• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    get a knock at the door, its an old man, who starts gabbering a mile a minute, hands me a gold star and starts shoving laminated folded up "permits" that you cant hardly read and then hands me one with various magazine names on it with sloppy hand writing in marker on the top.

he continually asks mundane and useless questions that has no relation to why he's knocking on my door, and states over and over "he's here for the veterans"

he never says what group or organization he is with, i dont see anything on his person for actually taking orders for magazines. i hand him back his "cards" and he keeps pushing them toward me. i tell him to stop and he needs to hang on to them.

he then in a round about way tells me the star he gave me first off is 25 dollars, when i say i dont have 25 dollars he quickly says 5 dollars. i say i dont have 5 dollars and hand him back the star (which i dont everything goes on debit card) he turns around and practically runs down the side walk as fast as an old man with a cane can.

handing someone and then expecting payment is the same types of scam the pan handlers in chicago play the game they are counting on people being too intimidated to say no.

i think i may call the city

jake

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Same thing happened to me about 2 months ago. When I didn't buy anything he mumbled about how I wasn't supporting veterans. :dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have my property prominently posted no trespass and no sales. One of the signs are right by the front door. I still get people knocking in full view of the posting. When I answer and am not very warm and cuddly, pointing at the posting I get "well, I am not trespassing"
    To which I respond, "Did I invite you up here". To which they respond, "NO"
    To which I respond "Yes, you are trespassing, haul A$$"
    Folks just do not get it anymore.

Last edited:

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    My wife had a door to door guy wearing a Navy Polo say he was a Veteran selling something, when she asked where he was stationed he just kept talking about the product. One of those cleaner deals and he wanted in the house.

Ok can anyone give me the name of a Naval base that even an idiot can come up with ???

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    i just called the city. the lady said he does have a peddlers permit and was a veteran so we cant discriminate but yea he's supposed to be selling magazines.

i told her about the gold star and the fact he never announced himself and beside the card had no magazine selling supplies with him. she was pretty much "thats not going to work, i'll call the police chief"

dont want to get the old guy in trouble but scams make me mad

jake

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    My wife had a door to door guy wearing a Navy Polo say he was a Veteran selling something, when she asked where he was stationed he just kept talking about the product. One of those cleaner deals and he wanted in the house.

Ok can anyone give me the name of a Naval base that even an idiot can come up with ???

norfolk, san diego ummmm great lakes (not much of a base but still)

jake

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Never, ever, ever let these fools in your house. Nothing good will come of it.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    A scam is a scam is a scam
    Screw him

I seek out people to give donations to, not give donations to people asking for them

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    A scam is a scam is a scam
    Screw him

I seek out people to give donations to, not give donations to people asking for them

there is a lot of truth to this! if i want to give to a charity i will. now i wouldnt be upset over a phone call maybe that went like this.

"hi, this is mike with ..... we just wanted to call and let you know about our charity, please be assured we are not asking for donations at this time but would like to direct you to our web site and just give you a brief summary of what we are about............................"

this would be much more palatable

jake

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    Funny, I just had two younger (early 20's) come to my door wanting to "give me some free detergent" for somthing to do with Kirby(did not even know Kirby still went door to door) I adjusted my pants while we they were doing their talking points and accidently:evilangel:pulled my shirt up a little showing the .357 on my belt and the poor kid doing the talking just about :poop: himself. It was the most entertaining thing I have seen all week. They did not really push the matter when I told them I was not interested in buying anything.

Last edited:

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Funny, I just had two younger (early 20's) come to my door wanting to "give me some free detergent" for somthing to do with Kirby(did not even know Kirby still went door to door) I adjusted my pants while we they were doing their talking points and accidently:evilangel:pulled my shirt up a little showing the .357 on my belt and the poor kid doing the talking just about :poop: himself. It was the most entertaining thing I have seen all week. They did not really push the matter when I told them I was not interested in buying anything.

Yes they do, he was at my house a couple weeks after my daughter was born. After he mentioned that I could buy a Kirby on a payment plan, I informed him he was off his rocker if he thought I was FINANCING a vacuum.

OP, get some No Soliciting signs, then just open the door, and slam it in their faces.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    Yes they do, he was at my house a couple weeks after my daughter was born. After he mentioned that I could buy a Kirby on a payment plan, I informed him he was off his rocker if he thought I was FINANCING a vacuum.

OP, get some No Soliciting signs, then just open the door, and slam it in their faces.

we did post a sign for religious solitication a while ago, other than that we havent really had much, couple school kids here and there selling stuff for class trips etc.

might have to reconsider tho, i just hate how signs look

jake

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    There is an 18" 12 gauge sitting next to my front door for a reason. Nobody ever drops by unannounced if I know them. If there is a knock at the door, it is either going to be a cop or a stranger.

There is one teenager that stops by about once a month trying to sell magazines, even though there is a no soliciting rule at the apartment complex. Some sob story about how his mom is making him sell magazines to get him off the xbox. Yeah, right.

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    We had the same thing at our house. Some kid gave me a wadded up laminated handbill asking for money so that he could go to college...Well not be a dick but I couldn't pay for college either so i got a job. I told him we dont give money but that the service is always looking for good men. He just grumbled and left as i shut the door...Well he didn't get off the porch before the dog came out the back wagging his tail wanting to say hey. I heard this kid screaming and pounding on my door half way across the house. Poor kid raised his hand to hit the dog.....Well we all know you never hit the dog...I think wer're off their list for now.

Top Bottom