Indiana at risk of losing its industrial dominance if it doesn’t decarbonize, report says

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    We have completely abandoned competence and reality as the method of picking who or what to promote and replaced them with ideological concerns. The consequences are completely predictable and will be catastrophic in the long run.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Zero carbon foot print,

You will have fun trying to get the trees in my yard to comply. Every year they shed all their leaves and deposit 30 to 40 extra large bags of carbon emitting dead hydrocarbons on the lawn, which also has a high percentage of carbon emitting dead grass. I am sure the government will come up with a way to fine the property owners for the pollution.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Zero carbon foot print,

You will have fun trying to get the trees in my yard to comply. Every year they shed all their leaves and deposit 30 to 40 extra large bags of carbon emitting dead hydrocarbons on the lawn, which also has a high percentage of carbon emitting dead grass. I am sure the government will come up with a way to fine the property owners for the pollution.
    I have 50 acres of dense woods.
    If you're correct, I'm screwed!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    At the end of the day leadership will spend a vast fortune to drive the bulk of our population into poverty.

Qui bono?

Reactions: Leo

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    "American Council for Energy-Efficiency Economy and Citizens Action Coalition"

That sounds in absolutely no way objective or unbaised.

Indiana ranks #12 in the country for wind generation, and our climate (not weather, climate), especially in the northern 2/3 of the state, simply is not optimal or economically suited for utility-scale solar generation. Even on sunny/windy days, excess wind/solar generation is largely wasted because utility-scale power storage simply isn't technologically/economically feasible at this time.

Nuclear is the way to go as a bridge to more efficient renewables and storage.

Flash-hider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    The people pushing this stuff don't actually know how things work.
    And..
    They don't care.

They just believe that things should just operate, the way they want.
    It's like people that never grew up. They are stuck in 'neverland'.
    I think they know exactly how things work and they do care, care about being the overlords to the rest of us. They know if they tie a few billion or trillion dollars on the end of a string and pull it thru the State capital there will be more than enough State officials who will gladly bite down on the hook.
    It would be refreshing if there were individuals running for state office who would completely reject the money handouts, reject everything regarding this climate change crap, and would say (in the case of Indiana) fossil fuels built this State and will continue to build this State period.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    When they get China to eliminate the 30% of global CO2 they pump into the atmosphere, then come talk to me about Indiana.
    Agreed, but China isn't Indiana's biggest competitor - it's South Carolina, Georgia, Texas, Wisconsin, Colorado, Ohio ... (not Illinois or California, or ...)

So if businesses want "green", then offer a green state.

I'm a free market guy, classical 80's era conservative, so I'm all in favor of a free market, and if that free market wants to be green (which is it seems they do), then if you want to attract them to our state, you'd better be green to.

Now, the alternate view is that a lot of this green carbon neutral is just bull****. Carbon offsets is a tantamount to a ponzee (sp?) scheme, and it's really hard to actually evaluate if "going green" is really green - you have to look at to whole chain of what it entails.

If we as a society want to reduce CO2 emissins, then we need to look at nuclear power.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Zero carbon foot print,

Don't you compost that? That's black gold, right there. Unless you burn it the carbon is trapped.

As to grass, lush, green lawns are terrible from an ecological standpoint - so much fertilizer and so much mowing...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think they know exactly how things work and they do care, care about being the overlords to the rest of us. They know if they tie a few billion or trillion dollars on the end of a string and pull it thru the State capital there will be more than enough State officials who will gladly bite down on the hook.
    It would be refreshing if there were individuals running for state office who would completely reject the money handouts, reject everything regarding this climate change crap, and would say (in the case of Indiana) fossil fuels built this State and will continue to build this State period.
    I mean if we're doing the overlords shtick, then wasn't it the overlords that told us to give up farm land in favor of manufacturing?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have been taught that all plant life gives off the same amount of hydrocarbons if it slowly rots or is burned. It is simply the time element.

I am not a typical suburban lawn owner. I don't soak my land with cancer causing chemicals 5 times a year like my neighbors. I mow every week. It looks fine driving by. If someone does not like my lawn, they are not welcome on my property.

We eat the dandelion greens. I am told you can bread and deep fry the yellow flowers. We have several raised beds for vegetables. I have eaten Jalapeno poppers at least a dozen times so far. Tomatoes and Zucchini are full, pickles look good too. We grow peppers and spices in containers.

The Mrs is a certified Master gardener, I all I know about it is that I wrote a lot of checks to Purdue and she has a lot of books. She buys aged manure from some cattle place that has turned into black dust. No smell at all. All I contribute is shovel and wheelbarrow work.

Every time she shows me another basket of produce the city boy in me says "I am sure that you can buy those at the grocery store already canned and everything"

Last edited:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    My yard maintenance:
    1.) if its green, cut it.
    2.) if its tall and green need to cut it sooner.
    3.) if it's brown, don't cut it.

No watering, no fertilizing. Some of the grass in the yard is from the original homestead in the late 1890's.

Top Bottom