bear and cougar............east and west........the weirdos have had some success.

They're nuts. They aint stupid.

Top Bottom