• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock32j

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Danville IN
    Dont know if it belongs here but here goes. Has anyone bought this app? Just wanted to know if it was worth the 2 bucks? The app is iCHL on the iphone. Looks like it could be informative.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :dunno:
    I don't own a "smartphone" so perhaps my view is jadded on this. But on the Android and iPhone are you not already required to buy a data plan (ie. be able to get online). If so why buy an app like this when you can go online via your phone and get the info from the website for free?

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I don't own a "smartphone" so perhaps my view is jadded on this. But on the Android and iPhone are you not already required to buy a data plan (ie. be able to get online). If so why buy an app like this when you can go online via your phone and get the info from the website for free?

Some carriers require it (VZW for instance) but others dont (T-Mobile) and others wont tell you that they dont require it, and will insist they do, but will ultimately let you buy it without then charge you into the poor house and say "I told you so!" when you neglect to turn data usage off, and they charge you the standard BS rate of $1.99/mb or whatever it is (ATT, and the occasional rouge VZW rep who will authorize anything)

The app may or may not use data as well. I didnt look at this specific one, but I have seen two versions of a similar concept, one version simply pulled the information directly off of an online database, which kind of defeats the purpose. The other was a crude collection of the data for offline use.

No Android version? BAH!

There is an Android version of a similar concept. Your money is better spent on some coffee to drink while you download all 50 PDFs from another site, and install the free Adobe PDF reader.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy

There is an Android version of a similar concept. Your money is better spent on some coffee to drink while you download all 50 PDFs from another site, and install the free Adobe PDF reader.

^^^^this

I've got a Droid, through Verizon, with the unlimited data package. I rarely download apps. If I need to know something, like in this case, I'd just open the browser and search. This gives me the benefit of being able to check multiple sources versus the ONE source in the app. Also that way I'm not lulled into thinking the app is always up to date or that it's even correct.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Dont know if it belongs here but here goes. Has anyone bought this app? Just wanted to know if it was worth the 2 bucks? The app is iCHL on the iphone. Looks like it could be informative.

I own it.

I bought it before the first of the year. As of Jan 1 the laws in several states changed and I was aware of the changes. It took about 35 days (give or take) for the application to update its database but it appears to be up to date now.

Its a good little reference tool and worth the $2 fee.

However, whenever I carry into another state, or go on a driving vacation through several states I tend to look up the laws of the states prior to my trip.

I'm happy with the iPhone iCHL app and would buy it again, but while it supplements research it does not replace it.

pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government

I refuse to carry anything smarter than me! I feel intimidated by my watch!

Mr Bike Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2009
    I just bought this app last week. Laws seem up to date with what I have checked out online. Well worth the $2!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The app is incorrect. Indiana's LTCH is not recognized by New Mexico, as it shows. I don't know if there are other errors or not.

As Melensdad said, it's a supplement, but it won't replace research.

I also have apps called "CHL" and "Legal Heat" that I like better. :twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom