• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Always make sure you have the correct ________________ !!

[IMGA]
    2hzn2gy.jpg
    [/IMG]

Your welcome, Pappy

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    That weapon looks like something you'd see on the road runner and coyote show. Good stuff. I'd say someone is lucky to only loose a few fingers.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Feb 18, 2009
    The rifle in the article looks like a Knight which is a high quality muzzleloader made of high quality steel. I think he must have really overloaded it to explode like that.

midget

Master
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I am familiar with that story. It was a savage also. The overwhelming opinion is that the guy didn't want to own up to either using the incorrect powder or the wrong charge.

M67

Grandmaster
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    that looks like a double charge.. the 10ML uses the same action & barrel as savage rifles that fire smokeless cartridges.

Hard saying, hell maybe a triple charge, could have been handgun powder too. I've seen a couple Savages that had been shot when a load was put on another load, you could barely even see the barrel swell. Seen more of a bulge when a bullet wasn't seated all the way down. That's still a hell of a kaboom

The rifle in the article looks like a Knight which is a high quality muzzleloader made of high quality steel. I think he must have really overloaded it to explode like that.

It's a Knight....but they're still not strong enough to handle smokeless powder.

It's a guessing game when you put smokeless in a muzzleloader. It could fire 100 shots without issue, or it could blow first time. In the end though, they'll blow

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    First let me say that I do NOT recommend anyone doing this.>>> Several years ago I did some testing with smokeless powder in an in line M/L. For what it is worth, I have shot smokeless stuff firearms for 35+ years and black powder guns for 30+. Here was my hypothesis: The big name in line that I used was a .50 caliber and had a manufacturer stated maximum charge of 150 grains. ( started with a NIB gun that had never been subjected to black powder residue). My common sense told me that their barrels were likely proofed with a double charge, as this would be one of the more common mistakes that a knuckle head might make.
    I studied all the information and loading data that I could dig up on the Savage smokeless M/L. I settled on Lil Gun powder and started with a charge in the low 30's. Ended up settling in at 42.5 grains. With 250 grain bullets, I was achieving MOA groups at 300 yards. I'd have to dig out all my data but iirc, MV was in the 2200-2400 fps range. After extensive testing, I had the barrel tested with magnetic particle inspection (magnafluxed) and x-rayed. No issues found.
    Again, I am NOT encouraging, condoning, advocating or recommending this. Just passing along my results for information purposes.
    I have also had schooling /training in metallurgy and destructive weld analysis, for what it's worth.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    Why try rifle or pistol smokeless powders when Blackhorn 209 is available? It's a nitrocellulose powder specifically made for muzzle loaders and can be volumetrically measured.

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    Why try different guns, calibers, reloading formulas? Why try to achieve sub MOA accuracy? Why hunt?

djsmith1000

Plinker
    Dec 5, 2014
    United States
    I've tried blackhorn 209 with several different charges. Still makes a mess in your barrel and a lot of smoke. Ended up switching back to 777 pellets for convenience.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    Why try different guns, calibers, reloading formulas? Why try to achieve sub MOA accuracy? Why hunt?
    Sorry, that wasn't directed at your post; it just followed it. I was talking about the OP presumably using smokeless powder.
    I've tried blackhorn 209 with several different charges. Still makes a mess in your barrel and a lot of smoke. Ended up switching back to 777 pellets for convenience.
    That has not been my experience at all. Sure there's more smoke than a cartridge rifle, but I think a lot of the increase can be explained by simply using 100gr of the BH209 vs 4 or 5 grain of a double nitro powder from Alliant (for example). In any case, it's way less than BP.

To each his own, of course.

djsmith1000

Plinker
    Dec 5, 2014
    United States
    That has not been my experience at all. Sure there's more smoke than a cartridge rifle, but I think a lot of the increase can be explained by simply using 100gr of the BH209 vs 4 or 5 grain of a double nitro powder from Alliant (for example). In any case, it's way less than BP.

To each his own, of course.

Agreed. It is significantly less than BP and seem foul the barrel less. I did enjoy that. But I didn't enjoy measuring out powder, and it still was enough smoke and fouling that it didn't solve the problem. I definitely see why people use it. Someday I may switch back, as I don't enjoy how much fouling the pellets leave.

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    Can't wait for "regular rifles" to pass for deer season.
    The stupidity will just fade away.....................

I can't wait for them to do away with all the silly "seasons". There should be only two. Early bow from the middle of September until November 1 then any legal weapon/tool from November 1 until Jan. 1. We are bag limited so why does the state care what tool a person chooses to reach that bag limit.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Feb 12, 2012
    The Star article was nearly useless in actually providing any real information as to how he managed to do this. But I can tell you that it would be easy if your hunting or shooting with someone who was using quickloaders that looked like yours and he was shooting a smokeless gun.

Been there and darn near did it, in the same exact gun as that guy was using, a Knight BK92.

However I looked at the powder as I poured it down the barrel and noticed immediately that it looked different.

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    Biggen, Great attention to detail to catch the powder mix up. Could have been you in the story.
    I don't mind being lucky over good, sometimes. :)

Top Bottom