Idaho Student murders update: Police say why key details are being withheld from the public

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Arrest affidavit can be read here:

Reading through this, they first suspected him based upon a car being captured going past the house multiple times the night/morning of the murder. The car was also captured on video along a route back to Pullman, WA and they put a notice out for a white Elantra of certain model years. Multiple hits came back on his car, both with PA plates and WA plates. Previous traffic stops yielded his phone number. They got a limited search warrant for the 24 hour period prior to the murder and after and could put his car and phone along the route between Pullman, WA and Moscow, ID corresponding to the captured video images, BUT not at in the vicinity of the murder because he turned his phone off (or airplane mode) for about an hour before and after the time of the murders. His phone was not connected to the cellphone network during that time. Based upon that, they got a warrant for all of the historical cellphone data and showed that he cased the area of house about 12 times in the proceeding months. Based upon that, they took trash from his parents house in PA and obtained a direct DNA match. The match was to DNA from the snap of a KBAR sheath left at the murder scene.

Interesting read... looks like plain-old good police work! No telling how many other White Elantra's they had to shift through.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Interesting read... looks like plain-old good police work! No telling how many other White Elantra's they had to shift through.
    I was impressed with how well written the report was.

While the media seemed to portray all the Moscow police as Barney Fifes it sounds like a whole lot of hard work was going on in the background. The media was just upset they didn't have anything to run on their daily broadcast. And the police chief wasn't looking to become a TV star.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I was impressed with how well written the report was.

While the media seemed to portray all the Moscow police as Barney Fifes it sounds like a whole lot of hard work was going on in the background. The media was just upset they didn't have anything to run on their daily broadcast. And the police chief wasn't looking to become a TV star.
    I did a double-take on the press conference, because I thought the one guy was Santa Claus or Lee Sklar.

Remind your anti-gun friends that in a world without guns - nothing stops this from happening.

If a single kid had access to a firearm, it would have shut this sh_t down right there.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I did a double-take on the press conference, because I thought the one guy was Santa Claus or Lee Sklar.

Remind your anti-gun friends that in a world without guns - nothing stops this from happening.

If a single kid had access to a firearm, it would have shut this sh_t down right there.
    Were they not allowed to have firearms, or did they choose not to? It was off campus housing I thought?

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    If a single kid had the willingness to use a firearm. Having access has little to do with the willingness to use one.
    When one's friends are being hacked to death, I think it will be a rare person who won't have the "willingness" to use a firearm.

Ability, maybe. Willingness...no. Sorry, Denny rejected on this one :nono:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    When one's friends are being hacked to death, I think it will be a rare person who won't have the "willingness" to use a firearm.

You are referring to the same young people at the scene who SAW the suspect walk away from the killing and were so scared that they waited until morning to call 911. They describe their fear as freezing them in place for hours....yeah, giving those kids a gun would have fixed that.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    You are referring to the same young people at the scene who SAW the suspect walk away from the killing and were so scared that they waited until morning to call 911. They describe their fear as freezing them in place for hours....yeah, giving those kids a gun would have fixed that.
    Thinking there is more to the story here? Seems as if fight or flight would have overrode being frozen in place? Something is not passing the smell test.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thinking there is more to the story here? Seems as if fight or flight would have overrode being frozen in place? Something is not passing the smell test.
    Well, the updated response is actually 3Fs. Freeze is the "new" response. And apparently becoming more common than the other two, even if its only temporary. Its not uncommon for someone to freeze, at least temporarily until they can flight.

And I'm sure a good dose of "this isnt happening" is probably mixed in there too.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Well, the updated response is actually 3Fs. Freeze is the "new" response. And apparently becoming more common than the other two, even if its only temporary. Its not uncommon for someone to freeze, at least temporarily until they can flight.

And I'm sure a good dose of "this isnt happening" is probably mixed in there too.
    Coupled with the aforementioned substances they may have imbibed…

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Coupled with the aforementioned substances they may have imbibed…
    Indeed. drunk coed comes out sees masked dude and freaks for a minute, then passes out. Hell, I was sober one morning at 4am in a DEEP sleep and was awakened by a cop at my door. I answered the door still groggy and he asked if my cameras were working, I said yes and he asked if I could review the cameras to get an ID on a car that may have driven by after shooting into a house and hitting a kindergartener 3 blocks away. I said I would and went back to bed. It didnt register at the time that it was time sensitive and they really needed a description for a BOLO. Oops.

Lucky for me it was a kid in the neighborhood that lived one street closer to the victim, so they never drove by my cameras.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Freeze was ALWAYS there.
    Just wasn't in the expression till recently.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

A man and his daughter were killed a few decades ago, I think in Valpo.
    The ex-bf of the daughter showed up.
    Father pulls gun. But doesn't use it.
    Ex-bf walks up, takes the gun, kills both.

Yes, 'willingness' (or mindset) is definitely part of it.

Top Bottom