• ...and so much more!
  • lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Next trivia question:
    How does one get a sporting use exemption for a caliber that would otherwise be classified as a destructive device?
    18 U.S.C. 921

• (4) The term "destructive device" means—
      • (A) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas—
        • (i) bomb,
        • (ii) grenade,
        • (iii) rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces,
        • (iv) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce,
        • (v) mine, or
        • (vi) device similar to any of the devices described in the preceding clauses;
      • (B) any type of weapon (other than a shotgun or a shotgun shell which the Attorney General finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes) by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, and which has any barrel with a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter; and
      • (C) any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into any destructive device described in subparagraph (A) or (B) and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled.
    The term "destructive device" shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 4684 (2), 4685, or 4686 of title 10; or any other device which the Attorney General finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, is an antique, or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting, recreational or cultural purposes.

Write the Attorney General with the intended use.

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    Ahh, I've got one...

What's the difference(s) between the .22, .222, .223?

Well this is a broad topic here! Are you refering to bullet diameter designation, specific caliber, or what?

These are all referances to bullet diameter of 22cal bullets.

.222 and .223 could be the wonderful Remington cartridges the .223 being the civilian round modeled after the military's 5.56x45mm and the .222 being one of the most prominant of BenchRest calibers from years past.

In your refernce to .22, are you speaking of rimfire? And if so, s/l/lr or mag, because generally the 22mag is slightly larger in diameter.

I just tried to answer a couple items to a very broad question!;):dunno:

And a few questions of my own.
    What was the original bore diameter of the early 22 Hornets?

And what are the full Metric names for the cartridges 7.62Russian and 7.62Soviet?

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    thanks.
    Not likely to happen again until there's someone other than a democrat in the white house. Maybe not even then.
    I wonder why S&W couldn't get that exemption for their proposed .510 S&W magnum. As far as I know, the .500 "is not likely to be used as a weapon" and the .510, I'd say, even less likely.

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    7.62 x 54(R) mm and 7.62 x 25 mm

Right on the first one, Negative on the second. Close though, that is the 7.62Nagant.;)

The 7.62Soviet is also refered to by other names such as the 7.62Warsaw Pact and the 7.62ComBloc, though I have never heard it referenced as anything but the Soviet.

Opps sorry, I meant the Tokarev instead of Nagant. Sorry, to many things going on right now.:dunno:

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    What modern five shot handgun (not a revolver) takes much longer to reload than a muzzleloader (most likely weeks)?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    HK P11? (Due to ordering a new barrel cluster/returning a cluster to the factory for reloading)

Because I'm ignant about HK's and Super Secret Special Forces stuff... and maybe everyone else is too....

HKPRO:  The HK P11

Very little is known about the HK P11. It is a special pistol that fires underwater. What is known is that it will fire five shots, but after the five shots are fired, a significant delay in reloading, even slower than a revolutionary war muzzleloader. You must send the upper unit back to the factory for reloading!

HKPRO recently acquired more detailed information about the P11. It was designed in the 1970s, and entered service in 1976. It has never been officially acknowledged by HK. It fires darts of 7.62 x 36 caliber either above or underwater. The effective range of the P11 is reported at 30 meters above water, with a report barely louder than an MP5SD. Underwater, the effective range is 10-15 meters.

The P11 is reportedly in service with German combat divers, the British SAS, and 100 units to U.S. Specops forces. It is also used by Dutch, Danish, Norwegian and Israeli combat divers.

Top Bottom