• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My wife's friend had an antibiotic stash so we gave her some of those to get her through the day. Vet tomorrow if she's still alive.

If you have a farm store in your area, there is a product called Wonder Dust (usually found in the horse section of medications) that is GREAT for open wounds. It is a combination of blood stop powder and something that has amazing healing abilities. I have used it on goats, chickens, cats, dogs....anything with an open wound. I know this isn't fly season, but it keeps bugs out of the injury and coats it with this powder and seems to heal just about any type of wound. I had a guinea hen that was attacked by a raccoon once and had huge chunks gouged out of her back. I coated her with Wonder Dust daily for about a week and she healed up completely.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I put down big possums and raccoons every week inside the city limits with my air rifle. A domed pellet to the dome puts em down. Then they all get recycled in the compost pile.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It's highly doubtful that shooting even a .22 within city limits would pass muster with local law.
    Use a powerful air rifle (minimum 700 fps) and a good domed pellet instead.
    A .22 air rifle works better than the more common .177.
    Hope your kitty makes it, though.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Another vote for the .22. Don't let it suffer.

I took one out with a subsonic 300BLK a few years ago just to keep from startling the neighbors, even though we are out in the country.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I've killed a cat with a 22 and it worked just fine. I actually dug the hole first, put the cat in the hole and then shot it in the head. Note that the cat couldn't run do to the fact one of it's legs was torn off so if you are going to do this try and make sure you don't miss and make it even more traumatic. It was sad as I just felt so bad for the poor thing, but if I had to do it again this is how I would do it.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I just skimmed through this kind of quickly. Trust me, it's not easy to put your own pet down, and nobody should have to do that. Where are you located? If you are in the NW corner, and it must be done, feel free to pm.

Sorry that you are faced with this. It's the toughest part of pet ownership.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    So lemme get this straight...........an animal will not recover from substantial injury, so needs put down to "end the suffering"........so we go onto a forum rather than perform the task?

And that task...........on a forum one is asking for info within breaking a law (by discharging a firearm within city limits)?

Sure looks like a severe face palm thread.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    "Nobody should ever have to do it" ?????

IMHO if one pees standing up and can't do the job they're an unfit pet owner.

It does suck bigtime, but that again IMHO is part of pet ownership.

Helpful hint: dig the hole first.

Last edited:

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    So lemme get this straight...........an animal will not recover from substantial injury, so needs put down to "end the suffering"........so we go onto a forum rather than perform the task?

And that task...........on a forum one is asking for info within breaking a law (by discharging a firearm within city limits)?

Sure looks like a severe face palm thread.

I suggested the hammer. I won't contribute to his criminal acts.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    .22 is the most humane suggestion given so far. A hammer? Really?

This IS one of the most humane ways to do it for a smaller animal...so long as youre not blind or drunk, or both.

Ive seen .22's ricochet off of a skull at 10 yards leaving the animal thrashing aout...a hammer incapacitates quickly and humanely.

Shovels are also very quick...it sounds bad, but in the sake of the humane treatment of animals a quick decapitation is about as humane as it gets.

God bless
    -Shred

Top Bottom