• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I have always taken the pistol locked in a gun vault pistol box to the counter. Told them I want to declare a personal firearm. I then open the box and put the whatever paperwork inside. I lock the box and use the cable yo secure to the interior frame of my luggage. Some airports have me take the gun to the screening area. Indy does not. I think they have a form I give TSA when going to the gate. Been awhile since I have flown. TSA at Indy asks me for the combination to check. Other airports have me stay with the bag and pre screen. Never a problem.

Got it. I use key lock(s), but I've never been asked to open the case by the TSA or gate agent. I just stuff the paperwork in the case while its still in my checked bad so it's doubtful anyone even sees the case. I did have a gate agent in JAX tell me NOT to unlock the case. I asked her how I was supposed to put the paperwork inside without opening it. She thought about it and told me just to put it in my suitcase. By that time I'd already put it inside the pelican and re-locked it. I wish everyone was on the same sheet of music...

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have had a 642 as my bicycle gun for the last 10 years and several thousand rounds and although it shows some wear, it still shoots fine. I don't take very good care of it either. Sweat, rain, snow, it sees it all.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Was gifted my first J Frame. M36 2in, rd butt grips. Carried it for 9 years, as a backup to Service Revolver on duty. Received a call about new Centennial 640, bought one. While on vacation, my house got burgled, and 3 handguns were stolen. M36, M640, M38. I had my Service Revolver on my hip that day.
    Waited 3 weeks, no news or recovery, so bought a 442 J frame. Good gun, pocket or holster, no issues.

8 years later, my M38 Bodyguard was recovered in Tennessee. No criminal crime committed with it, an NCIC check proved my ownership. I took a trip to the Smokey Mountains, and to Knoxville. Spoke to PD, got a release, and took my gun home. It looked like it was dragged a 100 miles behind a car. Hardly see the S/N, had electric tape grips, cylinder loose, frame cracked. Sad loss. Called S&W, they could look at it, no guarntees. Sent it to the factory. Unsafe to shoot. No parts to fix.

They offered a discount on any model, so bought a M/P in 40cal. Picked up at LGS, nice gun. Not a J frame.

Get a snubbie, or two. Well worh having for all good purposes.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    How's about the LCR in .327 Federal Mag instead of .357? One more round, 3 smaller calibers to train with: 32 S&W, 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R Mag.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I really dig my LCR. Weight doesn't tell the whole story when it comes to recoil. The Hogue Recoil Tamer grips on the LCR work. They've got some sort of gel insert in the back and, I don't know, unicorn tears and elf magic or something, but they really do dampen the recoil. I can run 125 gr .357s through mine and it's not bad. 158gr is still pretty unpleasant, though. Any .38 +P has been fine to shoot.

The trigger is better than the j-frames, but you need to let it reset fully.

The only snubby I've liked as well was a well worn in Colt Detective Special.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I own and have carried my s&w model 60-14. It's a snubbie and I bobbed the hammer on it to stop snagging issues. Never owned a ruger but there is just something about s&w. Especially their revolvers.:cool:

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    LCR in 38 plus p! Light, cheaper than its bigger brothers, usually can find them for $400ish. Great hideaway. Light and smooth curves and angles. You can carry it many different ways all day long without notice or discomfort. Great trigger. Buy several different models, it's only money!!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Another S & W 640-3 vote. I've carried it for close to 4 years as a bug. If I have to go in a hurry I grab it and pocket carry it a pocket holster. I shoot Critical Defense 38 +P's. I have no complaints. Hides easy,

I did put a spring kit in it. Good investment for me. Everyone that shoots it loves it. It has a lot of carry time. Probably 600 rounds threw it and about 10k dry fires to get use to the trigger. I can stage the trigger perfectly now.

