• ...and so much more!
  • Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    From the IDPA forum dated Mar 9 (so old news to some perhaps):

Magazine Disconnectors

There is precedence in other action shooting sports for a magazine disconnector to not be considered a safety. Trigger reliability work and trigger replacement is currently allowed for ESP & CDP. *Several aftermarket trigger kits have no magazine disconnector or any capability of accepting a disconnector. Based on this information, the rules clarification committee has ruled that a magazine disconnector is not a safety and can be removed as part of trigger reliability enhancements.*

Locks, Disconnectors & Safeties in Rules Clarifications 2012 Forum

Yay. Besides being a pain, seeing people try to keep a separate hammer dropping empty mag segregated from the others seemed like asking for trouble. More than removing the disconnect, anyway.

What most people don't realize is that not all HiPowers come with magazine disconnects (I refuse to call it a "safety"). FN/Browning will make them either way if you order it, and have done that for several decades. How many you have to order to get this special treatment I don't know. Maybe ten thousand or maybe one. When Browning gets such an order, they make extra and sell them on the civilian market. I bought a new BHP in 2003 that has no provision for a mag disconnect, and I assume it was one of those over runs. AIM surplus and others have sold HiPowers that are supposedly Israeli contract guns that don't have them.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Don't get too hopeful. They have "tiger teams" evaluating the rule book with changes probably coming. There should be plenty of opportunity for confusion and dissent.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I never actually gave that whole mag-disconnect thing an honest thought and have never seen a gun with one in the IDPA matches I shoot but that does pose an interesting dilemma about dropping the hammer on an empty gun.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Yeah, it can be a cluster juggling mags at the line.

With some of my HiPowers I can reach in and just move the disconnect enough to let the trigger work. They seem to be sprung lighter on older guns. On other guns I can't do that, and have to stick a Sharpie marker up there or use an empty mag.

When they said they were going to enforce the disconnect as a safety device a few years back, I was using one I couldn't trip by hand so I carried an "unloading mag" that I had pulled the guts from to make it a hollow tube. It was nickel, so stood out from my others. I would make sure, then hold it up to the SO before each use to look through as verification, even though he had seen it all day. What a cluster. I don't think any were every completely comfortable with it.
    I never saw anyone else do it that way, although I've heard of it. Everyone else I've seen with an active disconnect had to dig out an empty mag, or empty one that had rounds in it, and fiddle around with that. A bigger cluster.
    I saw some nervous SOs then, and was a bit jumpy myself when SOing someone doing that even though I was familiar with the process firsthand.

In contrast: With my disconnector-less ones, I just reached in out of habit and dropped the hammer. Nobody batted an eye.

Which was "safer"? Fiddling around with mags or sticks or whatever, or ditching the disconnect?

Not that I've been stewing over this for a while.

Now put 10mm back in CDP.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Yeah, it can be a cluster juggling mags at the line.

With some of my HiPowers I can reach in and just move the disconnect enough to let the trigger work. They seem to be sprung lighter on older guns. On other guns I can't do that, and have to stick a Sharpie marker up there or use an empty mag.

When they said they were going to enforce the disconnect as a safety device a few years back, I was using one I couldn't trip by hand so I carried an "unloading mag" that I had pulled the guts from to make it a hollow tube. It was nickel, so stood out from my others. I would make sure, then hold it up to the SO before each use to look through as verification, even though he had seen it all day. What a cluster. I don't think any were every completely comfortable with it.
    I never saw anyone else do it that way, although I've heard of it. Everyone else I've seen with an active disconnect had to dig out an empty mag, or empty one that had rounds in it, and fiddle around with that. A bigger cluster.
    I saw some nervous SOs then, and was a bit jumpy myself when SOing someone doing that even though I was familiar with the process firsthand.

In contrast: With my disconnector-less ones, I just reached in out of habit and dropped the hammer. Nobody batted an eye.

Which was "safer"? Fiddling around with mags or sticks or whatever, or ditching the disconnect?

Not that I've been stewing over this for a while.

Now put 10mm back in CDP.

One of the "suggestions" the "Tiger Team" was looking at was adding a new class called "Enhanced Defensive Pistol". Was stated that this would be a good place for the 10mm.

Personally, I say stick it in CDP.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    ...adding a new class called "Enhanced Defensive Pistol"...

I'm not surprised. I don't think another category is needed, and they have said the same...right before making a second revolver class.

I had just been thinking about an "ESP Major". I don't like the idea though; just saying I wouldnt be surprised. I think 10mm and .45 GAP should go in CDP. Maybe .40 too. As long as they make the PF and don't get loaded with more than eight rounds, why not?

I'd be afraid a new 10mm-accommodating category would be just that: a limited interest or specialty class. Being drawn-up as a niche class, when few people shot in it, they could say "see I told you so" and drop it in a few years then tell everyone they gave the non-45 majors a chance and nobody played.

Just add 10mm and whatever else to CDP and be done.
    If they did that, I'd shoot a 10 some and shoot a .45 some. Make another class and I might shoot it once a year.

Now, if they make a new Enhanced Defensive Pistol class and require a power factor of about 200 or so, that might be interesting!

Top Bottom