• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Wow! Hope he recovers okay, given the severity of the injury.

10461955_1510799485862628_1942503602171680627_n.jpg

rosejm

Master
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    <shrug> Powder's powder, ain't it?

Another Honorable Mention for the Darwin Awards.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Holy WOW. I'm not a muzzle loader guy, in fact I don't know much about them at all but I didn't know they would kaboom with smokeless powder.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Holy WOW. I'm not a muzzle loader guy, in fact I don't know much about them at all but I didn't know they would kaboom with smokeless powder.

Some (well, one that I know of that is no longer in production)​ muzzleloaders can use smokeless powder, but only the right powder in the right charges. Start loading 50 to 70 (or even 100 or 150) grains of the wrong stuff- this is mild.

In A Savage 10ML, a typical black powder or equivalent load may be 100 to 120 grains while the smokeless loads did not exceed 45 grains...see the possible problem here?

Last edited:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Even if HPRs passes it still doesn't allow its use during M/L season, so there will still be yahoos doing stupid things with M/L trying to achieve modern rifle ballistics.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Even if HPRs passes it still doesn't allow its use during M/L season, so there will still be yahoos doing stupid things with M/L trying to achieve modern rifle ballistics.

Uh, maybe they'll buck out with their Mosins and be done so they don't have to play with the dangerous MLs anymore ;)

calcot7

Master
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Kind of makes you wonder just how many times he probably shot it while working up a load before it exploded in his face. Or could this have been a one time experiment / accident?

87iroc

Master
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Sounds like it was an accident.

Actually, I take that back. The posts here are assuming it was an accident. If the DNR is posting that...I think that the guy may have tried to shoot a deer with it.

throttletony

Master
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Can't wait for "regular rifles" to pass for deer season.
    The stupidity will just fade away.....................

I wish I could agree with you... I think that stupidity is here to stay -- no purple needed here
    Even when regular rifles pass, there will still be separate categories (muzzle loader/black powder being one of them, right? Just like archery, or pistol, etc.) So it's just a matter of time until something similar happens again

Either way, bad accident and it could have been worse.

midget

Master
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    There are still several smokeless muzzleloaders on the market. The issue with most of them is that the person either forgets to use weight and not volume, way over does the charge (again going off of old BP numbers), doesn't seat the bullet/sabot to the proper depth, or just plain uses the wrong powder.

I personally am hoping to save enough pennies to buy a second hand savage smokeless, but they are getting more difficult to find and more expensive...

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    There are still several smokeless muzzleloaders on the market. The issue with most of them is that the person either forgets to use weight and not volume, way over does the charge (again going off of old BP numbers), doesn't seat the bullet/sabot to the proper depth, or just plain uses the wrong powder.

I personally am hoping to save enough pennies to buy a second hand savage smokeless, but they are getting more difficult to find and more expensive...

You can build one yourself; the most popular platform to do so is the old Remington muzzleloaders but I did mine on a Savage short action.

Regarding the comment that smokeless guns don't go over 45gr, my hunting load is 70gr...and that is conservative compared to some loads shot by those with more experience caring more about velocity. In a Savage smokeless the most common result of a double charge is a bulged (not blown) barrel and a very sore shoulder.

Clearly, most BP guns are not built to the standards of a smokeless-ready gun. My barrel is a tank...

Someone dumb enough to blow up a smokeless ML had better stick to store-bought ammo because they would likely do the same thing to themselves on the reloading bench.

Top Bottom