• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ....they really to be a little more responsible and just stop selling to ANYBODY who walk up to them and lays the correct amount of money.

I'm all for people setting their own standards for selling their own guns. However, I am interested in what evidence there is that guns acquired from private sellers at gun shows by people without a LTCH who could not pass a background check are used in crimes to any great extent.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If I was a felon, and wanted a firearm, I would go to the nearest gun show, look for a private seller, and buy me some guns. Has any Evansville INGOers seen the paper? 8 "felons" were arrested, with a total of 23 hand guns confiscated. I know everyone is against gun control, as am I, but something has to be done to curb this. Maybe the private sellers at gun shows should at least ask to see an LTCH. These guns were not stolen, they had to be bought at gun shows. If I ever have a booth at a gun show, be prepared to show an LTCH, or you wont buy a gun from me. That is just crazy. Responsible gun owners, should also be responsible sellers.
    They HAD to be bought at gun shows? Emphasis added.

The vast majority of legal gun owners and those that could legally own a gun but do not - are not LTCH holders. There is no legal requirement to have a permission slip to purchase a gun. Further, an LTCH at best is a snapshot in time - it was valid at the moment the research was complete and issuance was green-lighted. I can produce my LTCH, but you don't know if I am a convicted felon or not.

You're the seller, you can require what you want. You could require all buyers to wear bumblebee suits for all I care.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have no problem with background checks, just as long as everyone understands its not stopping crime. Its just making the criminals find other methods. I mean, if there were no background checks, all the local gunshops would be selling guns to people that are gonna use them for evil. I don't really like that idea.
    NICS makes it unlikely that a criminal will stop into your favorite gun shop and walk out with his new hipoint, to go pop someone, that's all. It doesn't even come close to stopping them from getting guns, it just makes them have to do it illegally, the way they do it now.

Remember, if they were to ban all guns tomorrow, and have "mr and Mrs America turn them in" they will disarm every law abiding citizen who complies, incriminate the ones who don't, and the real bad guys will still have their guns, that were illegal and untraceable to begin with.

Gun control doesn't work. Never has, never will. But politicians will not let facts and history get in the way.
    [apostrophes added]

:noway:

Do you really feel that way? You'd be fine if Congress enacts a feckless law that add $25 to cost of every transaction, eliminates FTF transfers and puts all transaction in a book? Really?

Did this statement really get ignored by everyone else?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Somewhere in this mess it was stated that UBC's would stop anyone from illegally acquiring a firearm. I'd take a more pragmatic approach and argue that it will stop and/or impede a very small percentage. But the cost of such a draconian law would be too great. Ultimately not worth the costs (inconvenience, tax payer costs, time lost, lost of liberty, etc.) As Kirk noted, the general assembly agreed with this long ago.

It was also stated that felons don't hang out at gun shows. This argument is based on an stereotype. Remember, once a felon, always a felon (well, almost). Up until 2000 Chuck Colson was a felony and I think many, many people would have trusted their kids alone with him (maybe not the atheists).

The "ask to see the LTCH" tricky is a bit kludgy. It's not hard to print one up, you can't test its validity, and a lot of people don't have one.

The "get a cop to run their name" is even lamer. First you have to get a name, then a cop, then time to ... :rolleyes:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    If I was a felon, and wanted a firearm, I would go to the nearest gun show, look for a private seller, and buy me some guns. Has any Evansville INGOers seen the paper? 8 "felons" were arrested, with a total of 23 hand guns confiscated. I know everyone is against gun control, as am I, but something has to be done to curb this. Maybe the private sellers at gun shows should at least ask to see an LTCH. These guns were not stolen, they had to be bought at gun shows. If I ever have a booth at a gun show, be prepared to show an LTCH, or you wont buy a gun from me. That is just crazy. Responsible gun owners, should also be responsible sellers.

What in the world makes you think "Gun Shows" are the likely venue for Felons to purchase firearms? In my younger years I frequented a few (ok a lot of) taverns of less than 5 star ratings. I couldn't count the number of firearms that were purchased in that venue. Remember the old adage "birds of a feather flock together"? Criminals are often known to associate with other known felons, gang members always know where to procure firearms. Many of these firearms have not been though a legal FFL in many years, either stolen from citizens, gun shops or other businesses. Some may have been procured legally or gotten though family ties, but entered the "black market" long ago.

I would wager a tidy sum that I could visit a few bars in most cities or towns, flash a bit of cash and let it be known I wanted to purchase a firearm and that within 24 hours I could have several - none of which would be purchased through an FFL and a large percentage probably previously owned by people not legal to possess firearms. I seriously doubt many felons purchase firearms at Gun Shows, I have spoke to ATF agents at some of these shows, and have no doubt there are agents at most shows looking for felon purchases. Why would any felon purchase a firearm there knowing the ATF and police are likely present, when guns are so easily available from other sources?

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    """You're the seller, you can require what you want. You could require all buyers to wear bumblebee suits for all I care."""

I think your're on to something here!!

What self-respecting felon, prefelon, bad guy, would be caught dead in a bumblebee suit! And anyone who would don one should be considered too unstable to own a gun. Win/Win

I would opt for a "Tinkerbelle" suit to weed out the honey lovers...

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I`m not pinning this on FFL`s. My statement was that "private" gun sellers at gun shows, at least need to ask to see an LTCH. There is no government agency involved in that. Felons get guns by stealing them, sure, but a big percentage of the guns are bought from "private" sellers at gun shows.

HoughMade said:
    What is the percentage of guns used in crimes that were acquired by a felon who could not pass a background check, from a private seller at a gun show? What is the source and how was the data gathered?

Surely no one would make this statement without actually having a reliable source.

I am anxiously waiting to see his answer to this as well, although I'm sure he will ignore it because he has no evidence. Please jaybird, provide us with some evidence that supports your claim.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Honestly, I have similar concerns as the original post writer. I personally choose to not sell anything at gun shows for this reason to private individuals. I have walked around gun shows and been approached dozens of times in the span of a couple hours by a several people. I told each one of them (and one of them several times) I wasn't interested. I have an important job with the DoD, I don't need the scrutiny of a firearm that leads back to me being used in the commission of a felony because I wanted to make $100 to $300 more then a dealer would have given me for it.

Well, I may have been one of the "suspected felons" that you refused to deal with! I have approached several people carrying firearms for sale at gun shows with intent to make an offer if the price was right. Oh, I do have my LTCH and FFL-03 so you probably wouldn't have had any problems later! As I have stated before (several times), I don't believe any "FELON", though I don't credit them with much intelligence, would try to purchase a firearm at a Gun show, with both Police and ATF agents know to be present at all shows! Felons have much safer venues to obtain firearms - by theft, purchasing at bars, trading dope or stolen merchandise for a gun, buying from other felons (probably at previous mentioned bars) or getting from family members.

By the way I normally won't buy from people that require me to show my LTCH, I know many people (including family members who have guns brought back from WW2), that don't have LTCH's. I refuse to help gun sellers that want to add more requirements than the current laws require. The current "gun control" laws have proven to be completely ineffective, why should we, as proponents of the 2nd amendment, add more useless regulations? READ and UNDERSTAND the current laws involved with lawful sales of firearms by individuals, once you understand your lack of liability, you may want to reconsider your requirements for selling a firearm.

Slider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Brownsburg

Really? What good does showing a LTCH do? I did a quick google search and found this........ Indiana LTCH.jpg Criminals counterfit everything....from handbags to sports tickets. Any 5 year old could probably reproduce this in about 15 minutes with photoshop and print it out on the pretty pink paper. You think if a criminal wants a gun....they can't find a way to get one........all this will do is hurt the honest law abiding citizen.....not everyone has a LTCH but still like to shoot guns.:dunno:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I`m not pinning this on FFL`s. My statement was that "private" gun sellers at gun shows, at least need to ask to see an LTCH. There is no government agency involved in that. Felons get guns by stealing them, sure, but a big percentage of the guns are bought from "private" sellers at gun shows.

Please provide some PROOF that ANY firearms used by felons have been purchased at a "Gun Show"!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    [apostrophes added]

:noway:

Do you really feel that way? You'd be fine if Congress enacts a feckless law that add $25 to cost of every transaction, eliminates FTF transfers and puts all transaction in a book? Really?

Did this statement really get ignored by everyone else?

I was going to reply to that by looking up something I had typed during the federal UBC debate last yr (so I didn't have to re-type out stuff), then I realized it was the same person I was replying to back then. He wants to invent more crimes for criminals to commit for the purpose of racking up charges, regardless if it makes the world safer.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general-firearms-discussion/269365-gun-owners-vs-haters.html

IMO, if we want stronger sentences for those who commit violent crimes, we do it by increasing the sentencing for the crime, not by inventing a host of other illegal activites that burdon good honest folks. I'd rather completely end the FFL/NICS/serial-number system and make mandatory minimum sentences for murder, armed robbery, etc that actually detered crime and keep people incarcerated longer to reduce the impact of repeat offenders... I don't care if a felon buys a gun in a gun shop or gun show just like I don't care if a felon buys his tools for B&E at home depot or lowes. The vendor of the tool is NOT responsible for its use. Same reason I despise that buying good cold medicine is now a hassle.

-rvb

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Most criminals obtain firearms via burglary, theft and from family: frontline: hot guns: "How Criminals Get Guns" | PBS

The remainder of the criminal class obtain guns from FFLs. FFLs who run background checks. Perhaps another background check would prevent this?

quoted for emphasis.

Anyone remember G Gordon Liddy talking about "his wife's" gun collection? ;)
    G. Gordon Liddy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    August 25, 1986: Liddy's felony convictions rendered him unable to legally possess firearms. Despite this, Liddy founded G. Gordon Liddy & Associates, a private security firm. When asked how he was able to maintain such a close relationship with guns despite his status as a convicted felon, Liddy replied, "Mrs. Liddy has an extensive collection of firearms, some of which she keeps on my side of the bed."

Liddy was not a violent criminal. It's a shame folks like him loose gun rights, even if he'd done some bad (but non-violent) things, IMO.

-rvb

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Well, I may have been one of the "suspected felons" that you refused to deal with! I have approached several people carrying firearms for sale at gun shows with intent to make an offer if the price was right. Oh, I do have my LTCH and FFL-03 so you probably wouldn't have had any problems later! As I have stated before (several times), I don't believe any "FELON", though I don't credit them with much intelligence, would try to purchase a firearm at a Gun show, with both Police and ATF agents know to be present at all shows! Felons have much safer venues to obtain firearms - by theft, purchasing at bars, trading dope or stolen merchandise for a gun, buying from other felons (probably at previous mentioned bars) or getting from family members.

By the way I normally won't buy from people that require me to show my LTCH, I know many people (including family members who have guns brought back from WW2), that don't have LTCH's. I refuse to help gun sellers that want to add more requirements than the current laws require. The current "gun control" laws have proven to be completely ineffective, why should we, as proponents of the 2nd amendment, add more useless regulations? READ and UNDERSTAND the current laws involved with lawful sales of firearms by individuals, once you understand your lack of liability, you may want to reconsider your requirements for selling a firearm.

I am fully aware of my lack of liability regarding the sale of firearms. But you aren't aware of my personal situations that bring me to this decision.. an investigation of a persons involvement into a criminal matter (regardless of the outcome of that investigation) can result in a revocation of a cleared individuals security clearance. Working on classified projects is not a "right" and you have no "rights" when it comes to such matter. My career is worth more to me than getting sand in the vagina of someone I don't know over my refusal to barter with them on the sale of a firearm.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    By accepting or approving of increased back ground checks or any other gun control methods placed on the innocent, law abiding citizen to prevent felons from obtaining firearms, you are placing all of the responsibility on the innocent. This demonstrates that our liberties are dependant upon the actions of the lawless. It is their actions that dictate the amount or type of liberties the law abiding can have. I am not willing to allow my liberties to be taken from me due to the behavior of the criminals and I refuse to be held responsible for their actions.

Call me old fashioned, but that is my opinion for what it is worth. :)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Really? What good does showing a LTCH do? I did a quick google search and found this........ View attachment 27932 Criminals counterfit everything....from handbags to sports tickets. Any 5 year old could probably reproduce this in about 15 minutes with photoshop and print it out on the pretty pink paper. You think if a criminal wants a gun....they can't find a way to get one........all this will do is hurt the honest law abiding citizen.....not everyone has a LTCH but still like to shoot guns.:dunno:

Um, Slider, counterfeiting is illegal. That's what stop them.

:)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If I was felon? I’ll have to imagine,
    So much to do, it's hard to fathom
    Burglary, robbery, theft, arson and such
    Guns? Well, that shouldn’t take much.

I’ll head right down to a local gun show,
    Stolen cash in hand, my money to blow,
    Private sellers galore, no questions asked,
    A felons playground, it’s quite a blast.

But wandering the aisles, it soon becomes clear,
    These sellers, they think too much of their gear.
    Well used Glocks and XD’s, over 600 dollars,
    Guys selling who aren’t what we’d ever call scholars

A Taurus and Rock Island, each for a grand,
    Ruger P series pistols priced like they were banned.
    An AR pistol, “Hey that just may work!”
    ‘Til I saw the tag: “he must think I’m a jerk.”

I came here a felon, bent on getting a gun,
    But the sellers, their prices sent me on the run,
    I’m a law breaker, true, one for the books,
    But today I met a my match in these crooks.

Top Bottom