15 yard target:

I painted the sights. It made a big difference:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I think my preference is for the 640 Pro, followed by the 9mm LCR. But I've never concealed carried a small revolver. I have shot J frames, which is why I like the idea of the sights on the 640 Pro. I've never fired an LCR but I think I would like the light weight right up till the instant I fired it. Or maybe I wouldn't notice 7oz either way? I'm pretty insensitive to recoil, so...:dunno:

Do you - or anyone - know the thickness of the 9mm moonclips? I would hope and assume that they are a bit thicker than the 38/357 moonclips (considering it's for a rimless cartridge that should have a bigger lip for an extractor to grab)
    Just curious....
    We'll see if Google knows...

EDIT to add --ound it:
    9mm moonclips are .032 thick
    http://tkcustom.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=268&cat=9mm

and the 38/357 moonclips (for other guns cut for moonclips) are .020-.025

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Another S & W 640-3 vote. I've carried it for close to 4 years as a bug. If I have to go in a hurry I grab it and pocket carry it a pocket holster. I shoot Critical Defense 38 +P's. I have no complaints. Hides easy,

I did put a spring kit in it. Good investment for me. Everyone that shoots it loves it. It has a lot of carry time. Probably 600 rounds threw it and about 10k dry fires to get use to the trigger. I can stage the trigger perfectly now.

15 yard target:

I painted the sights. It made a big difference:

Wonder how that'd look with black cerakote on the rear sight?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    642 here for me. I used to carry one for years. The crazy thing is that I actually enjoyed shooting it to the point of becoming quite proficient. Most people don't feel the same way about shooting a lightweight J-frame enough to get the hang of them.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    642 here for me. I used to carry one for years. The crazy thing is that I actually enjoyed shooting it to the point of becoming quite proficient. Most people don't feel the same way about shooting a lightweight J-frame enough to get the hang of them.

This is what leads me to the 640 Pro. I just don't think I'd be happy practicing with the "standard" snubbie sight picture; it's imprecise to my eyes. I realize that they're "fine for their intended purpose," but I want more precision during practice.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Wonder how that'd look with black cerakote on the rear sight?

It would probably look great. I picked those two colors because they really stand out against each other. I have issue seeing things against black. If you notice you will see that my target is turned around backwards in the picture. I could not see the sights against the black target. I painted my sights shortly after that. And it made a big difference! My groups have impoved.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    There is one snubbie that beats a 640 hands down... the 940.

Except..., mine is so perfect, so pristine, that I quit carrying it.

So I got a 642 and put a DeSantis clip grip on it and now that is my go everywhere, in a hurry, grab a gun, go-to firearm.

c00c8350091f4715e0ccd11e236ddfed.jpg

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I starred my snubie journey with a Colt Detective Special. I liked the gun a lot and shot it pretty well. It was a little bit big for pocket carry but it could be done in a pinch if needed. I mainly carried it IWB.

20130316_171335-1_zpshhc1tmgp.jpg

Sadly the Colt was stolen in a home break in a few years back. The insurance company replaced it with a S&W Bodyguard. This is much more of a true pocket gun and basically comparable to the 442. It was insanely easy to carry but I didn't enjoy shooting it and I wasn't very accurate with it.

20150830_150439_zpsfoa8awvf.jpg

Eventually I traded the Bodyguard for a Glock 42. Threads like this make me want to run out and get another snubbie. I've decided my next one will be the LCRx in .357.

sailinon

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    I've got a 340PD and it's a fragile flower. Had to send it back to the factory twice, once for a bent ejector rod. I wouldn't recommend them, go with all steel.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Do you prefer the exposed hammer or the longer barrel? Sights? Having never owned a snubbie, I'd like to hear your reasoning.

After having revolvers with an exposed hammer and without, I prefer the option of shooting in single action. I didn't like spending all my range time shooting DA only.

The hammer on the LCRx isn't exactly bobbed, but it's pretty low profile compared to other revolvers of similar size. There's not much difference in the footprint compared to the LCR.

Ruger_LCRx_006_tn.JPG

Last edited:
    Top Bottom