• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    His point wasn't, do not to get a turbo in general, it was do not get one if you do not maintain your engine.
    I have beat the hell out of some of my turbo cars. Never an issue with a turbo. I was warned about them too, but I think the warning stems from the turbo issues in the late 70s.

I mean I don't go 35,000 without changing the oil but if I did the turbo would be the least of my worries.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I have beat the hell out of some of my turbo cars. Never an issue with a turbo. I was warned about them too, but I think the warning stems from the turbo issues in the late 70s.

I mean I don't go 35,000 without changing the oil but if I did the turbo would be the least of my worries.
    Daily driven turbo cars do not do well with poor maintenance and neglect, dirty oil, coolant and dirty air are hard on all engines, especially turbo engines. Most turbo cars will use oil, leading to low oil on top of dirty oil. Some manufacturers are better than others, but a lot of economy turbo cars have poorly designed PCV systems which lead to dirty sensors, throttle bodies, and intakes which then lead to more maintenance. IMO someone that wants to just drive and do maintenance whenever it crosses their mind they would be better served with a naturally aspirated engine. Usually people that don't do routine maintenance also don't want to spring for the premium fuel.
    Just my opinion after working on lots of used cars. :twocents:

Last edited:

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Jmho having owned at least 7 turbo cars over the years.

Small sample size but zero turbo issues ever and I usually put at least 150k on my cars.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Daily driven turbo cars do not do well with poor maintenance and neglect, dirty oil, coolant and dirty air are hard on all engines, especially turbo engines. Most turbo cars will use oil, leading to low oil on top of dirty oil. Some manufacturers are better than others, but a lot of economy turbo cars have poorly designed PCV systems which lead to dirty sensors, throttle bodies, and intakes which then lead to more maintenance. IMO someone that wants to just drive and do maintenance whenever it crosses their mind they would be better served with a naturally aspirated engine. Usually people that don't do routine maintenance also don't want to spring for the premium fuel.
    Just my opinion after working on lots of used cars. :twocents:
    Any words of wisdom on the Ford 2.0 Ecoboost? I know some of the first Ecoboost engines had some bobbles, but I don't hear a lot of bad about them nowadays. I've got a 2017 Escape 2.0 Ecoboost with 62k miles and no issues so far.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    If Gadston Glock made a car you would be set. Not to expensive Not to sporty.
    Reliable Somewhat boring Very practical. You will have to rethink the mullet though

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Question: I always read about CVT's being garbage, but I never read of any vast numbers of them going bad? I'm not argueing what you say 'cause I don't know that much about them. My wife and I drive Subarus with the CVT, hence my interest to learn more about them.

Early Subaru CVTs were bad. Google it and you'll find they had major issues in the early 2000s.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Any words of wisdom on the Ford 2.0 Ecoboost? I know some of the first Ecoboost engines had some bobbles, but I don't hear a lot of bad about them nowadays. I've got a 2017 Escape 2.0 Ecoboost with 62k miles and no issues so far.
    Keep clean oil, air filter and coolant in it. Don't put a tune on it and if you do some high rpm driving don't shut it off right away, take it for a cool down lap for a few minutes. Shutting off a heat soaked turbo causes trouble
    I think the biggest issue with focus/escapes have been a transmission shudder, so changing the trans fluid every 30-40k is a good idea.
    Some of the ecoboost have also been known to have a condensation issue in the intercooler, which can lead to a random misfire occurrence. Ford's solution was to move a air deflector from top of cooler to the bottom, I'm pretty sure this is more of an issue on the 3.5 EcoBoost.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    If Gadston Glock made a car you would be set. Not to expensive Not to sporty.
    Reliable Somewhat boring Very practical. You will have to rethink the mullet though
    The seats would be at an odd angle and uncomfortable, and the only remedy would be a couple of different sized seatback inserts that just make things even worse.

But people would get insanely mad when you mention that maybe it's not the best car out there.

:)

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I think the biggest issue with focus/escapes have been a transmission shudder, so changing the trans fluid every 30-40k is a good idea.
    Thanks! I've actually noticed a shudder in the last few months, but hadn't really researched the issue. It's just out of warranty (of course), so it will likely just shudder on in to a Toyota or Lexus dealer to be traded in soon, if this is a common problem.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Thanks! I've actually noticed a shudder in the last few months, but hadn't really researched the issue. It's just out of warranty (of course), so it will likely just shudder on in to a Toyota or Lexus dealer to be traded in soon, if this is a common problem.
    It is a common problem, but it's well known and Ford is for sure aware of it. There may be a TSB out for it and there may be extended coverage for it.

As much as I hate to admit it the Toyotas and Hondas are a better vehicle.

Out of curiosity, have you ever changed the transmission fluid. The service range is anywhere from 30k-100k miles so they leave plenty of room for failure

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Came across a new Bronco in the real world this week. Have not driven one, but was sad the first impression left me disappointed.

I wish there was still a reasonably priced basic utility 4wd being made.

Of course, buying a good used one saves some $$

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Came across a new Bronco in the real world this week. Have not driven one, but was sad the first impression left me disappointed.

I wish there was still a reasonably priced basic utility 4wd being made.

Of course, buying a good used one saves some $$
    2 door or 4 door? I've been hoping to see one in the wild. Although they're expensive for around here

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    The Bronco is not shipping yet. You most likely saw the Bronco Sport, which is based off the Escape chassis. The real Bronco is supposed to start shipping this summer.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    It is a common problem, but it's well known and Ford is for sure aware of it. There may be a TSB out for it and there may be extended coverage for it.

As much as I hate to admit it the Toyotas and Hondas are a better vehicle.

Out of curiosity, have you ever changed the transmission fluid. The service range is anywhere from 30k-100k miles so they leave plenty of room for failure
    No, never have changed it. Bought it new in December 2017, it's got 62k on it now. I'll look into a TSB, but not hopeful on extended coverage, as it is Ford. I know Toyotas and Hondas are better than anything rolling out of Ford right now, but in 2017 the Escape was honestly a better small SUV than the underpowered and boring Rav4 and crappy CVT laden CR-V with it's oil contamination sewing machine 1.5L engine.

Will likely go up a size to a Highlander or RX350 and get the rock solid 3.5L V6. Should have leased the Ford, should have known better than to buy one. Hell, even a Dodge should be relatively trouble-free for the full term of a 36 month lease. Maybe.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    The Bronco is not shipping yet. You most likely saw the Bronco Sport, which is based off the Escape chassis. The real Bronco is supposed to start shipping this summer.

Ah.... maybe that is what it was. It would make sense, because the thing looked like yet another "crossover suv".

The "real" Bronco is supposed to be a body on boxed frame setup, right?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Ah.... maybe that is what it was. It would make sense, because the thing looked like yet another "crossover suv".

The "real" Bronco is supposed to be a body on boxed frame setup, right?
    Yep, the new Bronco is the real deal. Body on frame, removable doors and roof, etc.

The Bronco Sport that you saw is a different model, a crossover based on the Escape platform. The Sport is actually getting pretty good reviews for light off-roading, but it isn't a dedicated rock hopper. Think of it as kind of a resurrection of the old Bronco II.

If I lived where I could go off-roading a lot, I'd have a Bronco in my garage.

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Subaru - I'm on my 3rd one. I love the Outback Wagon (*Not SUV*) but there are others that could easily be in your range of dollars.
    WRX is a fav for the speed handling junkie etc.

AWD all the time and I still get over 34mpg on my OBack.

Top Bottom