• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Without getting into a sob story or anything silly - I need a career path. I'm going nowhere as is and this is all unsustainable for me.

I have no college degree and honestly outside of restaurants very little experience. My family had a few restaurants my whole life until the 08 recession categorically destroyed their lives and businesses. It wasn't the end but covid was the final nail in the coffin.

Since then I've been doing BS jobs and doing things like doordash and uber at night. My partner of 10 years makes great money but I'd really like to find something that I could do alone and so we could start a family with her staying home.

Doing basically the same garbage tier jobs a high schooler could do isn't the way to do that.

My dad never taught me much outside of the business, but anything I've ever tried to pick up or learn I did VERY fast. I'm not stupid, but I just need someone to show me how to do things and answer questions, after that I've always picked whatever it was up fast.

What options are even really out there for me without going to some kind of school? If schools the only way then so be it. I just can't keep doing this. It's soul crushing. Doing nothing is the worst.

All I'm doing is racking up insane miles on a car for near minimum wage after expenses and depreciation are considered. Completely unsustainable and blatantly stupid.

Long hours or no days off are a non-issue for me. I'll just have to get a way sorted for her getting to work which won't be a huge issue. I worked 6 years without a day off besides Christmas. 2 of which were 7am to 10pm. And when you work for family you don't get to call off so I don't even think I'd be able to find a way to call off for someone at this point after never even considering it.
    Been there done that!

I finally got in the car business as a buyer. Started with local dealers and got paid per car. Cut my teeth at the auctions learning from every dealer and or mechanic I could. It wasn't easy but I enjoyed the whole process. Fast forward about 8 years I make 2 1/2 times what I did at a "good job" according to a lot of people @ Honda manuf being an unappreciated robot, performing mind numbing repetitive tasks. I also work about 1/3 of the hours.
    Hours for $$'s is not always the best mentality. Get paid in your performance and skill.

I can tell you this, if you can become a good mechanic or body man, used car dealers will keep you as busy as you want to be. You could also learn Paintless Dent Removal.

Electrician or plumber was likely mentioned and I would also add welding. You just have to figure out what you would enjoy and then the process isn't painful, it's productive learning. I've always taught younger people in youth group at church, DON'T JUST WORK TO EARN, WORK TO LEARN.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom