• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Without getting into a sob story or anything silly - I need a career path. I'm going nowhere as is and this is all unsustainable for me.

I have no college degree and honestly outside of restaurants very little experience. My family had a few restaurants my whole life until the 08 recession categorically destroyed their lives and businesses. It wasn't the end but covid was the final nail in the coffin.

Since then I've been doing BS jobs and doing things like doordash and uber at night. My partner of 10 years makes great money but I'd really like to find something that I could do alone and so we could start a family with her staying home.

Doing basically the same garbage tier jobs a high schooler could do isn't the way to do that.

My dad never taught me much outside of the business, but anything I've ever tried to pick up or learn I did VERY fast. I'm not stupid, but I just need someone to show me how to do things and answer questions, after that I've always picked whatever it was up fast.

What options are even really out there for me without going to some kind of school? If schools the only way then so be it. I just can't keep doing this. It's soul crushing. Doing nothing is the worst.

All I'm doing is racking up insane miles on a car for near minimum wage after expenses and depreciation are considered. Completely unsustainable and blatantly stupid.

Long hours or no days off are a non-issue for me. I'll just have to get a way sorted for her getting to work which won't be a huge issue. I worked 6 years without a day off besides Christmas. 2 of which were 7am to 10pm. And when you work for family you don't get to call off so I don't even think I'd be able to find a way to call off for someone at this point after never even considering it.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I have a opening for a driver (our sprinter van) its 8-5 M-F 1or 2 days a week you will make a run to Eastern Illinois or Grand Rapids Michigan or be local just depends on the work load delivering supplies to Sign Shops.
    If you can pass a drug screen have a good driving record and $17 a hour to start works for you along with very affordable Health care and PTO PM me.
    Its a entry level job that after a few years can turn into a higher paid manager type thing.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I know you said 'no school', but go to Ivy Tech, get a nursing degree, make real money and be in demand. Automation isn't going to replace you, it's mentally challenging but not going to tear your body up, and you can travel anywhere and find a job in your field.

If you absolutely can't do any school, trades. My son is at $23/hr + company car at 18 doing low voltage stuff. Plenty of places will train you in electrical, hvac, etc.

Talkinghalls

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2020
    NW Indiana
    Law enforcement is a great idea. Most do not require college, and will train you (via the academy). I would not recommend starting out in the Corrections side of LE unless you have no other choice.

The other option (I know you said no school but hear me out) is school. I had ten years experience in Corrections/Private armed security, and needed a new path. I had no college under my belt and was by no means a “Go Getter” in high school. I started taking some IT classes at Ivy Tech and got my associate in about three years.
    Gravy train ever since. I’m going to Purdue now for my BA while working in the IT/HR field. And an added perk, I’ve had to wrestle ZERO naked meth heads since starting a new career in IT!

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    +1 for the trades.
    A skill you use at work and can take it home with you on the side.

Our company, depending on the trade will put you through school and or on the job training eventually leading to you having a take home van/truck with gas card.

Of course you can't tote your family around or personal errands.

We have hvac service and install, electricians and plumbing install or service.

Also have the dig crew for plumbers and in house company for removing building materials such as a floor from a leaking water heater.

We hire with no experience or schooling. If you can do the work/time you'll be set.

Full disclosure, there are slow times and hours can be short. Its personally kicking my ass to the very most extremes right now. *ok its mostly my fault and ymmv.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    It’s a long term investment l but it’s an investment in your future. Look into trades, union specifically. Start out as a trainee or helper making decent money and go through the apprenticeship and end up making much better money. I’m a plumber/pipe fitter and really enjoy it. It’s a pretty mechanically minded trade so if you’re not into that, look into carpentry, Sheetmetal or electrician. I’d say electrical and Sheetmetal is easier on your body, but it’s all tough over the years. I work on a Maintinence crew at a hospital and I bet I make more money than 90% of the hospital employees.

Different trades have different styles of apprenticeships. Our is a five year deal and you do classes two nights a week and some Saturday’s. Some trades do a week a quarter or something like that. But you are learning on the job and making better than McDonalds money and get a pretty solid raise every year. We have good health insurance and pretty good retirement with opportunities to invest more for your future. It’s not for everyone, but it is something that can’t be outsourced!

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Should have joined the military long ago.
    Not much $$ but free college, medical,food,shelter and life direction.

Looks like you need to find a factory job and get to work. Then decide what you want to do after, you get some real checks rolling in.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Trades, if you like working with your hands.

If not, I suggest looking into Information Security. It's a growing field and I believe it will continue to be into the future. Most, but not all, employers will want you to have a degree, so that might make it harder to break into the field, but you could get lucky. If you would rather work at a desk and have the possibility to work from home either all the time or a couple days a week, this is a good option. ISC2.org has some great resources for someone wanting to get into Information/Cyber Security: https://www.isc2.org/candidate. Some good resources there and they are the final word in Info/CyberSec certification. Also plenty of videos on YouTube that can provide solid information on providing knowledge and understanding the various options in the field. If you're analytical at all, it could be a good fit. Almost all positions offer solid salaries and good job growth, so it's a good option if you think you might enjoy the field.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I will add to the IT path as well.
    If you are a thinker more so than working with your hands then IT would be a great option.

I've done both. I'd rather be outside looking in and not suck in an office. But that's me and I am not knocking the job at all.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I don’t know how it is in your area, but here in the south central part of the state, there are 3 fire departments that I know of Jeffersonville, Clarksville, and New Albany, that pay well, and have great benefits. A few guys I went to school with got on the Clarksville fire department, and they all retired in their 50s.

It’s what I would do if I could do it over again.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Look for a factory with lots of CNC machines and automation, get your foot in the door anyway you can and see if they will teach you set up procedures and possibly programming. Automation is the future in manufacturing might as well join it.

I jumped in with both feet in high school and by my sophomore year I was already programming CNC mills and lathes the old fashioned way. When I graduated I could use pretty much any CAD/CAM software on the market, got a great job as a programmer my sophomore year in college that turned into a plant manager position.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Wow thanks so many replies so fast guys.

Let me address some things

First poster - I appreciate you more than anything for just offering me that outright but I'm really trying to stay away from driving at all costs at this point. We lived in Whitestown and had a restaurant in Columbus, IN and I had to go with every single day growing up and after I was old enough to drive I had to work after school - 75mi each way. After HS I drove 7 days a week 75 each way and at the moment because of the Mrs' grandparents health + her not driving + my "work" I currently never really leave Indy + surrounding areas but I manage to drive on average 180-230 miles a DAY.

I'm TIRED of driving and so is my back and knees. I don't want to kill these parts of my body any more. I had a couple really bad injuries competing in kickboxing and MMA in my teens-20s and am lucky to have my right knee, left foot, and be able to manage a couple hours of sleep as is with my completely crooked spine.

*physical labor I don't mind and don't see it bothering me unless I'd be doing something where I'd have to be hunched over or sitting for long periods*

The LEO route - I honestly dreamed about that from 18-23. Back then Obama was still in his first term so the Leo reputation hadn't been completely bashed to shreds and I applied to IMPD + ISP *every* single go around because they stated back then that if you missed a single employment opportunity posted you wouldn't be considered in future rounds. I'm not sure if they've lifted this rule but I'm beyond open to this option at this point I'd actually be more thrilled than 10 years ago.

Military - another thing I absolutely should not have put off or listened to everyone about. This was absolutely *my* fault. I was ready to GO. But then I thought I was going to get married at 19 and moved to FL with a hot redhead and every penny I saved working from 9 years old on weekends to 19. And lost everything in 6 months down there. Came back completely depressed and put it off until 4 years later and at the last minute another redhead (with the same name) lured me away. I'm honestly really thinking about this option too but think I'd have to go the officer route and go to college first to make the pay seem anywhere worth going. I understand the point of the services is NOT money but I'm not an 18 year old kid with no financial obligations, money does matter to me in the very immediate future.

Trades?

This is the most obvious choice. I was really hoping for advice on this. Anything. Absolutely anything working with my hands I'm open to. I know there's incredible opportunities in these fields all around but have no clue which way is best to go about this, even based on what's been posted here now.

Is there no best way? Trade school programs versus apprenticeship versus just getting a foot in the door doing anything at all and trying to coerce them into training me?

As far as an aptitude test or what I "want" to do. I just don't want to work in a restaurant again or drive. I don't see any normal job as being fulfilling enough to make me happy in life. That's why I really wanted to go to the service years ago or LEO - those are the only things that ever sounded appealing in any real way.

The only other thing that will make me happy is to be secure enough to have my own children finally. I just want to be a family guy and will do anything to get that going. Times ticking and if I don't have kids I don't see the point in any of this.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    Your former experience may help with more ‘white-collar’ food-related jobs, such as supply chain or a distribution factory or so. Have you explored any of the fields which supported your family’s business? There may even be some connections that can help you get into one of those places. Education is nice but nothing beats the good ole boy club - it’s all about who you know.

otherwise being in Indy I’d look at USPS, Indiana State Gov jobs, or so.

Top Bottom