• silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    You didn't?
    And yet...

I merely asked a question. If I had made an assumption of some sort I would have contacted the DNR without posting anything in this thread. natdscott and I spoke about everything in a pm. I'm very positive we both share almost exactly if not the exact same feelings about poachers. So there ya have it.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    If you don't have a suppressor, a .22 rifle is quieter than a .22 pistol and you'll probably get better velocity. One .22 shot from a rifle is a random pop that is difficult to identify, difficult to locate, and typically goes unnoticed. Two or more shots from a .22 is much more likely to be perceived as gun fire. Make the first shot count, but be prepared for a follow-up in the unlikely event it is needed.

A .22LR round that pentrates the skull is more than adequate for humanely and quickly euthanizing an animal the size of a cat.

Putting the muzzle as close to the head as you can, making sure you're making a 90 degree angle to the skull at the point of impact will reduce chances of missing or the bullet deflecting from the skull.

Small animals have tiny brainstems. If you can't position the animal the way you want, you may not be able to choose a "perfect" brainstem shot when you euthanize. If you don't damage the brainstem, the animal will move some as it expires, but it's not suffering. I would choose a safe trajectory (i.e. into the grass below the animal) and tolerate some peri-mortem spasms rather than risk the shot exiting and hitting something else if my choices are limited.

Impact and edged tools are not inhumane to the animal as long as the person using the tools acts with conviction and does the job on the first try. The fact that the visuals can be more disturbing to observers is about the people being squeamish, not about the animal actually suffering anymore than it must.

Uhhh.......'at AIN't euthanize'n , dude........jus' say'n.....

putsjunior

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Suburma
    damn there's a lot of butthurt on this forum. Took her to the vet. He fixed her up for 120 bucks. Now she wears the cone of shame for a few days. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Uh, that's exactly what it is. Euthanasia is about intent and purpose, not method.

beg ta differ with ya dude......with'at said......when yer time comes, be awrite sumbody .....put 1 the back yer brainstem?.....be OK, won' it?....you'a only flop like fish fer....?....second or so...
    better yet......how 'bout big eF'n hammer blow rite 'tween the eyes?.....might take more'n 1, tho....

rec'n.....could git'r done with a ol' empty cardboard fridge box.....ya know....tape it up, run'a car exhaust in fer 'while.....may take jus'a lil' long'r, tho....

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I didn't realize there would be people getting on the /ignore list outside of the politics threads....

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    damn there's a lot of butthurt on this forum. Took her to the vet. He fixed her up for 120 bucks. Now she wears the cone of shame for a few days. Thanks for the help.

Glad to hear she is on the mend. Cats are tough critters.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN

"The cone of shame".... Dude that was a great movie!..we say " Squirrel " and our boxer goes psycho..... Priceless!

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Shovel. Quick and quiet when applied carefully. No loud noise.

Sorry for your loss.

From post #85 (22 hours ago):

The cat is alive and healing up with a lampshade on its head.

Top Bottom