I want to build an AR-15 from an 80% Lower.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I just purchased an 80% lower from Ares Armory. (Post raid.) I'm not a machinist, but I want to give this a try. Partly as a challenge, partly to thumb my nose at the "man".
    I will update this thread as I go along. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions through out. So I'd appreciate any input I can get from you all.
    First off, does anyone have a AR jig they'd let me borrow? I'm located in Indy and willing to travel. I'd like to do this with a jig, but because I'm not sure that I'll do more than one I don't think I can justify the cost of the jig. If not I'll get started without one in the next week or two.
    Without further aduei;

And so it begins.

GOPR0407x+%2528Large%2529.jpg

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I see what you're all about, You just want a place to rent the jig in the future. :):
    Ya if I'm smart that's what I should do. I'm really hoping though that if I stall for week or so someone might have one that will loan it to me. We'll see. I'm also buying a finished stripped lower next week to have as a comparison.
    Cut your losses....buy the jig and rent it out in future....:)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I do a lot of fabricating and If I can use a jig it is so much easier and less stress involved and yeah.......I want to rent/borrow one my self. I have had a few folks ask me if I could do their 80% lowers. I can but I prefer having a jig lay it out for me.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Here are a couple of pictures from an 80% lower build that I did last year.

20140322_114518.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

20140322_114555.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

20140322_114505.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    These are very nice pictures. Did you use a jig? Did you use equipment that is outside the realm of an average hobbiest? In short, are these just cool pictures to drool over or do I have a snowballs chance in Hades of following this?
    By the way, if you used a jig, can I borrow it?
    Here are a couple of pictures from an 80% lower build that I did last year.

20140322_114518.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

20140322_114555.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

20140322_114505.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Here's the story behind this build. A friend of mine has a company that were selling 80% lowers and jigs to complete them. He was having complaints about the jigs. So, he gave me a lower and jig to try and see if the jig was any good (he wanted my professional opinion). Basically, the jig was junk. There was no way possible to put in the holes for the trigger, hammer, and safety accurately. So, he is now not selling them. But, I went ahead and completed the lower in about 1 1/2 hours, with a 3 axis mill. Could you do one with a drill press? Sure, if you have a good jig. Is going to look factory when you drill/mill out the trigger/ hammer area? Probably not. Let me see if I have some pictures from my machining process and I will post them here.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Here's a picture taken milling out the trigger area.

20130921_135356.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Here's a picture of the lower in the vice after putting in the trigger, hammer, and safety holes.

20130921_133025.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In the absence of a junky workshop grade gage block set, wouldn't it be better to have a matched pair of 1-2-3 blocks to fill the trigger guard for that operation?

And where's your layout dye and scribe marks? ;)

Sidetrack:

Some modern modular 5.56 rifles use a fire control group module with an integral trigger that just drops into the cavity in the receiver. If an AR-15's cavity were a snug fit, it could be held in place quite handily by just the selector knob's shaft and the fitment. Has anyone tried an aluminum lower without the hammer and trigger pin holes to use an integrated fire control module? It would eliminate two steps in the completion of an 80%er and leave fewer holes in the aluminum. Sounds like win-win to me. ATF might not like the reduction in workload for the owner/builder, but they're busy making more work for themselves by changing horses mid-race on polymer 80%ers.

Top Bottom