• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Hey guys, I've been doing a little coyote hunting the past couple of weeks out at my dads with no success. I've been using an electronic distress call and am wondering if I should try an actual coyote call. Never used one but didnt know if a guy would have better luck with one of these. I was able to call one in on a distressed rabbit call last year but it was the first time I'd tried don't know if it was just chance. Also open to any fundamental tips as I've never been shown how to hunt coyotes. Thanks.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    A totally random list:
    • Coyotes can hear a twig come in contact with nylon at about 150 yards. Fleece up and keep your movements limited to almost nothing aside from trigger pull.
    • When it's really cold, they can be hunted during the day. Look for them napping on the edge of cover, with their backs to the sun. Take high ground and prepare to shoot long.
    • Be subtle with your calling. Try a mouse squeak instead of that godawful wailing rabbit.
    • What you think is great camouflage, a 'yote thinks is kinda funny. Start with Army FM 23-10 (Chapter 4) and go from there.
    • They are incredibly smart creatures. Of course, you'll figure this out for yourself if you spend much time hunting them.
    • You'll develop patience in quantities you probably can't even imagine right now, if you become successful at hunting them.

Good luck, and keep us updated. :ingo:

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Take scent control very serious. They really can smell as well as reported.

Get some elevation advantage. I have gone as far as using a tree stand, but it limits how many set ups you can get in.

Decoys can go either way. They can help or hurt you. They are great if used right.

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    My $0.02

Coyotes are coyotes, day or night, they'll come to the right stand. Rabbit distress kills more coyotes than any other sound, October-March. I call loud because coyotes don't come to what they don't hear. Until they've focused their attention on something it's amazing what they won't hear.

Camo isn't real important to killing CALLED coyotes, carharts and blue jeans are fine if the stand is right. Concealment is key and backdrops are crucial, so I just avoid the basic no-no's like any high ground or treestands where I'll be silhouetted.

There is no way to hide or mask a scent from a coyote's nose, all you can do is play the wind. Whether you've taken ten showers in scent-killer and thrown on scent-lock clothing or you're toking on a cigar, a coyote working a call is going to know you're there when he gets downwind. Don't let him get downwind.

If you're calling the same property over and over your likelyhood of success (as a beginner) is dwindling sharply each time. The more negative experiences you give the same coyotes to a calling scenario, the more cautiously/hesitantly/rarely they're going to work it in the future. If you've moved those coyotes with your calls more than two or three times (even if you didn't see them) they're going to be 10 times harder to kill than coyotes down the road that may not have been hunted yet.

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Wow thanks for all of the info. Sounds like i can stick with the calls i have. So it sounds like blending in with the environment is key. No scent, sound or visual detection. Ive been considering all these factors each time ive been out but not that seriously. At what times do you usualy get set up? Is night, dusk or dawn any better than the other?

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    E-callers are legal for predators and varmints,but not deer,turkey or wildfowl.

Top Bottom