• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have a Ka-Bar short heavy bowie that I actually have split wood with. Bought it NIB for $45.

1276_large.jpg

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    k bar makes a hell of a knife. iam starting to like sogs but some of there blades are extremely hard to sharpen. just gotta love american made knives too

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    k bar makes a hell of a knife. iam starting to like sogs but some of there blades are extremely hard to sharpen. just gotta love american made knives too

send it back to sog to have them sharpen it. it's only cost of shipping, thats what I do with my seal 2000. IIRC they use a deep hollow grind on the seal series and I can't replicate that at home.

buckhunterbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Kimmell
    Hi, Buck 119 is a nice knife. Find an old one & it will have better steel than the newer ones. But harder to sharpen. Buck Knives have great warranty as you probably know. Blades don't hardly ever rust.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    knife

I say go with a case xx, but I also like the Ka-bar. If you want to spend just a little more I would go with a Knives of Alaska. I don't think you can go wrong with a case. A fixed blade hunter. There are all types of variations out there. Also, they have made a prototype combat knife. Just some ideas

mfrobert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    You could get a used spyderco and easily put a new edge on it and it would work like a charm! I love my custom knives, but I love the durability and $ of spyderco's

exodus125

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    get yourself a rat cutlery knife. They stay sharp, are of exceptional quality, and if they ever break, for any reason, they will replace it if your the original owner, or second owner, or 12th owner. Doesn't matter if you cut it in half with a blow torch or if you used it to carve a hole in a cement wall. They will replace it. How many $50 knives would you have to buy to get that?

I personally own a rat-4 and I bought it used, in good condition. Keep your eyes open in any of the knife forums, you can find good deals on some used. I paid $80 for mine and they go for $160 new I think. Best $80 I have ever spent. Theres a knife tester on youtube that tortures knives to test the durability, I bought mine after I saw the video for the rat-4. Whatever you do make sure its a rat cutlery knife and not an ontario rat knife, the ontario's are inferior knives.

cclark2009

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Camby, IN
    Always have been a Buck fan. Nighthawk is sweet and all of the hunters serve their purpose well. For folders I go with Case. For fantasy I go with Hibben.

3036_35.JPG

This is actually a Hibben/Rae collaboration, but I have the standard and gold editions.:)

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I bought a Benchmade Model 42 Balisong (Butterfly Knife) last month. Pretty fun stuff, still learning the tricks to it. I very rarely wear it out, though... as I think Indy's laws are a bit harsh on "gravity blades" -_-

barricade

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    one of these to bot are top notch quality hardened cold steel oda and kershaw military boot knive. both under 50$
    both have awesome cases and multiple carry options.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    You could try and get a catalog from Atlanta Cutlery. I've bought a couple of blades from them over the years and have been pretty satisfied. They offer quite a few different products at a variety of price points.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I saw a Buck 119 Special at Walmart over the weekend for $41. Les Stroud often uses one, fwiw. Six inch clip point blade. Made in the USA. Lifetime warranty. Meets your price point parameter with money left over for a sharpener.

Personally, I use a 2 blade approach; a small blade for smaller cutting tasks (most chores), and a large blade (larger than the 119) for heavy stuff. If I could only have one, I'd go with a large blade because a large blade can often do what a small blade can (although not very well, or handily), but the converse is not true as often.

The Nighthawks mentioned are nice, but they have a rather fine point, if I recall correctly, which may be subject to breakage (the tip that is) depending on your intended use.

Shopping for knives is fun. Enjoy.

[Edited:] P.S. - Hey, this thread started on 3/14! Sorry about that.

Last edited:

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Definitely look into Ka-Bar. I got a fixed tanto blade Ka-Bar and I love it. While it is a great SHTF knife, it doesn't really qualify as a good personal carry knife I've found.

Top Bottom