• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm looking for a good quality knife for $50 or under for shtf. I need it to keep an edge. I couldn't put a better edge on a butter knife. I'm thinking I'll get a couple of the fold up utility knifes for small stuff but would like to get a fixed blade of about 6-8". The Buck Nighthawk knives look nice. I'm wanting to stay away from a serrated edge I guess as I know I'd never be able to sharpen those. I'm not a knife guru so I could use some direction. Thanks

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I've seen the guys on the survivor shows use a small fixed blade to cut wood with. They'll take a rock and hammer the back of the blade to cut through. I doubt I can find something that tough for $50 though.

I bought one of those knife sharpeners that you clamp the blade in and the hone has a rod on it that you run through a slot that sets your angle. I couldn't do very good with it. I could get a cutting edge but nowhere near a razor.

I bought a Fiskars hatchet and splitting axe so I won't need to chop wood with this knife but want something durable. Thanks for the info on those knives.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    You can get an edge that will shave your arm with the sharpener in that link. Go to about any store that sells them and ask to just try one.

You don't need to cut fire wood with your knife. Get a Leatherman with a saw, a saw, or a gerber machete with a saw on the back of it. Better yet, get a camp axe tomahawk from HBForge.com. Get the one with the pole on the back to use like a hammer.

Those straight knives I linked to are for use as a knife. If you use knives for things you need something else for, pretty soon your knife is no good for a knife.

Don't PLAN of doing everything the hard way just because some guy on a survivor show say's it's POSSIBLE. A 69 charger can do a barrel roll and jump a creek to, it's possible, I even saw it on TV. Don't mean I'm deliberately keep a Charger just in case I need to. If you think you will need a saw, buy a saw. If you think you will need a knife, buy a Buck knife. If you don't know what you might need, buy a Leatherman super tool or a Wave.

RTDoug

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    fixed blade

IMHO, a feller couldn't do better than 2 or 3 Swedish Mora blades.

Remarkably good steel, ugly as sin, but used for hundreds if not thousands of years in Scandinavia.

Inexpensive, so, for yur fifty bucks you could have 4 or so. Then dedicate one to bushcraft, one to skinning, and one for camp chores with another to loan if need be.
    :twocents:

Sportsmansguide recently has had mil-surp Moras for around 12 bucks.

Also, search Ragweed forge on the web.

Last edited:

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    If you can go $20 higher, you might want to look into getting a Spyderco Mule in S-90V. The edge holding is simply awesome.
    There are downsides: You do need to be skilled in sharpening to own this knife. Also, you'll need to make your own handle and sheath.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've never owned one of the big boys (only the Necker), but I always thought Becker would be the way to go for a big rugged knife.

CM-BK10.jpg

Looks good for only $47.97 @ Becker Knife and Tool, CM-BK10 Crewman Utility

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I've never owned one of the big boys (only the Necker), but I always thought Becker would be the way to go for a big rugged knife.

CM-BK10.jpg

Looks good for only $47.97 @ Becker Knife and Tool, CM-BK10 Crewman Utility

I had one of these and I still have their Tac-Tool. They are BAD ASS! They can definitely take almost any kind of abuse you can throw at them. Plus the hold a real nice edge. :D Mine have a Kydex scabbard though, not that nylon.

PM me and we can meet up if you want to hands on the Tac-tool.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I checked out the Swedish Moras on Sportsmans Guide. I just may go that route. I can get 4 of them for $50. I figure that way I'll get 4 times the use before they're all dull. I've been planning on getting a Gerber machete. I was in Sportsmans Warehouse, I think the day before the announcement. I was going to get the machete and hatchet but they were out. I went there last night but they were closing and wouldn't let me in. They had a sign that said the whole store is on sale. I'll go in Monday and see what I can find. Thanks for the advice.

Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I'm looking for a good quality knife for $50 or under for shtf. I need it to keep an edge. I couldn't put a better edge on a butter knife. I'm thinking I'll get a couple of the fold up utility knifes for small stuff but would like to get a fixed blade of about 6-8". The Buck Nighthawk knives look nice. I'm wanting to stay away from a serrated edge I guess as I know I'd never be able to sharpen those. I'm not a knife guru so I could use some direction. Thanks

so where are you located, or more importantly do you get to FT. Wayne very often? my buddy owns a knife store there and can set you up, probably a cheap puko by J.Martini, or a ka bar for your price range, maybe something from condor. but if you want a machete, he sells some of the Ontario's and he will convex grinde them, at that point the will outpreform anything made by Busse combat.

Grindstone Cutlery

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    The glock blades seem to get pretty good reviews, and for $25 they seem like a great value. I would recommend wrapping the grip in 550 paracord both for the utility of the paracord and to improve grip.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    If you like the leather man look into the swiss tool spirit, few less tools than the leather man, but some minor changes that you might really like, tools are accesible from the outside, all lock, and the handles are curved so when you use the pliers, you can't pinch your hands.

Glocker B-58

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Ontario (made in NY) TAK knives are rugged and hold an edge. Will carve a car, and pry open a door. And cut a steak. Maybe the best all-around fixed-blade, last-forever, canvas micarta handle, and made here.

Top Bottom