• ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have been invited to a gentlemans Amish wedding. I consider this a wonderful opportunity and experience.

However, I am at a bit of a loss for gift ideas. It's not exactly like I can give them a new DVD or Apple Tablet.

I also don't know how they would be with receiving a gift certificate. If that is kosher with them I am thinking a gift certificate to Manley's Meats, Rural King or some other local store (I refuse to give money to Walmart.)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated as I don't wish to offend and do want to give a useful gift.

Thanks,

Doug

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Doug,

All I have are jokes and I can't do that to you...The wife went to a (former) Amish wedding but they were 1st generation back on the grid...Can't go wrong with a rural king gift certificate, a couple of bricks of .22's, and I know this is going to sound weird but a massive amount of leather preservative....I am not being a smart aleck...A guy came in the shop that works for Metalloid gun cleaning products and he gave me a sample of their leather preservative...I asked him if it was safe for vintage leather and he said they make it in 5 gallon buckets for sale as well...I said, "Not being a smart a$$ but who on earth would need that much leather preservative/oil?"...He chuckled and said, "We are based out of southern Michigan with a large local Amish population....We sell it in five gallon buckets up to drums for them...They keep it in the barn and use it daily...."

Green%20Leather%20Oil-%20All.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    A lot of stuff would carryover from normal. Dishes, towels, glasses, bowls, salad set, silverware, serving spoons, rugs, candle sets, hurricane lamp, .... no electric appliances.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    ...I also don't know how they would be with receiving a gift certificate. If that is kosher with them I am thinking a gift certificate to Manley's Meats, Rural King or some other local store (I refuse to give money to Walmart.) Doug

Sounds like you know one of the participants well enough to attend, but not well enough to know what they need regarding material items. Go with your inclination of a gift card or cash, you won't offend. If it's like the weddings I've seen, keep an eye out for the outbuilding that appears to have have a higher traffic flow of guys coming and going later in the day..that's where the booze and smoking will be.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Money.. A young couple still needs to buy items for a house. Find out who drives vans around there for them.. Arrange for a trip to town for dinner and a movie

Last edited:
    Top Bottom