• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Finally got a job after 9 months unemployment when the airline I worked at for 11 years went belly up in March due to Covid. No desk job anymore, am on my feet most of the day and my feet are killing me. Got an appointment with my podiatrist to get another cortisone shot in my left one and fitted for new insoles, but good boots will surely help. My Rockports hurt bad after 4 or 5 hours, a cheap set of Eddie Bauer hiking boots actually feel better.

Anyway, the search here has changed and I can't seem to find a fairly recent post asking something similar so I thought I would just pose the question. After being out of work this long, I cannot afford $400 boots but would gladly pay up to $200 right now. I'm usually of the "buy once, cry once" policy but may be changing positions where I will have an office and be at a desk a few hours a day to help relieve some of the time on my feet. It would help a lot if I take off the 25 lbs I put on this last year too..

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I'm on soft ground a lot more often than concrete, so I use Danner hiking boots as my work boots.

I've found the Dr Scholls "custom fit" insoles to be worth it.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Depends on your job, but for a work/hiking boot I love my saloman quest 4d

A little out of budget, but not bad.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I'm a pipe fitter
    Work 10hr days, on a mixture of dirt and asphalt / concrete plus I'm in a kneeling position a lot.
    I've had good luck with Rocky and Wolverine. My current pair are Wolverine.
    I agree with camping-josh the Dr Scholls custom inserts are nice

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Working on the cargo handling components used in freighter aircraft, repairingand overhauling. Concrete floor with some anti fatigue pads around. Steel toes are not necessary.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Thorogoods get my vote. I think they are better quality than Redwings. Should be able to find them right at the 200 mark or a hair above.

Nothing against redwings but i have a very large (14s) and wide foot and find redwings a little uncomfortable with my feet. You really will never know what your foot likes until you try. Kinda like handguns.

wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    There is a strip mall on Eastern Blvd in Clarksville that has a Red Wing store and a Timberland store (that is if Covid hasn't closed them down. Both stores have always had a good selection of work boots. I chose the Timberlands over the Redwings because they are the most comfortable and best fit for me. The price is secondary.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Can’t go wrong with redwings or wolverines but I’ll add ariats to the list. Switched to ariats from wolverines a few years ago a d love them.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Working on the cargo handling components used in freighter aircraft, repairingand overhauling. Concrete floor with some anti fatigue pads around. Steel toes are not necessary.
    Do you need work boots or standing on your feet all day boots?

Would a good pair of hiking boots with good insoles make your feet happy? Find a good local hiking store with a good boot fitter. Call ahead and make an appointment so you don’t show up when the guy/gal you need is at lunch.

JRR85

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    Thorogoods get my vote. Switched to them from Redwings. Nothing wrong with Redwings I just find the Thorogoods more comfortable at the end of a 10 hour day.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Do you need work boots or standing on your feet all day boots?

Would a good pair of hiking boots with good insoles make your feet happy? Find a good local hiking store with a good boot fitter. Call ahead and make an appointment so you don’t show up when the guy/gal you need is at lunch.
    Really just need standing on my feet all day bots that I would also work in.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Blue Steel brand are the most comfortable boot. A few years ago there was store in Carmel that sold them. Now their gone. So now order from a store in South Dakota called Trav’s outfitters.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Really just need standing on my feet all day bots that I would also work in.
    In addition to hiking store maybe check out some medical uniform shoppes and running stores. Nurses spend long hours on their feet all day. When my wife was in surgery all day she would wear running shoes.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Just remember when it comes to boots you get what you pay for, don't go cheap.
    I'll usually spend $150 and up for my boots, and usually trash them in a year.
    Between running a shovel, bore mud and kneeling all the time it takes a toll on them

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Just remember when it comes to boots you get what you pay for, don't go cheap.
    I'll usually spend $150 and up for my boots, and usually trash them in a year.
    Between running a shovel, bore mud and kneeling all the time it takes a toll on them
    Yep im the same way might get a year out of a pair of 250$ boots. Im pretty tough on them to. I would love to get 2 or 3 years out of a pair like some guys claim but it just dont happen with my feet.

Top Bottom