• ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    It's a cat. CB should work fine.
    Blunt force can be messy (I rather dislike head trauma, even when hunting, as it makes the critter rather unsightly).
    So beating it in the head until dead isn't a very smart way to go about it.
    One can hit the skull/neck junction and kill quickly without making things look horrible.
    Probably not a skill to be developed when attempting to expire a pet.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Rimfire JHP behind the shoulder works. Can work fast or take a few seconds.
    .22 mag seems to work faster. Sometimes immediate.

Death process coming on, or after..........some animals can be rather dynamic in movement.
    Some animals more prone to it than others.

Which could make things more unsettling.

Cats notorious for flipping about.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    It's a cat. CB should work fine.
    Blunt force can be messy (I rather dislike head trauma, even when hunting, as it makes the critter rather unsightly).
    So beating it in the head until dead isn't a very smart way to go about it.
    One can hit the skull/neck junction and kill quickly without making things look horrible.
    Probably not a skill to be developed when attempting to expire a pet.

It may be messy, but I guarantee a 20 oz eastwing will be quick and humane on a cat.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My neighbor raised rabbits when I was a kid.
    He had a little ball pein hammer.
    Whack, or sometimes two.........and it was done.
    Rabbits are the Mcnuggets of the animal kingdom..........not exactly tough.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this so I apologize in advance. I have a stray cat that has become my outside mouser over the years. Last night something tore her up really bad. I'm thinking a raccoon. If I do have to put her down, would a .22 be sufficient? I don't want to fire off a bigger round inside city limits but I don't want her to suffer anymore than she already is either.

However you do it, you should prepare yourself. Cats can have pretty violent reactions, even when technically dead. A perfect brain shot can still result in a few crazy jumps. That can be quite unsettling to see.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Sorry, Mom. Hammer works. Fast, painless. Lots closer to the action than most folks are comfortable though. I've put steers down to butcher with a 16oz ball peen..
    And it's legal in city limits.

Trying to hold onto a cat while attempting to deliver a fatal blow is not an easy task. It is also something that could result in cruelty to animal charges if observed by the wrong person. He asked for the most humane way to dispatch the cat, and the hammer is not that...at least not in my opinion. It takes a well placed blow and is not a pleasant thing to do to your pet.

We used to kill our rabbits with the hammer, but it was more of a method of stunning them and then quickly slitting the throat to bleed them out. I grew up on a farm so I understand all too well how to dispatch a variety of critters.

Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    Cut a hole in the side and run a small hose into a Styrofoam cooler. Make sure it seals tight. Get a tank of CO2, helium, or whatever gas you can get and connect it to the hose. Place cat in cooler, put cement block on top, and turn on gas. Go dig hole. By the time you're done, the cat is dead.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Reading this makes me take comfort in how we have said goodbye to two beloved Huskies... In the office and in the care of the same people who so compassionately cared for them since they were pups. I won't badmouth anyone for doing it another way, I just know I couldn't. Not with a dog anyway. With an outside cat, I don't know. But I doubt it. Knowing that about myself, I also know I would have no problem killing anything in defense of myself, my family, or an innocent victim. I don't think I'm unusual in this regard.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, I wouldn't kill anything unless it's being a threat or vermin, which is a threat in its own way, or I was planning to eat it. In the case of one of my fur people, irreconcilable suffering deserves a humane way out. A cat you've shared mutual benefit with counts. I've used trichloromethane, what do you call that stuff... chloroform. Puts them to sleep just like the shot.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    .22 is messy and chance of failure, however small.

I think you have not met a good .22 rifle, and used it on a very sick animal before. Even ELEY target ammo will lay a deer out cold...we're not talking about hunting or chest shots here KW.

-Nate

singlemalt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Frankfort
    The last one I put down was an awfully good buddy. Thought he was a dog. Would lay in my lap n roll over for belly rubs everytime i was in my easy chair. He went to the vet for the sleep.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Cats can have pretty violent reactions, even when technically dead. A perfect brain shot can still result in a few crazy jumps.

Animals shot in the head can move some, sure, but I have yet to see a well placed brain shot result in anything except a flop onto the ground. 'Headshots', yes. But a good solid hit on the motor center or brain stem, and the lights go off immediately.

As a general rule, centering the shot between an animals ear hole and their eye will result in pretty immediate cessation of activity. In this case, I think that's what you're after, OP.

For those of you who have not spent a lot of time figuring out how to kill things in the absolutely fastest and most humane way possible, I don't apologize if this is a little graphic for you. The OP asked, so we all answered. I still wouldn't use a hammer, but I don't live in a city either.

Oh, and the gas suffocation method is just a terrible thing to do to an animal. Why don't you just bag her up and toss her in the pool for chrissake...it'd be about as bad. Just because you aren't there to see and hear the animal's suffering (because you are conveniently in the back yard digging) does not mean it isn't happening, it just means you chose to stick your head in the sand.

-Nate

Last edited:
    Top Bottom